Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2019, 09:06 AM

37,589 posts, read 45,950,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Did you read the article? I’m not seeing anyone asking for sympathy or being spoiled. The lady referenced in the OP has a budget and specifically allocates funds into a fun account in addition to having more than one house

From the article:

I feel like I’m living paycheck to paycheck, and have been for forever...

I don’t live in a fancy high-rise, I don’t take vacations, I don’t shop at Bloomingdales — I shop at freaking Forever21. But somehow, here I am.

That sounds like whining to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2019, 09:07 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Not one person in 6 plus pages has thought of having a family with KIDS. Thats being an adult ,not a 1,000,000 house. Yah I knew you wouldnt like that statment.There used to be a statement " its all about me ,money grubber"
I raised a couple kids making much less than the less- than- six- figures I make now. I'm assuming you're not directing that at me.

Kids need to learn how to live within their means.

Old 11-28-2019, 09:15 AM

20,094 posts, read 8,998,912 times
I'll take on DIY projects if I already have the tools, but I'm not buying tools I'll only use once.

Old 11-28-2019, 09:31 AM
KCZ

4,662 posts, read 3,658,309 times
Quote:
Jenny Castillo makes over six figures, owns multiple homes in DC and vacationed in three countries already this year. But at the end of each month, she’s still counting pennies.

“Adulting is very expensive,” Castillo, 32, tells The Post. “Yeah, on paper I make good money, but when you factor in debt, cost of living and lifestyle, it’s not.”

"Adulting"???

I had to look this up. The Urban Dictionary says adulting is...

Adulting (v): to carry out one or more of the duties and responsibilities expected of fully developed individuals (paying off that credit card debt, settling beef without blasting social media, etc). Exclusively used by those who adult less than 50% of the time.

Being a responsible adult. Used by immature 20-somethings who are proud of themselves for paying a bill. Example: So tired from adulting! I went to my 8-5 job today! Look at me!

A fake word used by idiots (millennials mainly), in an attempt to turn the adjective adult into a verb in a feeble attempt to describe if a person is actually an adult or behaves in an adult manner and thus doing the things any responsible adult with an average or above IQ can handle. You cannot "adult" something. It is as bad or worse as the overuse of learnings in the corporate world.

Sheesh.

Old 11-28-2019, 09:43 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
From the article:

I feel like I’m living paycheck to paycheck, and have been for forever...

I don’t live in a fancy high-rise, I don’t take vacations, I don’t shop at Bloomingdales — I shop at freaking Forever21. But somehow, here I am.

That sounds like whining to me.
Maybe that’s part of the problem, the article actually covers two people. One an associate attorney who travels and owns multiple houses and another that wished to remain anonymous and is a graphic designer.

Old 11-28-2019, 09:45 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
"Adulting"???

I had to look this up. The Urban Dictionary says adulting is...

Adulting (v): to carry out one or more of the duties and responsibilities expected of fully developed individuals (paying off that credit card debt, settling beef without blasting social media, etc). Exclusively used by those who adult less than 50% of the time.

Being a responsible adult. Used by immature 20-somethings who are proud of themselves for paying a bill. Example: So tired from adulting! I went to my 8-5 job today! Look at me!

A fake word used by idiots (millennials mainly), in an attempt to turn the adjective adult into a verb in a feeble attempt to describe if a person is actually an adult or behaves in an adult manner and thus doing the things any responsible adult with an average or above IQ can handle. You cannot "adult" something. It is as bad or worse as the overuse of learnings in the corporate world.

Sheesh.
No other generation in history made up slang terms for silly crap. What some people get bothered by is comical. Okay boomer....

Old 11-28-2019, 09:47 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
DIY is over rated. It goes against the basics of Specialization of labor and opportunity cost.

You make enough money at what you’re good at to buy your time back. You need time off to recharge and be good at what you do. I put up my own Xmas lights, but I wouldn’t wash my car or do an oil change. We occasionally pay to have our grocery shopping done. It makes it easier to relax on Sunday and do meal prep for the week. As soon as I’m promoted again, I’m paying for home cleaning. I’d rather have my Saturday.

If I wanted extra money, I’d take clients on the side and do what I do. I wouldn’t sit around trying to save by learning how to fix my central air unit or car. Let the professionals do what they do. I’ll focus on making money doing what I do well, and pay for them to do it. The opportunity cost is too high trying to learn 20 different professions.
My husband earned a lot more than you earn now, he’s retired now. He’s fixing everything in my house and all our cars. He used to love to mow the lawn too, we don’t have lawn now. Did our own landscaping on 3 brand new homes. He rarely worked over 40 hours a week even, he’s European after all. it’s fun for him to be able to rely on himself. Fixing cars are nothing to him, he was a rally car driver in England, he knew the car inside out. Yesterday he just finished polish our daughters head lights. Maybe it’s not about the specialization theory you are touting about. Some people do enjoy DIY, I know I do.

Old 11-28-2019, 09:59 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,650,168 times
I much rather tinker with stuff that try to earn ever bigger bucks doing the capitalist schuffle. Tinkering and re-engineering stuff lot more entertaining.

But yea, I freely tell people if everybody spent as freely as I do, then The Great Depression would look like boom times.

By way most profits is from financing anymore. If people suddenly paid off their debt and paid only paid cash for what they bought, the economy would tank fast and furious no matter what they bought.

Unfortunately a debt based economy is doomed from get go. Cause to flourish it requires ever more people going ever more deeply into debt. Eventually you simply dont have enough humans alive, nor enough credit to make it work. Thats when you get the big correction....

Old 11-28-2019, 10:01 AM

2,385 posts, read 2,338,616 times
People just suck with money or are extremely spoiled, especially millennials.

You own multiple homes in arguably the most expensive city in the nation, while living in NYC, vacation 3 times a year overseas, and apparently you have debt from student loans or whatever. And you expect me to feel sorry for you cuz you shop at Forever21? You be trippin'.

If I was making 100K in NYC, my first priority would be getting rid of my student loan debt. Then make sure I don't spend over 2K/month for a studio or 1BR apt. My once-a year vacation would be Florida.

Last edited by Marv95; 11-28-2019 at 10:10 AM..

Old 11-28-2019, 10:19 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,638,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
I'll take on DIY projects if I already have the tools, but I'm not buying tools I'll only use once.
I look at a DIY project as an opportunity to buy more tools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics