U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 08:25 PM

1,370 posts, read 600,528 times

Advertisements

is there something wrong with fidelity website today? my investment and IRA account positions show no change today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 09:11 PM

26,600 posts, read 33,656,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
is there something wrong with fidelity website today? my investment and IRA account positions show no change today.
Yeah same here. Weird.

Old 09-30-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
All of the major banks and investment firms have apps; however, no one states you have to use it. That said, apps donít need an internet connection whereas websites use web servers making them slower and (sometimes) less reliable. There are several other advantages as well i.e. instant personalized content tailored for you, fingerprint scanning, increased user friendliness and personalized security, time savings, interactive engagement allowing for immediate push notifications, etc. etc. Same with simple banking - who logs into a website anymore or drives to the bank to make a deposit?
Um...I do. Most folks I know, do the same.

Old 09-30-2019, 09:19 PM

11,000 posts, read 4,208,708 times
I love Fidelity.

Old 09-30-2019, 09:20 PM

11,000 posts, read 4,208,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Fidelity, Schwab, Vanguard are all about the same. The one thing I am picky about is the web site each has - how usable is it, can I easily get done what I want get done?
I have been with both Fidelity and Vanguard, and did not find Vanguard's site to be very usable at all.

Old 10-01-2019, 02:39 AM

73,810 posts, read 73,657,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I have been with both Fidelity and Vanguard, and did not find Vanguard's site to be very usable at all.
i did not find vanguard themselves useful at all lol

Old 10-01-2019, 05:35 AM

6,323 posts, read 3,092,316 times
Quote:
That said, apps donít need an internet connection whereas websites use web servers making them slower and (sometimes) less reliable.
I get the advantages of apps but I'm trying to think of the number of times in my life I needed to do something managing my investments where I didn't have an internet connection and it could be accomplished with an app that didn't have a connection either. So far I'm coming up with zero, so maybe this is a solution lacking a problem?

Old 10-01-2019, 05:53 AM

2,772 posts, read 6,349,256 times
OP, since you're just starting out I would also suggest using target date funds. Pick the one that is close to your retirement year. So let's say you are turning 65 in 2065, then pick that as your target date fund.

Then spend time and educate yourself. One book I like so far (haven't finished it yet) is the Simple path to wealth by J.L. Collins. He's also got a good blog series if you want to start off with that. Once you get more educated you may want to use something other than target date funds which is fine, but start simple at first. Once you get into the habit of paying yourself first, it's easy to keep going. Don't be frustrated if you can only do $20 a month. You're just starting out and you can increase it as your career/income progresses.

Fidelity is as good as any of the others. I use them but that's just because I had an old work retirement account with them and just opened up a ROTH and Brokerage to keep things simple.

I guess I'm still old school GenX/Millennial as I still log into the financial institution websites. I do deposit checks through apps though. I do use the Mint app as a portal to see everything as a whole. I do have the Fidelity app, but don't do any trading through it as I prefer using the website. I just like having the Widget so I can check what the indices are doing through the day.

Old 10-01-2019, 05:22 PM

2,737 posts, read 667,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I get the advantages of apps but I'm trying to think of the number of times in my life I needed to do something managing my investments where I didn't have an internet connection and it could be accomplished with an app that didn't have a connection either. So far I'm coming up with zero, so maybe this is a solution lacking a problem?
Some of the better known advantages, however, relate to increased security and fingerprint scanning, push notifications about your account (tailored specifically by and for you), user friendliness, personalized content and so on. In addition, not everyone lugs around their computer with them all day; itís simply more convenient.

Security is where it matters. Itís easier to protect mobile apps because there is more access to the os of the device itself. There is also the use of geolocation in fraud control or transaction monitoring; and on websites, itís much easier to redirect a user to a malicious URL.

Old 10-01-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Some of the better known advantages, however, relate to increased security and fingerprint scanning, push notifications about your account (tailored specifically by and for you), user friendliness, personalized content and so on. In addition, not everyone lugs around their computer with them all day; itís simply more convenient.

Security is where it matters. Itís easier to protect mobile apps because there is more access to the os of the device itself. There is also the use of geolocation in fraud control or transaction monitoring; and on websites, itís much easier to redirect a user to a malicious URL.
I would never do any trading on my phone. Ever. And since I rarely make changes to my portfolio there is certainly no need to lug around a computer. Everything I do in my accounts, I do in the evenings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or