Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2019, 02:03 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,303,084 times

Advertisements

Someone once tolf me taxi driver's income can do that. I don't know how true that is.

Do you have any?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2019, 03:11 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,429,920 times
Somebody once told me....

The world was gonna roll me. I ain’t the sharpest tool in the shed.

Somebody once asked could I spare a little change for gas.

I said yep what a concept I could use a little fuel myself and we could all use a little change

Old 11-11-2019, 06:37 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,568 posts, read 81,147,605 times
No, taxi driver income has far too many variables, such as number of Uber/Lyft drivers in that area, and number of people without cars. In our city of 65,000 people and median family income $183,000 there are no cabs at all. If you needed one it would have to come from another city nearby. Other than a few local business owners, I really doubt that many of our residents make that money here in Sammamish, most of us are working in Seattle or Redmond. I suppose here the occupation that gives the indication of median incomewould be a software developer at Microsoft or Amazon.

Old 11-11-2019, 07:11 AM

9,372 posts, read 6,973,951 times
I think you should look at 3 data points... How much are the fast food places paying, what is the median teacher salary, and what is the mayor making. From there you can target the spread between poverty, low middle class, and upper middle class.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:15 AM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,184 times
If you want the median or average income, just look it up. Google can give you that info in a second. Then you can compare jobs to the median or average and see where it stands. You can also look up the COL. Keep in mind, experience often means higher wages if you compare the average RN salary in an area you'll only make that with years of experience, noobs start out lower.

Wages vary a lot depending on area. Especially taxi drivers who would do very well in a city like NYC and maybe not as well in other areas. I wouldn't expect them to always follow the median. Regardless, if you want the median or average, just look that up specifically. No reason for guessing games.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:28 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
Someone once tolf me taxi driver's income can do that. I don't know how true that is.

Do you have any?
Have any what? Nonsense for gullible people like yourself?

There are about 8 Million people in New York City of which several Million use a tax on a daily or weekly basis.

In Hamilton County, Ohio, there are 1 Million people of which 800,000 will never set foot in a taxi in their entire life.

If you want data on median income, why don't you avail yourself of the US Commerce Department's Census Bureau, since your tax dollars pay for that?

Not only will the Census Bureau tell you the median income for any city, they'll break it down by zip code or census tract.

The median income in a zip code or census tract may be higher or lower than the median income of other zip codes or census tracts in the same city.

Old 11-11-2019, 02:27 PM

Suppose I travel to Vilnius, where commerce dept does not compile data and I am not proficient with the local language. I hope to have a quick and easy way to gauge how much money the local people makes. Just roughly - is it 10 USD a day, or 100, or 1000. That's the background.

Old 11-16-2019, 10:02 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Have any what? Nonsense for gullible people like yourself?

There are about 8 Million people in New York City of which several Million use a tax on a daily or weekly basis.

In Hamilton County, Ohio, there are 1 Million people of which 800,000 will never set foot in a taxi in their entire life.

If you want data on median income, why don't you avail yourself of the US Commerce Department's Census Bureau, since your tax dollars pay for that?

Not only will the Census Bureau tell you the median income for any city, they'll break it down by zip code or census tract.

The median income in a zip code or census tract may be higher or lower than the median income of other zip codes or census tracts in the same city.
I dont know about millions in NYC using taxis. There is competition from buses and subways. Plus taxi medallions are expensive. That also affects price. There are literally cabbies who have committed suicide over depression they cannot make enough money from taxis to pay back medallions loans, and support themselves or a family.

Old 11-16-2019, 11:16 PM

How about a city bus driver? Will that be a good representative of "rough average salary" of a city?

Old 11-17-2019, 03:28 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
I think you should look at 3 data points... How much are the fast food places paying, what is the median teacher salary, and what is the mayor making. From there you can target the spread between poverty, low middle class, and upper middle class.
Comparing the mayor of a town of 300 to the mayor of New York City is apples to oranges (or perhaps grapes to watermelons!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics