Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2019, 04:26 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,904,601 times

Advertisements

To only be 32 years old and own multiple homes in the DC area is telling me Jenny has had a lot of help in her life or is very savvy (doesn't sound like it).

I think the article is of a more of 'hey look at me, I have all this going for me and I'm just not happy' story than anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2019, 06:14 AM

17,302 posts, read 22,039,209 times
I have a very rich uncle (made 100mm in cell phones before age 40)........His one liner is: It's not how much you make, but rather how much you save!

Years back, I realized I was a millionaire. But I still went to work the same way I did before I hit that milestone....weird. There was no "oooh ahhh" pour the champagne and bring on the caviar moment. No one in my immediate family has hit that milestone but I have a sister/brother in law that will surely hit it and surpass it.

Now I better understand why that rich uncle kept working despite the wealth. He had a few nice houses (14K sq ft was his largest) but never went crazy with yachts/planes/car collections.......he doesn't want hassle and feels he earned his money slowly and wants to spend it even slower!

Old 11-28-2019, 06:58 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
That may be true for some careers or most, but there are tons of job openings in my career field in major metros. I could have moved jobs easily when I was younger within my metro. I make decisions based on my situation not what could happen. Now that I’ve progressed and specialized, I’d likely always get relocation bonuses and they would pay for my move. My company relocated me. And both job offers that I’ve received since being here have offered full relocation as well.
I too would get a relocation package if I moved. I’ve received one before and my wife has too but for most that’s not normal. Additionally if I were to sell my house for any reason in Texas the standard would be 6% real estate commissions plus som additional fees that would push the total to close somewhere to the 8-9% range and for me that would eat eliminate roughly that 50k in equity you said you had.

Old 11-28-2019, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I have a very rich uncle (made 100mm in cell phones before age 40)........His one liner is: It's not how much you make, but rather how much you save!

Years back, I realized I was a millionaire. But I still went to work the same way I did before I hit that milestone....weird. There was no "oooh ahhh" pour the champagne and bring on the caviar moment. No one in my immediate family has hit that milestone but I have a sister/brother in law that will surely hit it and surpass it.

Now I better understand why that rich uncle kept working despite the wealth. He had a few nice houses (14K sq ft was his largest) but never went crazy with yachts/planes/car collections.......he doesn't want hassle and feels he earned his money slowly and wants to spend it even slower!
How much you make certainly is a huge factor. If make 7/hr and save 100% it’s going to take a long time before I’m wealthy. Making 25.00/hr and saving 20% is a better equation

Old 11-28-2019, 07:24 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
Awww. Cry me a river.

Spoiled babies.

I don't make 6 figures and I have plenty at the end of the day.

It's the price you pay for living beyond your means.

LIFE LESSON

Old 11-28-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Awww. Cry me a river.

Spoiled babies.

LIFE LESSON

Did you read the article? I’m not seeing anyone asking for sympathy or being spoiled. The lady referenced in the OP has a budget and specifically allocates funds into a fun account in addition to having more than one house

Old 11-28-2019, 08:10 AM

5,958 posts, read 2,877,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Awww. Cry me a river.

Spoiled babies.

LIFE LESSON
Not one person in 6 plus pages has thought of having a family with KIDS. Thats being an adult ,not a 1,000,000 house. Yah I knew you wouldnt like that statment.There used to be a statement " its all about me ,money grubber"

Old 11-28-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Not one person in 6 plus pages has thought of having a family with KIDS. Thats being an adult ,not a 1,000,000 house. Yah I knew you wouldnt like that statment.There used to be a statement " its all about me ,money grubber"
I’m pretty sure you can be an adult with having kids

Old 11-28-2019, 09:03 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
DIY is over rated. It goes against the basics of Specialization of labor and opportunity cost.

You make enough money at what you’re good at to buy your time back. You need time off to recharge and be good at what you do. I put up my own Xmas lights, but I wouldn’t wash my car or do an oil change. We occasionally pay to have our grocery shopping done. It makes it easier to relax on Sunday and do meal prep for the week. As soon as I’m promoted again, I’m paying for home cleaning. I’d rather have my Saturday.

If I wanted extra money, I’d take clients on the side and do what I do. I wouldn’t sit around trying to save by learning how to fix my central air unit or car. Let the professionals do what they do. I’ll focus on making money doing what I do well, and pay for them to do it. The opportunity cost is too high trying to learn 20 different professions.
DIY is certainly NOT overrated - not at all. Obviously, it is an opportunity cost. That goes without saying. I personally would not pay anyone to put up my Christmas lights. I enjoy the process - gets me all "Chistmassy". I rebuilt one of my wood windows last year, that was rotting away. I could have paid someone to fix or replace it, but I thoroughly enjoyed the process and the things I learned. I WOULD like to change my own oil - I don't like paying someone to do something that I know is so simple and takes very little time - so that is on my list of things to learn. I much prefer to wash my own car - I do a better job, and what I would have to pay a detailer to do the same job - it's not worth it to me.

However, I do pay a lawn company to do the weed/feed/seed work. I did it for years myself. But the time it took, and the times I had to take off work to get things done (because you have to work around the weather of course) became such a huge burden that I finally decided it was worth the cost for me to not ever have to worry about it again. I never regret writing those checks. But I cut my own grass and maintain my landscaping. Fix my own fence. I love working in the yard - it's therapeutic.

You do what you enjoy doing, obviously.

Old 11-28-2019, 09:04 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Did you read the article? I’m not seeing anyone asking for sympathy or being spoiled. The lady referenced in the OP has a budget and specifically allocates funds into a fun account in addition to having more than one house
Yes. Feeling strapped and having more than one house MAY be somehow related.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics