U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 09:43 PM

31,836 posts, read 14,228,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I didn’t say I doubted (or believed) anything you are stating (about your son being a ‘fire’ target) nor am I speaking to whether Amazon ‘cares’ about their employees. Of course, there will be disgruntled employees and various issues along the way; they have gone from eleven employees to over 600,000 - they provide full benefits for part time, a minimal wage of $15 an hour and upskilling opportunities. That you want to whine about Amazon (or various staffing agency partners i.e. ISS, etc.) without understanding the differences (in cost to Amazon) or any direct first-hand experience to substantiate it in the midst of Amazon receiving over 200,000 applicants for 30,000 positions - is suspect. Maybe they didn’t get your son’s memo.

You can’t speak publicly to Amazon’s hiring practices or their intent i.e. firing permanent workers to replace them with temp workers ‘to save money’ as if it is routinely done. You have to be able to prove it beyond your opinion (intent as well). Meanwhile, 30000 new permanent jobs are available
I lived in Reno and knew a number of Amazon workers and their experience was all the same, the money was good but the work was soul crushing, it was moving non stop for your entire shift hoping that you didn't get stuck with a broken scanner or make a mistake because your only recourse was to work twice as fast to make up for the lost time. Miss too much work even if you are in the hospital and you're fired

And I am not 'whining', I have no reason to, I don't work there. My son worked there while he was putting himself through college and he's didn't whine either but the fact that Amazon doesn't give a crap about their employees became very clear to him after he quit and went to work for Costco, a company that values its employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 10:00 PM
Status: "Whatever it takes - Ďcause I love the adrenaline in my veins" (set 27 days ago)

2,702 posts, read 654,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I lived in Reno and knew a number of Amazon workers and their experience was all the same, the money was good but the work was soul crushing, it was moving non stop for your entire shift hoping that you didn't get stuck with a broken scanner or make a mistake because your only recourse was to work twice as fast to make up for the lost time. Miss too much work even if you are in the hospital and you're fired

And I am not 'whining', I have no reason to, I don't work there. My son worked there while he was putting himself through college and he's didn't whine either but the fact that Amazon doesn't give a crap about their employees became very clear to him after he quit and went to work for Costco, a company that values its employees.
This is completely different than what you originally said i.e. Amazonís practices routinely include firing and replacing permanent workers with temps in order to save money (per your son).

Old 09-20-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
This is completely different than what you originally said i.e. Amazonís practices routinely include firing and replacing permanent workers with temps in order to save money (per your son).
No, it is not different than what I said, I merely did not repeat what I had already said, why should I? How am I supposed to argue that with you, I tell you what my son (and other Amazon employees told me) and you say I'm wrong- that makes continuing that discussion a waste of time, don't you think?

Old 09-20-2019, 11:14 PM
Status: "Whatever it takes - Ďcause I love the adrenaline in my veins" (set 27 days ago)

Quote:
No, it is not different than what I said, I merely did not repeat what I had already said, why should I? How am I supposed to argue that with you, I tell you what my son (and other Amazon employees told me) and you say I'm wrong- that makes continuing that discussion a waste of time, don't you think?
I wasnít asking for you to repeat it - or telling you that you were wrong (though I do believe you are). I was simply asking for your proof (beyond your son telling you) of Amazonís hiring practices re: routinely firing and replacing permanent workers with temps to save money. If you donít have any proof, no problem - that was my point all along. In any case, the 30,000 employment openings per the thread are permanent positions.

Old Today, 12:07 PM

Quote:
I wasnít asking for you to repeat it - or telling you that you were wrong (though I do believe you are). I was simply asking for your proof (beyond your son telling you) of Amazonís hiring practices re: routinely firing and replacing permanent workers with temps to save money. If you donít have any proof, no problem - that was my point all along. In any case, the 30,000 employment openings per the thread are permanent positions.
I just ran across this article, I thought it might be of interest to you. While it doesn't specifically address firing employees in order to replace them with temps, it does give you an idea of what a great employer Amazon is:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/1/2...me0h9TQq_ScW_0

Old Today, 03:37 PM

Quote:
I just ran across this article, I thought it might be of interest to you. While it doesn't specifically address firing employees in order to replace them with temps, it does give you an idea of what a great employer Amazon is:
There arenít many jobs anywhere that provide full benefits to part-time employees. That said, part-time employees at Amazon who work over 20 hours per week do receive benefits (life, disability, vision and dental insurance and funding towards medical); and, in fact, the 30,000 new positions per the thread were announced as permanent positions with benefits.

In any company the size of Amazon, there are going to be individual cases of disgruntled workers (or mistakes made). No one is claiming Amazon is perfect (or that you wonít find an individual piece or complaint), but it didnít get to where it is today by abusing employees nor would they have received the incredible number of responses they did to the announced 30,000 employee openings, either. In all fairness, there are some cases in which people donít want to do their jobs (warehouse workers to supervisors to directors) - or those who would complain no matter who they worked for. There are two sides to every story. There are also many part-time jobs which donít offer any benefits.

That being said, youíre right - it doesnít address your claim ĎAmazon routinely fires and replaces employees with temps in order to save moneyí.

Old Today, 03:54 PM

22,965 posts, read 9,834,167 times
Good--those steelworkers getting laid off are going to need new jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics