U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 09:13 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
23,225 posts, read 40,820,513 times

Advertisements

Go with Fidelity, they also have good training options.

Consider a PT job to cover your expenses and invest 100% of your FT job.

Learn an investment plan. Stick with it.

Diversify

Find an older mentor. Listen to them, act as appropriate to your objectives.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 09-19-2019 at 09:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 09:41 AM

14,300 posts, read 6,893,602 times
Fidelity is better than Vanguard. Sometime I can’t even put on a trade at Vanguard, their software is so bad for IPad.

Old 09-19-2019, 11:05 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,867,553 times
Fidelity, Schwab, Vanguard are all about the same. The one thing I am picky about is the web site each has - how usable is it, can I easily get done what I want get done? For instance I have done lots of wire transfers in the past and want to do that easily myself. And lastly how good is the help from them with taxes or other legal issues which will come up. So I recommend you try to use each of the big three and see which web site you like the most.

Each of the big three has its own investment products. I have always liked Vanguard's funds so I tend to buy those. But I dislike their web site so I use Schwab as my custodian. You don't have to host your investments at the company you buy them from, although it might be a little cheaper to do so.

Old 09-19-2019, 11:24 AM

73,810 posts, read 73,657,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Fidelity, Schwab, Vanguard are all about the same. The one thing I am picky about is the web site each has - how usable is it, can I easily get done what I want get done? For instance I have done lots of wire transfers in the past and want to do that easily myself. And lastly how good is the help from them with taxes or other legal issues which will come up. So I recommend you try to use each of the big three and see which web site you like the most.

Each of the big three has its own investment products. I have always liked Vanguard's funds so I tend to buy those. But I dislike their web site so I use Schwab as my custodian. You don't have to host your investments at the company you buy them from, although it might be a little cheaper to do so.
I dislike Vanguard so I won’t do business with them ,but that’s me

Old 09-19-2019, 12:16 PM

7,356 posts, read 5,589,853 times
Yes, Fidelity is great. I've used them for 15 years. Not one problem.

Old 09-21-2019, 09:47 AM

2,737 posts, read 667,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Fidelity, Schwab, Vanguard are all about the same. The one thing I am picky about is the web site each has - how usable is it, can I easily get done what I want get done?
For those who care about no-fee investing apps, I would say Fidelity is, by far, the best. Vanguard’s app is ‘old-school’.

Old 09-21-2019, 12:10 PM

26,600 posts, read 33,656,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
For those who care about no-fee investing apps, I would say Fidelity is, by far, the best. Vanguard’s app is ‘old-school’.
I can't imagine being concerned about the app - if the company has a good website, and is otherwise what you are looking for. But then I would never do any trading using my phone, either.

Old 09-21-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I can't imagine being concerned about the app - if the company has a good website, and is otherwise what you are looking for. But then I would never do any trading using my phone, either.
I use my iPad all the time

Old 09-21-2019, 03:35 PM

2,737 posts, read 667,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I can't imagine being concerned about the app - if the company has a good website, and is otherwise what you are looking for.
All of the major banks and investment firms have apps; however, no one states you have to use it. That said, apps don’t need an internet connection whereas websites use web servers making them slower and (sometimes) less reliable. There are several other advantages as well i.e. instant personalized content tailored for you, fingerprint scanning, increased user friendliness and personalized security, time savings, interactive engagement allowing for immediate push notifications, etc. etc. Same with simple banking - who logs into a website anymore or drives to the bank to make a deposit?

That being said (per the thread to the OP) - Fidelity is a solid, reputable choice for beginners (even if you don’t use the app). Be sure to read and research as much as you can prior to making a final decision.

Old 09-21-2019, 05:16 PM

How about we brag about the 401keg plan .....in 2008 collecting empty bottles and cans returned more than most stocks did
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or