Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 11:53 PM

30,873 posts, read 36,825,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
this active vs passive management debate seems so confusing
what is your take on it ?
thanks
Most active funds don't beat their index benchmarks. That said, the best actively managed funds have most of the assets. There is no perfect answer here. But it isn't quite as hard to beat index funds as index fund purists say. But it isn't necessarily easy, either. The easiest (but not guaranteed) way to beat an index fund is to make sure the expense ratio is low. I would say, if your money is in a regular taxable account (as opposed to a retirement account), index funds become more compelling, because they generate more taxable gains than index funds due to more frequent trading. If it's a retirement account (IRA, Roth IRA, 401k, 403b, 457, etc.), then actively managed funds have a somewhat better shot at beating their benchmarks, since taxes aren't a consideration. Examples of good, low cost, actively managed funds and their expense ratios:

Vanguard Dividend Growth .22% (Similar to Vanguard Dividend Appreciation Index but better returns).
Dodge & Cox Stock .52%
Mairs & Power Growth .64%
Primecap Odyssey Growth .65%
T. Rowe Price Blue Chip Growth. 70%
T. Rowe Price Dividend Growth .64%
T. Rowe Price Value .78%
Vanguard Equity Income .27%
T. Rowe Price Small Cap Value .85%
T. Rowe Price QM Small Cap Growth .80%
Fidelity Growth Company .85%
Vanguard Wellington (balanced fund--a mix of stocks and bonds) .25%
Dodge & Cox Balanced .53%
Fidelity Balanced .53%

So, as you can see, you probably shouldn't pay more than .75% for a large company stock fund. You'll want to pay a little less for a balanced fund. It's ok to go a little higher for small company stock funds, but keep it under 1%.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 09-21-2019 at 12:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
because they look at every fund in the universe ...morningstar found if you merely picked the 20% largest funds , the mega funds as they are called and left the smaller funds out of the equation and follow the money your odds of beating indexing jumps to 80% ...

i have 3 mega funds for decades , fidelity contra , fidelity growth company and fidelity blue chip growth and all 3 have better long term records than a total market fund.

it is no different then if i go to every neighborhood here in nyc my odds of getting mugged are a lot higher then if i stick to only the top areas .
Agreed. The other thing the mega funds have in common is below average expense ratios, which is one of the biggest predictors of beating the benchmark index.

Old 09-21-2019, 03:24 AM

106,114 posts, read 108,094,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Agreed. The other thing the mega funds have in common is below average expense ratios, which is one of the biggest predictors of beating the benchmark index.
The problem is there really are a lot of above average stock pickers that manage funds , but most of these are small funds and small funds have a hard time with internal expenses costing a lot more per share holder then mega funds . so their own internal costs weigh them down .

so a lot of this hoopla about index's beating actively managed funds has to do with the size of the fund being compared to and not stock picking ability . .

Old 09-21-2019, 10:44 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,743,179 times
Quote:
Hello !

Can anyone recommend the passively managed low cost index funds they choose to invest in ?

Thanks
VTI. It is dirt cheap. It is total market so maximum diversity. And easy to remember.

Old 09-21-2019, 10:51 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,743,179 times
Quote:
this active vs passive management debate seems so confusing
what is your take on it ?
thanks
You can argue for days about active vs. passive so I won't repeat the arguments. Instead I will highly encourage you to read about it:

"A Random Walk Down Wall Street" by Burton Malkiel
A classic book on how active funds work (or don't work).

Then I recommend checking out bogleheads (Google it) forum. It is free and dedicated to investing. Very smart, helpful people there.

Old 09-21-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
The problem is there really are a lot of above average stock pickers that manage funds , but most of these are small funds and small funds have a hard time with internal expenses costing a lot more per share holder then mega funds . so their own internal costs weigh them down .

so a lot of this hoopla about index's beating actively managed funds has to do with the size of the fund being compared to and not stock picking ability . .
Yes, I agree with that.

And ultimately, the more important factor is behavior, not one stock fund vs. another.

Behaviors that matter most:

1. Actually saving/investing the money. The more the better.
2. Not switching the money around from fund to fund once you have a half decent fund.

Old 09-21-2019, 02:09 PM

2,451 posts, read 1,511,267 times
Oddly enough, I have an actively managed target fund that is comprised of index funds: vthrx. You could hold them individually or pay for the autobalance and glide in the target fund. Some here will point out the fact that the autoglide from equities to bonds will happen no matter what is going on in the market. But so far I would have done the same thing as I approach retirement.

Old 09-21-2019, 02:13 PM

106,114 posts, read 108,094,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Oddly enough, I have an actively managed target fund that is comprised of index funds: vthrx. You could hold them individually or pay for the autobalance and glide in the target fund. Some here will point out the fact that the autoglide from equities to bonds will happen no matter what is going on in the market. But so far I would have done the same thing as I approach retirement.
The problem with them doing it is there is no standard whatsoever for a glide path ....these glide paths for the same target year can range from very aggressive to much to conservative depending on which fund family ....I would prefer my own glide path rather than they pick one for me

Old 09-21-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
That's fine. Target date funds from Vanguard aren't my favorite, but they're good enough.

Personally, I'd pick Vanguard Wellington if it's an option and it's inside a retirement account. It won't get more conservative with time, but its 65% stock 35% bond allocation is one you can hold for a lifetime and it has awesome long term returns as well as low costs. .25% for Investor shares and .17% for Admiral shares.

Old 09-22-2019, 01:50 PM

2,451 posts, read 1,511,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
That's fine. Target date funds from Vanguard aren't my favorite, but they're good enough.

Personally, I'd pick Vanguard Wellington if it's an option and it's inside a retirement account. It won't get more conservative with time, but its 65% stock 35% bond allocation is one you can hold for a lifetime and it has awesome long term returns as well as low costs. .25% for Investor shares and .17% for Admiral shares.
Yeah, I’ve been looking hard at that. I’m 70/30 right now. It’s likely I’ll go Wellington with half and let the rest stay on the glide path to bonds.

MJ, I picked the fund with a target date five years beyond my retirement date. It’s a simple way to adjust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics