Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 04:27 PM

8,444 posts, read 3,701,392 times

Advertisements

So far Amazon has received over 200,000 applications/resumes in response to their announced 30,000 job openings (from entry level to software development engineers).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 04:59 PM

8,849 posts, read 11,636,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
So far Amazon has received over 200,000 applications/resumes in response to their announced 30,000 job openings (from entry level to software development engineers).
All my life I have been hearing immigrants are needed to do jobs Americans won't do. This one event clearly proves that Americans are willing to work.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:14 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,086,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
All my life I have been hearing immigrants are needed to do jobs Americans won't do. This one event clearly proves that Americans are willing to work.
Yep, me too.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:23 PM

42,717 posts, read 25,880,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
if you're willing to work you'll develop skills. So many lazy people in the workforce these days, it's easy to get ahead.
skills? it doesn't take many skills to work in an amazon warehouse, my son did it for 2 or 3 years, this was in Fernley NV before they were as automated as they are now but he said it was a miserable job. You are on your feet for 8 hours and you walk 10-13 miles during your shift if you're a picker. They give you points for being late or missing work with or without an excuse, after you acquire enough points they automatically fire you. I think they may have changed this but when he was there he had to stand in line for 20-30 minutes on his own time at the end of the shift while they searched everyone who was going home. He said they target long term direct hires for firing because they are paying them more, they prefer to get rid of them and replace them with temp workers
https://dailycaller.com/2019/04/26/a...ght-warehouse/

Old 09-20-2019, 05:30 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,287,453 times
Amazon gets a bad rap, but the fact is, they are offering jobs and benefits to people. Many of these jobs may soon be gone. Take it while you can.

Old 09-20-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
skills? it doesn't take many skills to work in an amazon warehouse, my son did it for 2 or 3 years, this was in Fernley NV before they were as automated as they are now but he said it was a miserable job. You are on your feet for 8 hours and you walk 10-13 miles during your shift if you're a picker. They give you points for being late or missing work with or without an excuse, after you acquire enough points they automatically fire you. I think they may have changed this but when he was there he had to stand in line for 20-30 minutes on his own time at the end of the shift while they searched everyone who was going home. He said they target long term direct hires for firing because they are paying them more, they prefer to get rid of them and replace them with temp workers
The minimum rate for permanent employees (as well as temporary/seasonal) is the same - $15/hr. Amazon has also been part of the push for a higher federal minimum wage.

Old 09-20-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
The minimum rate for permanent employees (as well as temporary/seasonal) is the same - $15/hr. Amazon has also been part of the push for a higher federal minimum wage.
Right but temps don't get benefits mainly because they don't let them work enough hours to receive them and they also don't guarantee them hours, it's common for temp workers to show up for a shift and get sent home. And since they went to $15 an hour hourly employees no longer receive stock options or bonuses. From what I've read Amazon is actually saving money by paying $15 an hour and not giving out those perks. When my son worked there - over a decade ago he was a direct hire and started at around $12.50 and was getting around $14 when he quit and that was in Nevada which has a $8.25 minimum wage

Old 09-20-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Right but temps don't get benefits and new hires @ $15 an hour don't get the stock options or hourly bonuses. From what I've read they are actually saving money by paying $15 an hour and not giving out those perks. When my son worked there - over a decade ago he was a direct hire and started at around $12.50 and was getting around $14 when he quit and that was in Nevada which has a $8.25 minimum wage
The critical point, however, is - you cannot state they fire permanent workers in order to replace them with temporary workers (who are seasonal). Most temps, by the way, are hired through agencies such as ISS (and are not employees of Amazon) - meaning their bottom line goes way beyond the $15/hr.

Old 09-20-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
The critical point, however, is - you cannot state they fire permanent workers in order to replace them with temporary workers (who are seasonal). Most temps, by the way, are hired through agencies such as ISS (and are not employees of Amazon) - meaning their bottom line goes way beyond the $15/hr.
I can state it because they do it. It's obvious that even with temp agency fees amazon benefits from hiring them - year round. And there is nothing "seasonal" about temp workers many of them work nearly full time, they are just more convenient for Amazon because when they show up for a shift you can send them home and it costs Amazon nothing, they can also tell the agency not to send a particular worker back, that beats the heck out of fighting unemployment claims, and their pay never goes up, there are no scheduled increases for temps, you are hired at $15 an hour and if you work 5 years you still get paid $5 an hour.

Amazon has always done this kind of stuff, I'm not sure why you doubt it. Amazon now has machines that tracks worker productivity and if it falls below their standard that same machine generates a termination notice.

Don't kid yourself, Amazon doesn't give a crap about their employees and they never have.

https://nypost.com/2019/07/13/inside...ouse-employee/

Old 09-20-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
I can state it because they do it. It's obvious that even with temp agency fees amazon benefits from hiring them - year round. And there is nothing "seasonal" about temp workers many of them work nearly full time, they are just more convenient for Amazon because when they show up for a shift you can send them home and it costs Amazon nothing, they can also tell the agency not to send a particular worker back, that beats the heck out of fighting unemployment claims, and their pay never goes up, there are no scheduled increases for temps, you are hired at $15 an hour and if you work 5 years you still get paid $5 an hour.

Amazon has always done this kind of stuff, I'm not sure why you doubt it. Amazon now has machines that tracks worker productivity and if it falls below their standard that same machine generates a termination notice.

Don't kid yourself, Amazon doesn't give a crap about their employees and they never have.
I didn’t say I doubted (or believed) anything you are stating (about your son being a ‘fire’ target) nor am I speaking to whether Amazon ‘cares’ about their employees. Of course, there will be disgruntled employees and various issues along the way; they have gone from eleven employees to over 600,000 - they provide full benefits for part time, a minimal wage of $15 an hour and upskilling opportunities. That you want to whine about Amazon (or various staffing agency partners i.e. ISS, etc.) without understanding the differences (in cost to Amazon) or any direct first-hand experience to substantiate it in the midst of Amazon receiving over 200,000 applicants for 30,000 positions - is suspect. Maybe they didn’t get your son’s memo.

You can’t speak publicly to Amazon’s hiring practices or their intent i.e. firing permanent workers to replace them with temp workers ‘to save money’ as if it is routinely done. You have to be able to prove it beyond your opinion (intent as well). Meanwhile, 30000 new permanent jobs are available
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics