U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 03:53 PM

323 posts, read 169,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homelessinseattle View Post
I bolted transformers on to a wood pole. Therefore I was low skilled replaceable labor?
Installing transformers is way more difficult than bolting on a bumper. Dealing with high voltage lines, elevation, being outside, knowing what wire goes where and so on. I've taken off front bumpers numerous times to change headlights, super simple to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 03:56 PM

891 posts, read 266,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Nonsense. America continues to advance. Those with education and skills are doing better than ever. For most college level jobs unemployment has been around 3% for a great many years. Over 60 million Americans are living in households with incomes over 6 figures and that number has been growing rapidly.
Society and the workplace have been changing that is a fact. It is also a fact that those at the bottom without skills and without much education are sinking. A few million illegal aliens have not helped but the changes are bigger than that. Manufacturing is becoming more automated, more high tech. Retailing is changing and jobs vanishing at a rapid rate. Agriculture and ranching are almost entirely changed with highly efficient operations. Those looking for a return to the way things used to be are going to be disappointed.
More like FORTY million illegals have come across the southern border, didn't Reagan provide amnesty to about 20 million? So that means that the current 20 million number you hear bandied about is in addition to the folks who received amnesty maybe 35 years ago.

I agree that many, many households with education in the U.S. are doing great and are upwardly mobile (mine is one of them). So as to whether "we are in decline" depends on which end of the stick you're holding. However, it may have just been easier for you to write "Let them eat cake" when describing the many millions who are heading downhill, instead of up, due to the continuing loss of manufacturing jobs to the rest of the world. How'd that work for Marie Antionette, again?

Old 10-09-2019, 04:16 PM

6,778 posts, read 10,861,958 times
Quote:
That does not change reality. In the US and throughout the world there are plenty of people with low skills who are competing for low paid jobs. Many of those low paid jobs are becoming scarce. The oversupply is not going to go away. Meanwhile, companies are struggling to find employees with skills, knowledge, experience.
You make some good points - which had already been made loud and clear since the late 1980s to anyone paying attention - yet thanks for the reminder - but there are also several contradictions in the points you make.

In any case, as a matter of policy, the US economy can and should carve a meaningful space for low-skilled workers legally on US soil, regardless of "global" economy, because in the long-run it is more cost-effective than systematically throwing them to the wolves, so to speak.

And low-skilled can mean anything from sowing together shoes and socks to programming and maintaining robots.

Of course there are alternative policies and scenarios, but at the risk of all this "progress" leading headlong into a downward, even violent, spiral, which has happened several times over the past ten thousand years or so, as recently as about a century ago, too many people are already sick and tired of how things have turned out over the past twenty years or so, and an out-of-control downward spiral could happen again.

It's called smugness at work, over and over and over again.

Good Luck!

Old 10-09-2019, 05:05 PM

891 posts, read 266,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
You make some good points - which had already been made loud and clear since the late 1980s to anyone paying attention - yet thanks for the reminder - but there are also several contradictions in the points you make.

In any case, as a matter of policy, the US economy can and should carve a meaningful space for low-skilled workers legally on US soil, regardless of "global" economy, because in the long-run it is more cost-effective than systematically throwing them to the wolves, so to speak.

And low-skilled can mean anything from sowing together shoes and socks to programming and maintaining robots.

Of course there are alternative policies and scenarios, but at the risk of all this "progress" leading headlong into a downward, even violent, spiral, which has happened several times over the past ten thousand years or so, as recently as about a century ago, too many people are already sick and tired of how things have turned out over the past twenty years or so, and an out-of-control downward spiral could happen again.

Good Luck!
Thanks for a more eloquent presentation of what I wanted to say. If the upper 20% simply says, "Well, I've got mine" (which would be easy for me to do), the bottom 80% may not be so complacent about sorting through our scraps. As time passes, it becomes more and more obvious to me that we are all passengers on the same ship, and if it founders, all of us drown in the same ocean.

Old 10-09-2019, 05:22 PM

1,116 posts, read 670,195 times
Quote:
What happened to the American dream where low skilled workers could have great benefits, cradle to grave and be paid 6 figure incomes?

Does anyone see the economic importance of the GM strike?
GM made over 6 billion profit last year..don't feel bad for them..and I don't think any auto line worker ever made 6 figures..and unions started dying when Reagan fired the air traffic controllers..no go troll somewhere else..

Old 10-09-2019, 05:54 PM

2,337 posts, read 1,010,519 times
Quote:
Maybe I have the wrong impression and you can provide more information.

I have never worked on an assembly line but it seems that only minimal skills would be needed.
It doesnít take a college degree to torque a bolt, if thatís what youíre alluding to. On the other hand, it takes a very skilled person to torque that same bolt once every 30 seconds while also installing an alternator and a couple other components. Assembly line work is tedious and can be viewed as dead end work. Yet let just one bolt not get torqued to spec and see what happens down the line.

Old 10-09-2019, 05:59 PM

5,612 posts, read 3,013,325 times
Unions will get squished like a bug they will lucky if they come back with jobs and not have their pensions frozen like GE & Boeing just did.

Old 10-09-2019, 06:05 PM

2,337 posts, read 1,010,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post

Good Luck!
This marks the first time I have ever read that programming and maintaining robots could be considered low skill. Programming a six axis industrial robot is about as far removed from low skill as it gets. Try programming a robot with an installed vision system that must make the exact same movements across all six axis every 25 seconds, all within a tolerance of +/- 1.5mm.

After that, now you have to maintain that robot so that it can continue to do what you just programmed it to do for an entire model cycle(3-4 years) and therefore justify the initial cash outlay to install it. There is a reason why robotic technicians in the auto industry are some of the highest paid workers, and it sure isnít because they are low skilled.

Old 10-09-2019, 06:06 PM

6,608 posts, read 4,965,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
GM made over 6 billion profit last year..don't feel bad for them..and I don't think any auto line worker ever made 6 figures..and unions started dying when Reagan fired the air traffic controllers..no go troll somewhere else..
$6B is a very minimal profit considering the size of GM and the number of vehicles sold. It is also easy to forget about the years and years where profits did not exist or were minimal.

None of which has anything to do with the value of the employees and the supply and demand in the labor markets.

Old 10-09-2019, 06:38 PM

3,778 posts, read 2,327,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
More like FORTY million illegals have come across the southern border, didn't Reagan provide amnesty to about 20 million? So that means that the current 20 million number you hear bandied about is in addition to the folks who received amnesty maybe 35 years ago.
What a bunch of nonsense.

Let me guess, you are one of the whiners now who thinks illegals are taking away jobs that Americans would be willing to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics