U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:06 PM

6,826 posts, read 4,257,699 times

Advertisements

We don't have a debit card at all, we got rid of it years ago. We do have ATM cards, but they are for the ATM only. Otherwise, we use either cash or the credit card--paid off every month--for everything.

A couple of months ago, I found two purchases (to the same vendor) on our credit card statement that we had not made. I don't know how someone got hold of our number, but one quick call to the credit card line and our old card was canceled, we were issued new cards, and the fraudulent charges were reversed. Yes, it was a minor hassle, but if someone hacks your debit card, the money is just plain gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:09 PM

676 posts, read 203,085 times
I prefer to use my bank bill pay for my bills. I put big purchases on my CC. I don’t want every little item on my CC and then have to analyze the bill. Seems like to much work.

Old Yesterday, 09:10 PM

3,967 posts, read 1,459,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I charge everything I can ...I never carry a balance . Never use a debit card
That's because you Big Time lol No seriously I want to start doing that next year now that I started a new job with a $15,000 increase in salary

Old Yesterday, 09:17 PM

3,967 posts, read 1,459,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
This is what I do, and precisely why. (That and, the credit card helps with a credit score. I don't need a credit card-- I don't buy things I don't already have the money for-- but unfortunately we all need to play the credit "game" so I do need a credit score.)

It feels stupid and ridiculous, but nobody has a choice about the credit game, and he's right that I feel my money is safer with the credit card.

I have a "rewards" card through my bank, but it's useless; the "rewards" are some gift card or something I will never use. I'd rather have cash back, but that's not what my bank offers. If I ever get a second card not through my bank, I'd make sure it was a "cash back" rewards card. And then, frankly, I'd be likely to charge everything on that card, pay it off with the other card, and then pay that off. A stupid little dance, but, again, everyone needs a credit score.
That's the type of debit card I have which through the credit union and offers 2% cash back.

Old Yesterday, 09:19 PM

262 posts, read 126,175 times
Yup joined Navy Federal Credit Union in 1984 while stationed in Hawaii still using their credit card (re issued many times) for all the above reasons
and
now that I am retired it is a good budgeting tool I frequently glance at it during the month to see how much I have spent so far and glance back to previous monthly payoffs to see that I am staying under my monthly budget.

Old Yesterday, 09:31 PM

6,162 posts, read 2,362,121 times
We sent much of our lives poor and close to broke and never got into the credit card problem. Probably because I am cheap but even when we lived paycheque to paycheque the credit card was paid in full every month except for one or two months in the 80s. Now it is an automatic payment so I cannot even be late.

Just remember that one of the credit cards I hardly used I was late on a payment and had to pay eleven cents interest. Only cc o interest this century.

Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM

4,043 posts, read 1,733,407 times
I've never had a debit card, always tell the bank I just want an ATM card. It may say debit card, but if it gets misappropriated, they won't get much.

Old Yesterday, 09:56 PM

2,478 posts, read 584,393 times
Yep - and an added bonus is rewards/credits as well as an end-of-year detailed summary of expenses (which can make life easier in terms of tax returns). If you use American Express, you can’t carry a balance (and you get travel perks as well).

There is also the built-in security; I immediately receive a text notification for charges over a preset dollar amount as well as for any purchase made without my card being present to prevent fraud.

Old Yesterday, 10:16 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,503,987 times
It's a no brainer to use your credit card for everything you can. I've never heard a good reason not to.

Old Yesterday, 10:43 PM

18,093 posts, read 54,710,858 times
No debit card, no ATM card - haven't used an ATM in twenty years, have refused offers of a debit card. Most things go on a credit card. I no longer use the bill-pay stuff, after the numerous changing of software providers annoyed me too much. I call in my payments and don't bother with the online junk.

Be aware that there is no data security with credit cards. It will be a big problem in the future. That bar tab might end up working against you in a lawsuit, or cause an increase in your insurance costs. Maybe not today, but if the past is any indication...

For those who need a way to stop easy spending, carry a checkbook register with you and record each CC purchase at the time of transaction. It'll give you instant feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or