Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 04:43 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,301,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
Oh my God, this is horrible.

Students might have to actually work their way through college. And how are they going to survive starting off life without being tens of thousands of dollars in debt?
that might work at a community college but when you are going to a top tier school that is pretty impossible. Unless you some how take over the south american drug trade or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 04:43 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,118,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
That's ok, their parents can always refinance the house....
You are not far off the mark there. My son is in HS and getting ready for college and I will tell you in talking to parents at school meetings that's what they plan to do..they never did the state tuition programs, no 529's, nothing. They planned HELOC's or refi's.

Might be tough though with home values going down.

Old 04-18-2008, 04:57 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,756,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Might be tough though with home values going down.
....and HELOCs getting cut, and CC companies trying to get high balance carriers off their books.

Old 04-18-2008, 04:59 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,756,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
that might work at a community college but when you are going to a top tier school that is pretty impossible. Unless you some how take over the south american drug trade or something.
Go work your own side of the dorm. This is my turf

Old 04-18-2008, 05:00 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,335,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
If you can get in, the top tier will pretty much make sure you can attend.

Besides, nothing says that you have to finish your bachelors in four years.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:11 PM

471 posts, read 1,472,210 times
Well, I am sure that -actual- student loan companies will continue.

If we stop giving student loans, then in 4-5 years, we will be screwed.
It'd take 20 years to screw us, medically.

Which.. I don't think we could afford any at this point.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:44 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,006,819 times
Good. Less easy money, maybe the colleges will have to start trimming the fat and tuition will stop rising at three times inflation.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:07 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,049,745 times
I don't blame them. College degrees are overrated, anyways. I went to school and got an AA degree and dropped out. Too many people were getting bachelors degrees and having nothing to show for it. Occasionally I go down by the university to a game store or Starbucks and I find some kids talking about something they studied in "text and lore" class. LOL. With worthless degrees like that, they will have no future- they are the dupes for wasting 4 years of their life on a degree that's going to get them a red cap and a red shirt.

There's way too much confusion in the marketplace anyways about what a college degree is. Maybe if the number of college degrees fell, employers would stop using them as litmus tests for potential employees.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:30 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,301,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
If you can get in, the top tier will pretty much make sure you can attend.

Besides, nothing says that you have to finish your bachelors in four years.
yeah, that is true, touche

Old 03-03-2009, 11:24 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,775,808 times
Fed launches consumer credit program - Economy in Turmoil- msnbc.com

Here's the thing. If you're not credit worthy now....how can you be credit worthy for this?

Under the program, the Fed will buy securities backed by different types of debt, including credit card, auto, student and small business loans. The credit crunch — the worst since the 1930s — has made it much harder for people to obtain such financing , and those that do can be socked with high rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics