Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 10:05 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That's not how I am reading it:

Typically, commercial banks will pay account-holders a small interest rate for storing their money with the bank. With negative interest rates, account holders get charged a nominal rate instead, so they lose money by keeping it in the bank.

The idea behind negative interest rates on savings accounts is to encourage people to spend. If savers have to pay for their money to be stored, ideally they'll be more likely to spend it instead.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/...9-8-1028516867
Banks need a supply of capital to lend. Negative nominal rates make that hard. It’s a very last ditch policy to stop deflation.

For the most part when people are talking about negative rates they are talking in terms of Real rates, not nominal rates. I doubt Trump understands the difference honestly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 10:12 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Banks need a supply of capital to lend. Negative nominal rates make that hard. It’s a very last ditch policy to stop deflation.

For the most part when people are talking about negative rates they are talking in terms of Real rates, not nominal rates. I doubt Trump understands the difference honestly.

Yeah, just have to wait and see. Calling for negative rates while saying how booming our economy is, makes no sense. I'm actually used to that now.

As with all the rest, just have to wait and see.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-13-2019, 10:54 AM

18,804 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Quote:

Your smaller local banks might still need your deposits to lend. But loans create deposits.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...land-austerity

Since the 2008 crash and QE's, member banks still have vast excess reserves, and still not enough reliable borrowers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excess...1984to2019.png

Old 09-13-2019, 11:15 AM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
His debt load on his properties is enornmous. He needs lower rates. He also wants inflation.

Old 09-13-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Your smaller local banks might still need your deposits to lend. But loans create deposits.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...land-austerity

Since the 2008 crash and QE's, member banks still have vast excess reserves, and still not enough reliable borrowers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excess...1984to2019.png
The savings glut is what is forcing rates down to begin with. Basic supply/demand.

Lower rates lead to more investment and less savings, but the question I have is how linear that is. Rates are already super low. How much are firms sitting on projects waiting for even lower rates.

I’m sitting through a series of lectures with a senior Fed official over the course of the next few months. Very interested to get his perspective.

Old 09-13-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
The savings glut is what is forcing rates down to begin with. Basic supply/demand.

Lower rates lead to more investment and less savings, but the question I have is how linear that is. Rates are already super low. How much are firms sitting on projects waiting for even lower rates.

I’m sitting through a series of lectures with a senior Fed official over the course of the next few months. Very interested to get his perspective.
I don't think that banks' excess reserves actually reflect a savings glut. Because within the banking system everything zeros out. With QE's banks exchanged debt paper for an equal amount of Fed money created out of thin air.

Old 09-13-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
I don't think that banks' excess reserves actually reflect a savings glut. Because within the banking system everything zeros out. With QE's banks exchanged debt paper for an equal amount of Fed money created out of thin air.
Not just savings in banks. Savings meaning capital not spent on consumption goods or invested in capital projects.

Old 09-13-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Not just savings in banks. Savings meaning capital not spent on consumption goods or invested in capital projects.
OK savings meaning not spending. Not spending so inflation kept down. So low interest rates to encourage it all...

Old 09-13-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
OK savings meaning not spending. Not spending so inflation kept down. So low interest rates to encourage it all...
That’s the generally held macroeconomic view as I understand it, and it’s a global saving glut, not US.

Old 09-13-2019, 03:21 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Trump tweets that he favors zero or negative interest rates in order to prevent a recession. While these rates are popular in Japan and Europe, they have never been tried in the USA.

Negative interest rates, in particular, frighten many Americans because they fear that the commercial banks will increase fees on savings account to pass on the costs.

The 10,000 JPY banknote worth $92.75 in USD is extremely popular in Japan because they can keep their wealth in home safes. Circulation of these banknotes is between 9 and 10 billion notes for a population of roughly 126 million.

While the FED reports that there are 13.435 billion $100 banknotes are in circulation as of the end of 2018 for a population of about 330 million, upwards to 75% of the Benjamins are believed to be in circulation in foreign countries.

Will Trump's tweet cause a bank run on $100 bills? Will calls for the government to re-issue the $500 banknote increase?
If there were a 'fee' on a savings account...basically charging me for the priviledge of using *my* money...I wouldn't have a savings account...oh, wait, I don't have one anyway, what isn't in my checking account is either stashed where I can get it any time I want it or in my pocket...yeah, the pocket where I have to slide my pistol back to reach into it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I'm skeptical that your average blue collar worker will see a tweet by Trump about interest rates and decide they need to go hoard $100 bills.
I already do. Since the day my debit card was turned off due to a [$7.00] fraudulent charge and I had already filled my gas tank but had no cash on me (embarrassing, to say the least) I now carry a wad of hundreds at all times, with more where I can get it if I need it. I also carry some 1oz silver bullion pieces as a 'last resort' emergency stash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics