U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:02 AM

28,882 posts, read 62,958,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
My credit card sends me a text when ever it is used and I love that feature.
Really? I'd find that highly annoying.
Quote:
I like the comments that I have heard here.
Then start calling it an ATM card again:
tuck that ATM card back in the wallet until you have a deposit or withdraw to make.
Quote:
...the idea is to use the CREDIT card ... and pay it off each month.
There ya go.
No rolling balances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM

14,597 posts, read 8,047,497 times
That's exactly what we do every month. Our average bill is around $3000 a month and it is a reward card. We put our cable bill on it, groceries, restaurants, gas, entertainment, whatever we can. We even bought part of our car with it. It's a nightmare when it gets compromised and it has been about three times. My cell phone is on the credit card and it got shut off because we forgot to reinstate it after one compromise, ditto with the IPass. We only have one credit card and yes, we pay it off at the end of the month. We've had some free round trip tickets, and we flew to Scotland for a little over $200 round trip for both of us. It's been a good thing for us, well except for the compromises.

Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM

10,095 posts, read 4,721,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Really? I'd find that highly annoying.

Annoying? Maybe a bit, but a small annoyance for the security in not only knowing when your card is charged but by what merchant and for how much. Even if it is an authorized charge it is useful. If I just bought something online for $25 it's good to know the charge was actually for $25 and not $250. If it is an auto-pay charge for the electric bill, it's good to know it is for the $110 I owe and not $500. And there have been two separate times I caught fraudulent use, immediately notified the card, and had it stopped. It's especially comforting when I am traveling outside the country. The notification is instant with me getting the text within a few seconds of the card being swiped.

Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM

28,882 posts, read 62,958,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Annoying?
With EVERY transaction? Yeah

Out of the ordinary use (amounts, vendors, etc) are another matter - and I do get those notices.
But not every time I run through my regular day to day uses (gas station or grocer or barber etc.)

Old Yesterday, 09:39 AM

91 posts, read 16,721 times
Quote:
I was listening to Frank Abagnale talk about his life. He has spent the past 40 years working for the FBI. He is an interesting person to listen to. Some years back a movie about him was made based on his book, Catch Me If You Can

In a question and answer segment he was asked about debit cards. He commented that he never uses them. That a debit card does nothing for you and can open you up to fraud. He says he uses credit cards for everything. When the bill comes he pays off the bill.

Frank mentions that with a credit card, if you suspect fraud, you call your credit card company and they will suspend the payments to the fraud. They will cancel your card and send you a new one right away.

With a debit card you might lose your money, wont have use of it until an investigation takes place. It might take weeks to get your money back.

While a credit card used wisely builds your credit, a debit card does nothing for you.

With a credit card you are using someone else's money during the month for free, as long as you pay off the balance when the statement comes. Your money stays in your bank and only comes out when you make that payment.

The idea sounds intriguing. Anyone else using a credit card to pay the bills and then paying it off each month and not using a debit card?

Yes, for the last 40 years (I have a mileage card where the miles do not expire and a cash back card).

Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM

10,095 posts, read 4,721,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
With EVERY transaction? Yeah

Out of the ordinary use (amounts, vendors, etc) are another matter - and I do get those notices.
But not every time I run through my regular day to day uses (gas station or grocer or barber etc.)

The nice thing about transaction notifications is you can set the parameters for types and amounts. I have it set to all. I just don't find it that difficult to ignore the phone vibration of a transaction text when I just swiped my card as a gas pump or store card reader.

Old Yesterday, 10:57 AM

5,375 posts, read 3,720,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Annoying? Maybe a bit, but a small annoyance for the security in not only knowing when your card is charged but by what merchant and for how much. Even if it is an authorized charge it is useful. If I just bought something online for $25 it's good to know the charge was actually for $25 and not $250. If it is an auto-pay charge for the electric bill, it's good to know it is for the $110 I owe and not $500. And there have been two separate times I caught fraudulent use, immediately notified the card, and had it stopped. It's especially comforting when I am traveling outside the country. The notification is instant with me getting the text within a few seconds of the card being swiped.
What I would find annoying would be a large charge by someone other than me on the card. I get notified for every purchase and I like it.

Old Yesterday, 10:58 AM

4,119 posts, read 3,336,805 times
Quote:
While a credit card used wisely builds your credit, a debit card does nothing for you.

With a credit card you are using someone else's money during the month for free, as long as you pay off the balance when the statement comes. Your money stays in your bank and only comes out when you make that payment.

The idea sounds intriguing. Anyone else using a credit card to pay the bills and then paying it off each month and not using a debit card?
I quit using my debit card for anything, except directly at my bank's ATM. Its sole purpose is to extract cash, for the few cash-only transactions I do per month: $200-500, usually, for the kids to do landscaping and etc.

One hundred percent of the rest are AmX Platinum (90%). Sapphire MC, remainder, for those who don't do AmX. "If"...and it's a bit If...AmX Platinum is for you, it is one of the higher-return cards. You must use the benefits, though, to offset the $550/year or so fee. The Uber benefits and a few other day-to-day pay for it, if used monthly. I travel whenever I can, and the upgrades art totally worth it on Delta, and National, and Hilton respectively.

So, I sponge up points. Just used a bunch for a First Class upgrade on a short-hop. I do enjoy First Class, others don't care. There is NO downside to doing this in my life, and I'm protected. Agreed. I pay 100% of the balance each month.

My credit is stellar. A boast, yeah. It just is...and if yours is too, something to seriously consider.

Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM

19,005 posts, read 13,840,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
I quit using my debit card for anything, except directly at my bank's ATM. Its sole purpose is to extract cash, for the few cash-only transactions I do per month: $200-500, usually, for the kids to do landscaping and etc.

One hundred percent of the rest are AmX Platinum (90%). Sapphire MC, remainder, for those who don't do AmX. "If"...and it's a bit If...AmX Platinum is for you, it is one of the higher-return cards. You must use the benefits, though, to offset the $550/year or so fee. The Uber benefits and a few other day-to-day pay for it, if used monthly. I travel whenever I can, and the upgrades art totally worth it on Delta, and National, and Hilton respectively.

So, I sponge up points. Just used a bunch for a First Class upgrade on a short-hop. I do enjoy First Class, others don't care. There is NO downside to doing this in my life, and I'm protected. Agreed. I pay 100% of the balance each month.

My credit is stellar. A boast, yeah. It just is...and if yours is too, something to seriously consider.

The plat card isnít a good earnings card except for travel booking with them or directly with airlines.

Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM

8,129 posts, read 4,472,165 times
I am with you. With an ever increasing likelihood of identity theft, etc, why be annoyed at a little added watchfulness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
What I would find annoying would be a large charge by someone other than me on the card. I get notified for every purchase and I like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or