Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 07:20 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,073,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I’m not conflating anything so that leaves you with just making things up
You just proved my point. Thanks.

To sharpen the pencil for you. Rakin wrote one thing and you argued something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 07:25 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Abqaiq. The name of the place is Abqaiq. (Ab-cake)

I've been there, in fact all the major places in Saudi Arabia: Dharan, Damman, Abqaiq, Riyadh (just an airport landing), Khobar, Jedda, Taif, Ras Tunara, Cucumma (more a region than a place). Granted, as a child, in the 70s, but never the less.........

That said, my worry is, despite all the reassurances to why not, that we will have a consumer generated shortage like we had with Hurricane Harvey. I asked that question in the political forum.....and was told not to worry.

Nevertheless, while the restriction on non essential trips will probably be rescinded, I will probably up the requirement to top my tanks on each return to the ranch (yeah, I know, contributing to a consumer generated shortage).

When it is almost 10 miles back to town, every extra gallon can be precious.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:09 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
You just proved my point. Thanks.

To sharpen the pencil for you. Rakin wrote one thing and you argued something else.
I didn’t prove your point because your response was bs. Just because you are pro environment doesn’t mean you are Democrat, leftist or liberal. Rakin’s post commented about opposition to offshore drilling or fracking by democrats, do you have to be a Democrat to oppose either?

Old 09-15-2019, 08:35 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,555,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
I don't know if my clearance continued after I retired out, like so many big shots from Washington still have clearances for absolutely no reason. I'll check.

I figure things out. I've been a student and a professional in human behavior for a long time.
I know what a psyop is. I know what a liar is. I know what motivates people, and it's not always wanting to do good and seek justice. Power and wealth motivate, and a thirst for war.

Some things are so obvious as to beg outright laughter. The Vegas shooting for instance. The "shooter's" hotel room was obviously staged. It was neat as a pin, a few rifles were laid down because most people don't know anything about "assault rifles" and if they see a photo of a gun they figure that's good enough.
The floor would have been littered with spent shell casings. There were none.
Witnesses reported more than one shooter, one or more on the ground.
Numerous witnesses ended up very dead not long after giving testimony. I won't start in on Oswald here, you probably believe that story too.
Got it. So you’re guessing.

So what’s more likely, your scenario or that Iran’s leadership is under massive pressure and pissed about the sanctions and decided to attack the Saudi oil infrastructure? Oil futures just went way up.

As long as we’re both guessing, that’s mine.

Old 09-15-2019, 09:52 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I didn’t prove your point because your response was bs. Just because you are pro environment doesn’t mean you are Democrat, leftist or liberal. Rakin’s post commented about opposition to offshore drilling or fracking by democrats, do you have to be a Democrat to oppose either?
I'm not sure why someone would be opposed to extracting resources. I mean, unless they hate the economy. You live in Houston even.

If you want to see another large recession, gut the US oil industry and make gas $6/gal.

That being said there is a really good case to be made for moving most transportation to domestically generated electricity. But for now we need cheap gas to get us to that point where the tech is commercially feasible.

I would like the R's to be more focused on all issues that the D's tend to be strong on (but go overboard with). One can be pro-environment but still develop natural resource extraction.

Old 09-15-2019, 11:06 PM

656 posts, read 1,375,121 times
To those who have the actual power to make changes, we shall stay perversely addicted to carbon fuels with no alternatives until about 4 minutes before the last millilitre is used up, then we will get to work on plan B

Old 09-16-2019, 04:29 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
As a young man any one who was around in 1973 will remember the population and economy of the US was 2/3rds what it is today. The US was getting at least half our Oil from the middle east and OPEC had us in a firm grip.

In retaliation to supporting Israel in the Arab/Israel war they hit the US with an Oil embargo and cut off the supply.

This threw the US economy into an almost immediate panic and recession. Gas prices doubled overnight. Rationing meant you could only get 10 gallons of gas on certain days designated by your license plate. On your day to get gas there would be line blocks long. People would set their alarm for 2am to go get gas and maybe beat the lines.

Why would we not have this today ? Because our production has increased and we no longer are dependent on the ME as we once were.

You can thank fracking, off shore drilling and a lot more that has increased production. Pipelines built.

Oil prices will go up this week probably 10%. But there will not be lines, rationalizing and a recession.
Also 1973 was one reason we do have a national oil reserve for day like today.

If you were there, you remember 1973 very well. IMO, Democrats would like to take us back to the dependency of 1973.

Old 09-16-2019, 05:25 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
........If you were there, you remember 1973 very well. IMO, Democrats would like to take us back to the dependency of 1973.
I was 12 at that time.....but not there.

I was in Dhahran.

Old 09-16-2019, 05:26 AM

5,762 posts, read 11,367,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
As a young man any one who was around in 1973 will remember the population and economy of the US was 2/3rds what it is today. The US was getting at least half our Oil from the middle east and OPEC had us in a firm grip.

In retaliation to supporting Israel in the Arab/Israel war they hit the US with an Oil embargo and cut off the supply.

This threw the US economy into an almost immediate panic and recession. Gas prices doubled overnight. Rationing meant you could only get 10 gallons of gas on certain days designated by your license plate. On your day to get gas there would be line blocks long. People would set their alarm for 2am to go get gas and maybe beat the lines.

Why would we not have this today ? Because our production has increased and we no longer are dependent on the ME as we once were.

You can thank fracking, off shore drilling and a lot more that has increased production. Pipelines built.

Oil prices will go up this week probably 10%. But there will not be lines, rationalizing and a recession.
Also 1973 was one reason we do have a national oil reserve for day like today.

If you were there, you remember 1973 very well. IMO, Democrats would like to take us back to the dependency of 1973.
As an 18 year old at the time, I remember that era quite well. I lived in San Francisco, and did not own a car at the time. I had my city transit pass, and the streetcars ran (and still run) on electric overhead trolleys, so I was lucky not to have to go through the whole gas line and gas rationing mess. But I remember the lines of cars at gas stations at all hours of the day or night, and remember how there were a lot of angry people when the gas ran out at a station!

What made it worse at that time, is most cars were gas hogs. The typical big sedan would gulp a gallon every 12 or 13 miles at best, and more in a city with lots of traffic and hills. At least today, technology improvements have given people the opportunity to buy a fuel efficient vehicle, if they choose to. True, the big pickups and big SUVS still gulp a lot of fuel, but not as much as the big cars that were on the street in 1973.

Old 09-16-2019, 07:02 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,555,088 times
I only felt mildly smug as I plugged in my American made car last night.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 09-16-2019 at 07:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics