Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 02:54 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,367,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Its mostly machines, or poor illegals doing the hard work though, not the owners.

But the subsidies been around for a long time. They are quite substantial too. Or are you saying none of the subsidies have ever been remitted?

True, but this industry is being subsidized by what is seemingly a lot of money. Plus, they are growing food. If that is not stable enough industry or an enough of an in-demand product, than what else is? You think farms be last to go in any economy since what is the point of an economy other than to eventually buy food.
To the first quote; more proof of what I said previously.

Also funny because the farm owners worked longer and harder hours than I did as their laborer and make no mistake they were always right next to me covered in cow ****, sweat and sometimes blood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2019, 04:55 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,219,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post

Also funny because the farm owners worked longer and harder hours than I did as their laborer and make no mistake they were always right next to me covered in cow ****, sweat and sometimes blood.
Thanks for the sanity in a thread with a lot of misinformation. I come from a big family of farmers and have spent many days plowing, planting, harvesting and fixing everything from fences to peanut pickers. For the record, no amount of mechanization available to small farms today makes it any less of a demanding and physical job.

Old 11-12-2019, 06:24 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,903,941 times
Quote:
Well all the farmers I know could work most anyone under the table. Most farmers I know don't have "laborers", they are large soy bean, corn, and cotton farmers. They co-op the work with their neighbors.
Our neighbor has cattle and chickens, he is out 18/7, they have three kids. Not sure when he had time!

Old 11-12-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Thanks for the sanity in a thread with a lot of misinformation. I come from a big family of farmers and have spent many days plowing, planting, harvesting and fixing everything from fences to peanut pickers. For the record, no amount of mechanization available to small farms today makes it any less of a demanding and physical job.
They hate rural America because they blame them/us for Trump.

Philosophy bro has decided that rural Americans ‘are bad people who have made bad life decisions’

Their hate and ignorance know no end.

Old 11-12-2019, 11:48 AM

6,752 posts, read 5,054,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
I live in farm country. Most of the "corporate farms" that the left and right coasters like to complain about are owned by extended families that incorporated to benefit from incorporation.

Yes, that describes my sister's family. Their farming operation (mostly corn, in the Midwest) is entirely owned by a few people, and believe me it is plenty "mechanized". Some of the machines they own today are largely self-operating, and in the not-so-distant future they'll be able to send them out to do jobs without any operator on board.

Old 11-12-2019, 12:32 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Its mostly machines, or poor illegals doing the hard work though, not the owners.
Dear God.

Old 11-12-2019, 12:33 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Well all the farmers I know could work most anyone under the table. Most farmers I know don't have "laborers", they are large soy bean, corn, and cotton farmers. They co-op the work with their neighbors.
Our neighbor has cattle and chickens, he is out 18/7, they have three kids. Not sure when he had time!
Exactly. OP is pretty clueless.

Old 11-12-2019, 12:38 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
The trade war has not been kind to farmers. This is on Trump.

An article I read today was seriously one of the saddest stories of a farming family that I've seen.

Suicides, debt, fatherless kids--just deeply sad. And apparently throwing billions of dollars at them is not saving them from psychological depression and poverty.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...g/?arc404=true

Old 11-12-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
The trade war has not been kind to farmers. This is on Trump.

An article I read today was seriously one of the saddest stories of a farming family that I've seen.

Suicides, debt, fatherless kids--just deeply sad. And apparently throwing billions of dollars at them is not saving them from psychological depression and poverty.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...g/?arc404=true
From your own link

"Researchers studying more recent data have not yet determined if farmer suicides are increasing..."

You are happy to see rural people kill themselves and happy to post about it because you try to twist it into your own agenda which is all about your hatred for Trump. You are a sick person.

Farm suicides have always existed. Suddenly you care. Yeah right.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:54 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Exactly. OP is pretty clueless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Quote:

Yeh, sure, you are all a bunch of mennonites/amish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics