U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 06:11 PM

2,737 posts, read 667,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I would never do any trading on my phone. Ever. And since I rarely make changes to my portfolio there is certainly no need to lug around a computer. Everything I do in my accounts, I do in the evenings.
The point, however, is not just related to convenience or the availability of personalized content and immediate notifications as to activity; itís the increased security, fingerprint scanning, etc. Each is tailored to your needs i.e. day trading, monitoring accounts on a daily basis (with push notifications) and so on - but again, no one forces you to use an app for anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 06:20 PM

26,600 posts, read 33,656,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
The point, however, is not just related to convenience or the availability of personalized content and immediate notifications as to activity; it’s the increased security, fingerprint scanning, etc. Each is tailored to your needs i.e. day trading, monitoring accounts on a daily basis (with push notifications) and so on - but again, no one forces you to use an app for anything.
Well, I do use an app for monitoring. All of my accounts are linked to one site so quite honesty I never even access my individual accounts on my phone to see balances. And I don’t do day trading of course.

I think you would probably be surprised how many people never access their financial data via their phone.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 10-01-2019 at 06:50 PM..

Old 10-01-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Well, I do use an app for monitoring. All of my accounts are linked to one site so quite honesty I never even access my individual accounts on my phone to see balances. And I don’t do day trading of course.

I think you would probably be surprised how many people never access their financial data via their phone.
I meant personalized notifications specific to activity or fluctuations (which are individually set) relative to your needs. Same with banking - account alerts, monitoring balances, transfers between accounts, deposits; about a third of the country uses mobile banking apps (and it is growing annually). Fidelity, per the OP’s general concerns, happens to have one of the top-rated apps.

Forbes wrote an article a few years back in re: signs that traditional websites are becoming obsolete. At the very least, websites must now be mobile-friendly (so that people are often on a mobile device anyway). As of 2017, in fact, there were more mobile users than desktop users across the board.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:52 PM

26,600 posts, read 33,656,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I meant personalized notifications specific to activity or fluctuations (which are individually set) relative to your needs. Same with banking - account alerts, monitoring balances, transfers between accounts, deposits; about a third of the country uses mobile banking apps (and it is growing annually). Fidelity, per the OP’s general concerns, happens to have one of the top-rated apps.

Forbes wrote an article a few years back in re: signs that traditional websites are becoming obsolete. At the very least, websites must now be mobile-friendly (so that people are often on a mobile device anyway). As of 2017, in fact, there were more mobile users than desktop users across the board.
Obviously there are more mobile users. Even the homeless folks on welfare seem to have cell phones. And I'm pretty sure they are not managing any investments on them.

None of this changes my view - I would not base my choice of an investment company upon their app.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:

None of this changes my view - I would not base my choice of an investment company upon their app.
I wouldn’t base it on that either (most are excellent from top investment firms, of course, with minor differences in user friendliness and organization) - but a previous poster brought up the importance of a website (which I quoted in my original comment re: apps).

Old 10-01-2019, 10:19 PM

8,229 posts, read 6,263,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Each of the big three has its own investment products. I have always liked Vanguard's funds so I tend to buy those. But I dislike their web site so I use Schwab as my custodian. You don't have to host your investments at the company you buy them from, although it might be a little cheaper to do so.

I have most of my investments with Vanguard, but I agree completely about the website. It's a good 15-20 years out of date. It is extremely archaic, unintuitive and generally clunky.

Old Yesterday, 04:28 PM

296 posts, read 109,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasy09 View Post
I just got a full time hourly job at a state university. It's low pay, but it's money coming in and I plan on using their resources and tuition remission to get my graduate degree as well.

I have two more days to pick my insurance from them.

They also have voluntary supplementary retirement plans that would be combined with my mandatory pension.

One of the voluntary plans is through Fidelity.

Is Fidelity good? Which plan should I choose. I have no real idea what I'm doing lol.

I also would like to invest and apparently Fidelity is good to do that with as well right? With my little paycheck 20 dollars a month is probably all I can do. I would like to invest a 100 a month if I can though.

What is a Roth?

This is the plan. Which one?
403(b) plan
457(b) plan

Good for you! I work at a college too. We have a 403b. Fund the supplemental part of the pension with whatever you can. Read your pension documents and understand them. Our pension also has IRA's you can fund. You get a number of bonuses for working at a college. Lot's of holidays off, you can probably use the gym for free, tuition waver for another degree. Lots of lectures and other free events too. And if you are poor, lot's of free food around at events! Good luck to you!

Old Today, 07:46 AM

5,833 posts, read 4,326,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I use my iPad all the time
With fidelity, what does all the time with your iPad mean? Every day trades, just checking. Or once a week?

Old Today, 08:55 AM

73,810 posts, read 73,657,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
With fidelity, what does all the time with your iPad mean? Every day trades, just checking. Or once a week?
i trade alot for fun so i use my i-pad on cellular wherever i am to trade
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or