U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-20-2019, 07:23 AM
 
Location: Illinois USA
369 posts, read 207,812 times
Reputation: 303

Advertisements

Hello !

Can anyone recommend the passively managed low cost index funds they choose to invest in ?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-20-2019, 07:57 AM
 
73,520 posts, read 73,313,926 times
Reputation: 51109
i use fidelity fzrox and vanguard voo. my actively managed funds have outperformed indexing over the long term .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2019, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Illinois USA
369 posts, read 207,812 times
Reputation: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i use fidelity fzrox and vanguard voo. my actively managed funds have outperformed indexing over the long term .
this active vs passive management debate seems so confusing
what is your take on it ?
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2019, 08:37 AM
 
73,520 posts, read 73,313,926 times
Reputation: 51109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
this active vs passive management debate seems so confusing
what is your take on it ?
thanks
90% of all my investment money is in fidelity managed funds and have been so for more than 30 years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2019, 11:06 AM
 
26,497 posts, read 33,534,149 times
Reputation: 33283
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
my actively managed funds have outperformed indexing over the long term .
Interesting. That flies in the face of everything I have read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2019, 12:29 PM
 
73,520 posts, read 73,313,926 times
Reputation: 51109
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Interesting. That flies in the face of everything I have read.
because they look at every fund in the universe ...morningstar found if you merely picked the 20% largest funds , the mega funds as they are called and left the smaller funds out of the equation and follow the money your odds of beating indexing jumps to 80% ...

i have 3 mega funds for decades , fidelity contra , fidelity growth company and fidelity blue chip growth and all 3 have better long term records than a total market fund.

it is no different then if i go to every neighborhood here in nyc my odds of getting mugged are a lot higher then if i stick to only the top areas .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2019, 02:23 PM
 
Location: Censorshipville...
2,762 posts, read 6,334,253 times
Reputation: 1659
FSKAX and FSSNX are in my taxable brokerage account. I recently started putting money into FZROX and so far so good. I had some extra money that I wanted to to "separate" from FSKAX and thought it would be interesting to see how their new zero ER fund would do, so I tried it in FZROX. It doesn't have much history yet, so we'll see how it does over time. I understand there is overlap with FSKAX.

I also have money FXAIX, , FTIHX and FXAIX within my ROTH . As you can see I like to Index...

In my TSP, the options also follow "index type funds" and they've done pretty well for me.

I currently do not have any individual stocks in any of my portfolios.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2019, 04:15 PM
 
Location: Guadalajara, MX
6,248 posts, read 3,052,010 times
Reputation: 12004
Any total market index fund by Vanguard, Fidelity, Schwab, etc. would be fine. They all have low expense ratio and outperform the overwhelming majority of actively managed funds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2019, 10:40 PM
 
3,780 posts, read 1,635,096 times
Reputation: 2576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
Hello !

Can anyone recommend the passively managed low cost index funds they choose to invest in ?

Thanks
I recently looked into FZROX because it was zero cost and "low cost" to by ( around 9 $ when I got it).

Also look at direct stocks now because the market is so volatile and if you hit the right surf you can ride it and get some quick cash instead of waiting on popular ones like FZROX or FXAIX. ( I happened to listen to Robert Kiyosaki by chance )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2019, 11:38 PM
 
26,553 posts, read 28,956,377 times
Reputation: 25577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
Hello !

Can anyone recommend the passively managed low cost index funds they choose to invest in ?

Thanks
I don't use this particular fund, but I like it a lot: Vanguard Dividend Appreciation Index (VDAIX/VDADX/VIG).

Pick the mutual fund or etf format. Doesn't make a big difference either way. Less volatile than an S&P 500 Index fund or total market index fund with similar returns. It will usually lag in good markets but hold up better in bad markets. This year, it's actually beating the S&P 500, despite very strong market returns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top