U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 09:15 AM

20 posts, read 7,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
Sounds like as good an excuse as any.

Amazing how I did it as a soldier, mechanic, then factory worker never making more than 62K a year at my peak. And wife didn't work for years, and then only worked part-time for usually about 3-5K a year.

I submit to you that most high-earning couples that forego having kids are doing so more for selfish reasons than economics. I've heard and seen it all many times. They gotta travel, have the expensive house, 2 newer SUVs, etc.
Why is it selfish to not have children? Last time I checked there is no requirement, so no justification is needed. It's actually doing the entire country, if not world, a huge favor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 09:30 AM

3,811 posts, read 1,325,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loser prole View Post
Why is it selfish to not have children? Last time I checked there is no requirement, so no justification is needed. It's actually doing the entire country, if not world, a huge favor.
If anything, it's more selfish to being a child into this world that you can't afford to support or can't love unconditionally.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:44 AM

10,260 posts, read 3,928,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
There was an earlier thread on this same thing just recently.

I don’t think the article holds water given my sons income and mine, at his age. He’s much better off than I was.
But your son is just one person amongst millions. The article might not apply to him but it could apply to many other people in his age range. Would you really invalidate information based only on one person that it doesn't apply to?

Old 08-27-2019, 10:04 AM

17,563 posts, read 19,816,796 times
If you rack up tens of thousands of dollars in student loans to get an undergrad degree that has a poor market value, then you're probably going to struggle financially for many years.

This is true for "millennials" or any generation.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:33 AM

7,166 posts, read 4,212,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If you rack up tens of thousands of dollars in student loans to get an undergrad degree that has a poor market value, then you're probably going to struggle financially for many years.

The issue is the cost explosion since the recession, even for public state colleges

Old 08-27-2019, 10:41 AM

17,563 posts, read 19,816,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
The issue is the cost explosion since the recession, even for public state colleges
The entry-level salary should be higher than the cost of a 4-year college education. Otherwise, the ROI is not worth it.

Also, parents need to save up money so they can pay the cost of their children's college education. They need to start doing this when their child is born.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:51 AM

640 posts, read 1,040,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

You didn't even address the issue. You just lashed out at people. Obviously market value means squat seeing as the market's designed to implode every 15 - 20 years; and seeing that wages haven't kept up with productivity, nor has housing with the population, there may be some apsects of the market not working they way they are supposed to. You're simply not even arguing this in good faith.

What does market value have to do with the fact that my husband and I pay more for health insurance than for rent? We're both young and healthy.

What does market value have to do with education costing the price of a luxury car?
Last i checked, every time higher degrees of education are needed, we accommodate that by making it a free public institution (elementary school in the 1800's, high-school in the 1900's, ____in the 2000's).

The wealth gap between the top and bottom is outrageous. You know these things, but argue in favor of the apparatus that corrupt the system. The market doesn't determine who does what, but the market does need a highly educated populace to function correctly.

Picking out a career and field of study is one thing. Demanding careers exists that aren't worth a respectable wage??? Letting the market determine what careers have value, despite the ones that are currently needed being devalued (First responders, Teachers, Social workers etc...) is just boot-licking nonsense. Hold those at the top as accountable as those who are just trying to function in the system that's being provided for them to navigate.

Old 08-27-2019, 12:01 PM

26,378 posts, read 33,390,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
But your son is just one person amongst millions. The article might not apply to him but it could apply to many other people in his age range. Would you really invalidate information based only on one person that it doesn't apply to?
It doesn’t apply to the great majority of the younger generation that I personally.

Old 08-27-2019, 01:05 PM

6,186 posts, read 3,013,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I type with one finger lefty because I have diabetic neuropathy in my finger tips ..so typing fast like I do has lots of strange happenings and most of the time I am not bothering to correct it...
So the reason you incorrectly use ellipsis is that due to medical condition with finger the period key accidentally gets typed 3-5 times after a sentence, but this doesn't happen with all the other letters and numbers?

Truly bizarre.

Old 08-27-2019, 01:13 PM

355 posts, read 247,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
So the reason you incorrectly use ellipsis is that due to medical condition with finger the period key accidentally gets typed 3-5 times after a sentence, but this doesn't happen with all the other letters and numbers?

Truly bizarre.
This is critical to the discussion. It is also the type of focus and discussion that drives people to contribute. Thank you for supporting a deep understanding of a fellow contributor.

Regarding the original topic, Millennial has a fairly wide range. While some manage to start careers right after college (and keep it), there is the band of folks that graduated between 2007-2011/2012 that could not find a job in their career. This stagnated their career development and/or kept them out of the industry that they went to school for.

These folks that are burdened with debt that they have not been able to shed will be the ones hurt further by another recession. I graduated 2005 and was lucky enough to get some establishment in my career that rode out the recession. However at the time I saw the plight of those trying to start during the recession, and has kept them suppressed and bypassed. Bad timing and luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or