U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 08:20 AM

99 posts, read 8,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
including, crucially, my ACA payments of about $28,000 a year, [/list]
You pay $28k a year for the 'Affordable Care Act' ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:36 AM

16,398 posts, read 6,483,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
You pay $28k a year for the 'Affordable Care Act' ?
My monthly premium to MVP Premier.

As on add-on to my earlier post another significant payment that I cannot make through a rebate credit-card is my mortgage; about $13,000 a year for a bit more than one more year.

Old Today, 12:39 PM

9,802 posts, read 10,652,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I was listening to Frank Abagnale talk about his life. He has spent the past 40 years working for the FBI. He is an interesting person to listen to. Some years back a movie about him was made based on his book, Catch Me If You Can

In a question and answer segment he was asked about debit cards. He commented that he never uses them. That a debit card does nothing for you and can open you up to fraud. He says he uses credit cards for everything. When the bill comes he pays off the bill.

Frank mentions that with a credit card, if you suspect fraud, you call your credit card company and they will suspend the payments to the fraud. They will cancel your card and send you a new one right away.

With a debit card you might lose your money, wont have use of it until an investigation takes place. It might take weeks to get your money back.

While a credit card used wisely builds your credit, a debit card does nothing for you.

With a credit card you are using someone else's money during the month for free, as long as you pay off the balance when the statement comes. Your money stays in your bank and only comes out when you make that payment.

The idea sounds intriguing. Anyone else using a credit card to pay the bills and then paying it off each month and not using a debit card?
I do exactly this, and have done it for years.

I don't want for the end of the month however....I pay the balance off as soon as it changes from pending and hits my card.

I earn a lot of points this way, which I apply directly to the bill. I never pay interest, and have probably earned thousands in points by now.

Only a couple time have I had an issue with the charge, and the CC company immediately takes my side.

I only use the debit card to pull out cash when I need cash on hand.

Old Today, 12:57 PM

3,622 posts, read 2,230,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
My monthly premium to MVP Premier.
What does this have to do with ACA?

Old Today, 01:57 PM

7,993 posts, read 4,524,423 times
"I don't want for the end of the month however....I pay the balance off as soon as it changes from pending and hits my card. I earn a lot of points this way..."

I don't understand this; aren't rewards points based on the amount you charge rather than when you pay it off?

Old Today, 02:08 PM
Status: "Whatever it takes - ‘cause I love the adrenaline in my veins" (set 1 day ago)

2,537 posts, read 600,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
"I don't want for the end of the month however....I pay the balance off as soon as it changes from pending and hits my card. I earn a lot of points this way..."

I don't understand this; aren't rewards points based on the amount you charge rather than when you pay it off?
Yes, as long as you aren’t late - and not only that, one would have to keep continuously paying on (practically) a daily basis if one was going to ‘pay the balance’ every time a charge ‘hits the card’ (which is instantaneous). I can pay for dinner and literally two seconds later, I’m alerted of my charge via text.

Old Today, 06:48 PM

16,398 posts, read 6,483,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post

If you have insurance, but not through your employer, i.e. an individual or family plan, not Medicare and not Medicaid, the coverage is under the Affordable Care Act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or