U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 09:51 AM
 
8,566 posts, read 2,570,985 times
Reputation: 5938

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
This is exactly how economies DO NOT work. If your thought process was correct, GDP would be exactly the same as it was 50 years ago. More people is one of the key driving factors for more economic growth.
My thought process is inarguably correct. Immigrants get a share of the wealth already created, secured, and owned by the natives. They add something to the numerator, but they add far more (proportionately) to the denominator, making Americans poorer per capita.

Last edited by hbdwihdh378y9; Yesterday at 10:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 10:01 AM
 
2,587 posts, read 1,492,087 times
Reputation: 5430
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
My thought process is inarguably correct. Immigrants get a share of the wealth already created, secured, and owned by the natives. They add something to the numerator, but they add far more (proportionately) to the denominator, making Americans poorer.
Everyone here has immigrant roots and the vast majority were dirt poor when they got here. Your view is not only incorrect it is incredibly ignorant of our history.

Our country has thrived because of immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:07 AM
 
8,566 posts, read 2,570,985 times
Reputation: 5938
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Ummm no. The market doesn’t magically produce more people. Japan is a great example of this.
Yes, Japan proves my point. The market doesn't magically produce MORE people. It magically produces the right number. Japan's population decline is good for the Japanese. It increases per-capita wealth.

If labor is not reproducing itself in equal or greater numbers, that means that the value of labor does not justify its production in greater numbers. If it looked like our kids would have bright economic futures, the way it appeared to parents of kids born in the 1950's, we would be having more kids.

Of course, one of many factors destroying the American dream for natives is immigration. Immigration suppresses birth rates, and then the birth rates suppressed by immigration are used as a justification for more immigration. All the justifications for immigration are complete BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:20 AM
 
8,566 posts, read 2,570,985 times
Reputation: 5938
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
Everyone here has immigrant roots and the vast majority were dirt poor when they got here. Your view is not only incorrect it is incredibly ignorant of our history.

Our country has thrived because of immigration.
My view is a mathematical fact. It can't be disputed. Your response again underscores the fact that you are wholly ignorant of the most fundamental economic facts. If you increase the country's population more than you increase its wealth, you decrease per-capita wealth. And that's exactly what immigration does.

There is a difference between the dynamics of settlement of a vast almost vacant land and immigration after dominion over the land was secured for the benefit of the settlers and their posterity. The facts are now that immigration decreases the wealth of natives while also decreasing their political power. These are simple logically ineluctable facts.

Last edited by hbdwihdh378y9; Yesterday at 10:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:32 AM
 
Location: Washington Park, Denver
7,107 posts, read 6,741,058 times
Reputation: 7703
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
My view is a mathematical fact. It can't be disputed. Your response again underscores the fact that you are wholly ignorant of the most fundamental economic facts. If you increase the country's population more than you increase its wealth, you decrease per-capita wealth. And that's exactly what immigration does.

There is a difference between the dynamics of settlement of a vast almost vacant land and immigration after dominion over the land was secured for the benefit of the settlers and their posterity. The facts are now that immigration decreases the wealth of natives while also decreasing their political power. These are simple logically ineluctable facts.
You really need to take an economics class. Your assumption is that wealth is fixed and that’s fundamentally incorrect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:37 AM
 
8,566 posts, read 2,570,985 times
Reputation: 5938
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
You really need to take an economics class. Your assumption is that wealth is fixed and that’s fundamentally incorrect.
I agree that it's not fixed. In fact, I said that in the comment you were responding to.

But immigration does very little to increase wealth. And it certainly does less to increase wealth than it does to increase population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:41 AM
 
Location: Washington Park, Denver
7,107 posts, read 6,741,058 times
Reputation: 7703
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
I agree that it's not fixed. In fact, I said that in the comment you were responding to.

But immigration does very little to increase wealth. And it certainly does less to increase wealth than it does to increase population.
Again, the economic data says the opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Midwest
4,407 posts, read 7,251,293 times
Reputation: 7714
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
And there it is, the real reason for the resistance to immigration.
Always first to blame "racism." Review The Story of the Boy Who Cried Wolf, please.

Self-preservation and cultural preservation are very valid reasons for laws and behaviors. People who dish on Western Civ should try a permanent move to Cuba, Venezuela, South Africa, Zimbabwe, any of a number of nations that have been "liberated" in the past 50 years. Make sure you renounce your US Citizenship, don't forget that!

When Western Civilization is replaced by Mexican/Central American/Red Chinese "Civilization," what will you say then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Washington Park, Denver
7,107 posts, read 6,741,058 times
Reputation: 7703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Always first to blame "racism." Review The Story of the Boy Who Cried Wolf, please.

Self-preservation and cultural preservation are very valid reasons for laws and behaviors. People who dish on Western Civ should try a permanent move to Cuba, Venezuela, South Africa, Zimbabwe, any of a number of nations that have been "liberated" in the past 50 years. Make sure you renounce your US Citizenship, don't forget that!

When Western Civilization is replaced by Mexican/Central American/Red Chinese "Civilization," what will you say then?
These ideas stoke irrational fears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM
 
1,610 posts, read 1,396,994 times
Reputation: 1340
Default Yahoo is

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post



...left leaning like CNN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top