U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:25 PM

6,741 posts, read 5,051,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
You want to stabilize the supply side. Food stamps doesn't help if all the farmers go bust and there's no one left to grow the food.
Inefficient farming operations will go out of business faster than now if the Federal government stops subsides but that does not mean there will be "no one left to grow the food". More efficient, more automated, less labor intensive farming will easily pick up the slack. Most markets work on supply and demand. I fail to understand why that would not work for farming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Subsistence farming? You want to snuff out a small portion of the Amish?
I don't want to "snuff out" anyone. I just don't want to continue to pay to support inefficient farming. Is there some reason I should be especially concerned about the Amish?

Old Yesterday, 11:20 PM

4,386 posts, read 2,010,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Inefficient farming operations will go out of business faster than now if the Federal government stops subsides but that does not mean there will be "no one left to grow the food". More efficient, more automated, less labor intensive farming will easily pick up the slack. Most markets work on supply and demand. I fail to understand why that would not work for farming.
We are well aware that you fail to understand.

Old Yesterday, 11:21 PM

4,386 posts, read 2,010,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I don't want to "snuff out" anyone. I just don't want to continue to pay to support inefficient farming. Is there some reason I should be especially concerned about the Amish?
Learn what subsistence farming is.

And not the Amish, just a small portion of Amish.

Old Today, 08:46 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,660,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
We are well aware that you fail to understand.
Fail to understand what???

Old Today, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Fail to understand what???
I think it is not a failure to understand. I just want to cut off the handouts the rest of us pay for. We can start by getting rid of alcohol in gasoline which does nothing for the environment, costs more and rots out the fuel systems on lawn movers and small motors.

They we can dump the Department of Agriculture. The DA is misunderstood. The grading of meat is not a safety issue but helps with sales. The DA does absolutely nothing to protect the consumer. It is and always has been a publicly paid lobby for the farming industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or