Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 08:28 AM

3,782 posts, read 5,325,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I think we hit 80,000 now
In New York City alone? Or New York state? BTW, what county is New York City in?

I know that the virus will eventually come around into my community, but by then our hospitals will be ready. So far, the bulk of the deaths have been people in their 90s and 80s, and in nursing homes.

Just last March (2019), my mother passed away in one of those nursing homes. In her wing of the facility, five people passed away in an 8 day period; and that was before coronavirus.

One of the nurses that I spoke with said that March and April are typically high-death months in nursing homes for some reason. Now, deaths that were likely to occur anyway are being chalked up to the coronavirus. I feel sorry for the situation in New York City, but it is not the experience of the country in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2020, 08:35 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
In New York City alone? Or New York state? BTW, what county is New York City in?

I know that the virus will eventually come around into my community, but by then our hospitals will be ready. So far, the bulk of the deaths have been people in their 90s and 80s, and in nursing homes.

Just last March (2019), my mother passed away in one of those nursing homes. In her wing of the facility, five people passed away in an 8 day period; and that was before coronavirus.

One of the nurses that I spoke with said that March and April are typically high-death months in nursing homes for some reason. Now, deaths that were likely to occur anyway are being chalked up to the coronavirus. I feel sorry for the situation in New York City, but it is not the experience of the country in general.
i am in queens county ... we got hit hard ...

new york state has 180,458 cases and 8627 in deaths

new york city has 98,308 cases including at least 6,202 deaths . nyc consists of manhattan , queens , brooklyn , the bronx and staten island

queens county has about 1/3 of the cases in nyc

Old 04-12-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Be patient. It will get there. Word from an ICU nurse is that St. Louis has an outbreak. Scale NYC down to every city and town in the country, then stage them weeks or even months apart. That's what America will look like for the rest of the year.

NYC makes headlines, but it has only a small fraction of the US population. Take the number of cases in NYC, multiply by 40, and divide that by month after month. NYC is already recording less than half the deaths per day.
I agree that it will reach us flyovers, but I disagree with the multiply by 40 idea. The virus hit NYC much earlier which caught the medical and hospital systems unaware. NYC has always been struggling to keep up with the rate of infections.

Here in Flyoverville, our hospitals have already created more bed space, secured more supplies, offered more training. People are social distancing and working from home. Restaurants are shut except for take out. Schools have closed and teachers are offering lessons online. And yet, we still have only 3 cases in the county. The run on TP is finally over and it is available in stores again.

Old 04-12-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
i am in queens county ... we got hit hard ...

new york state has 180,458 cases and 8627 in deaths

new york city has 98,308 cases including at least 6,202 deaths . nyc consists of manhattan , queens , brooklyn , the bronx and staten island

queens county has about 1/3 of the cases in nyc
It is too bad that it hit NYC so quickly, before preparations could be made.

Old 04-12-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
It is too bad that it hit NYC so quickly, before preparations could be made.
we are devastated here ... most of us have lost family and friends to it

Old 04-12-2020, 11:13 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,467,936 times
Quote:
we are devastated here ... most of us have lost family and friends to it
So sad to hear. I was born in Brooklyn, but no longer have relatives back there.

Old 04-12-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
So sad to hear. I was born in Brooklyn, but no longer have relatives back there.
Thanks .... all this is happening despite the tight shutdown here ....it would have been totally out of control if we were not pretty much in isolation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics