Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 02:39 PM

327 posts, read 456,018 times

Advertisements

Yes, likely a 2nd round of stimulus, but not until the summer. No one has gotten the first round of stimulus checks yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 02:43 PM

5,135 posts, read 3,747,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
I think we see major deflationary pressures resurface later in 2020 into 2021. Cash will be king during this period. Huge deflationary bust coming. But moonshot in stocks first. I posted about my "moonshot" stock call in the investing forum when the DOW was at 19K. Manic up, then manic down.

Central banks will use the coming crisis to usher in digital currencies. Physical dollars scare the hell out of the Fed because people are hoarding them across the world = more deflationary pressures. They want complete control over an all-digital currency. They have been warming the sheeple up to the idea for a long time now, and are even using the virus as an excuse to go all-digital. Convenient isn't it?

I think stocks go down from here or slightly higher then go up after some backing and filling but I agree with everything else.

Old 04-09-2020, 04:18 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Democrats just handed every breathing adult with a SSN a check for $1200 or whatever, this includes those on SS, SSDI, veterans, homeless, recently incarcerated (or released).

Nitpicking here, but you can't say Democrats handed it.. The $1200 was part of McConnell's original plan. Others were even higher than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
At the end of George Bush's term he sent $600 stimulus checks to social security recipients. We spent our $1,200 on an economic stimulus wood splitter.

If you're referring to W.. It was at the start of his first term. If I'm not mistaken, that money hit just before 9/11? But that was something big he ran on, that we had a surplus and since it was the taxpayers money, it should be refunded to us. And technically, that wasn't stimulus money.. That was a rebate.

Again, as above, not to be argumentative.. Just making sure the facts are right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandMatt View Post
Yes, likely a 2nd round of stimulus, but not until the summer. No one has gotten the first round of stimulus checks yet.

I agree. It wouldn't surprise me if a second round is authorized before the first round is done, tho. If we're still in bad shape come Memorial Day.. They'll have to do it, and do it quickly.

Old 04-09-2020, 04:40 PM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Thoughts? My expectations are low..

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ge/2961683001/
I hope not.

Old 04-09-2020, 05:03 PM

14,454 posts, read 20,630,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Thoughts? My expectations are low..

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ge/2961683001/
I read an article that said some low income persons find that the $1200 might last them only 3 months. Even those making over $75,000 said it was not enough. They must be living high on the hog to need more. So, that would be some time in July and maybe a package two to be upon Congress in late May or June.

Some wanted $2000 per person as long as the epidemic affected so many people, lack of testing, numbers out of control: Bernie Sanders wanted $2000 a month until some degree of recovery.

You know Trump will want to give more. It gets him votes in November.
----------------
For the CARES 2 bill, Democrats are angling for more direct-to-consumer provisions, including Pelosi’s call for another round of direct payments and extended unemployment benefits within a $1 trillion new bill.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sarahha.../#1ed018a57952

Old 04-09-2020, 07:11 PM

31,892 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I read an article that said some low income persons find that the $1200 might last them only 3 months. Even those making over $75,000 said it was not enough. They must be living high on the hog to need more. So, that would be some time in July and maybe a package two to be upon Congress in late May or June.

Some wanted $2000 per person as long as the epidemic affected so many people, lack of testing, numbers out of control: Bernie Sanders wanted $2000 a month until some degree of recovery.

You know Trump will want to give more. It gets him votes in November.
----------------
For the CARES 2 bill, Democrats are angling for more direct-to-consumer provisions, including Pelosi’s call for another round of direct payments and extended unemployment benefits within a $1 trillion new bill.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sarahha.../#1ed018a57952
Don't understand who these people are who are moaning about $1200 not being sufficient.

Unemployed are getting $600 more per week on top of their regular benefits. That alone is a healthy portion of money per month, likely more than many were earning (thanks to that bonus) in first place. On top of that they are getting $1200 tax free stimulus money.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/07/polit...mic/index.html

Sounds to me those clamoring for more free money are the ones who were broke/busted before this pandemic and will be so afterwards without a steady and healthy infusion of other people's money.

Old 04-09-2020, 08:45 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,724,350 times
Quote:
Don't understand who these people are who are moaning about $1200 not being sufficient.

Unemployed are getting $600 more per week on top of their regular benefits. That alone is a healthy portion of money per month, likely more than many were earning (thanks to that bonus) in first place. On top of that they are getting $1200 tax free stimulus money.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/07/polit...mic/index.html

Sounds to me those clamoring for more free money are the ones who were broke/busted before this pandemic and will be so afterwards without a steady and healthy infusion of other people's money.
Yes, you are correct. In previous recessions, the Fed Govt merely extended the length of time to collect the UE comp. There was none of this asking $600/wk in addition to UE.
The previous stem checks were cheap in comparison to the $1.200 that some are receiving now. It's not even right to say that most this group receives the entire $1,200 since they must be $75k or under to get that. Every group of $5 bands beyond that reduces the $1,200 amount up to $99k.. The unlucky ones that make over $100k receive NOTHING.

It reminds me of what Barbara Bush said about the Katrina refugees that were sheltering at the Astrodome. She commented that the NOLA refugees were glad to be there since the conditions there were better than what they were used to back in NOLA.

Nitpicking here, but you can't say Democrats handed it.. The $1200 was part of McConnell's original plan. Others were even higher than that.

The original Senate bill called for $1,000 per qualifying person. The HR bill after that read "$1,500/qualifying person + $1,500 for every brat after that up to 3 per family. The HR bill was more generous than the Senate's, which makes me wonder why many of the welfare recipients tag the Dems (spec Nancy Pelosi) as not wanting to help them and give Trump the credit for the check.

If they continue to do this crap, I'm going to lollygag for the rest of the year so that I can qualify to get these tax free benefits when I file the 2020 taxes. There is no sense in busting my butt to earn more income.

Old 04-09-2020, 10:06 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I hope not, since I am paying for it
You pay one way or another. Either you pay people to keep their heads above water because the employment scheme, jobs/wages, are inadequate, or you pay for law enforcement, incarceration, and personal protection because you have created a de facto criminal class that can't survive without jobs.

Old 04-10-2020, 06:43 AM

14,454 posts, read 20,630,704 times
Quote:
Here is the story I was quoting. There's another one saying for many the $1200 might last them 3 months as far as help.

"Four in 10 Americans making $80,000 or more a year say their stimulus checks won’t sustain their financial well-being for a full month."

Well excuse me and millions of others, they must be living high on the hog if they even need the $1200 to begin with and we are so sorry that because their income is above $75,000 you won't get the full $1200.
Some people live on under $20,000 a year and those on $80,000 can not?

https://www.bankrate.com/surveys/cor...imulus-checks/

Old 04-10-2020, 12:06 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
You hit the nail right on the head. Both parties have their own agenda and number one on the list is getting re-elected. As always, we need a third party. Trump is more of a populist than anything and there has been progress.
You're right but Trump is not a populist, he just plays one on TV. He goes on about "clearing out the swamp" yet he just makes the swamp elsewhere. It is laughable people think he is a populist, by policy he is as big business as they come.

As for the stimulus, I have long said they should be reoccuring throughout the crisis. Why, unemployment has a pretty big donut hole that you will fall through.
  • If you didn't work in a job long enough, you fall in the donut hole. (this happened to a friend)
  • If you haven't been a resident in a state long enough, you fall in the donut hole.
  • If you didn't make enough in a quarter, you fall in the donut hole. (this could happen to my mother)
  • If you work at a school and can't find work in summer, you fall in the donut hole. (this is my case)
  • If you work multiple jobs and don't know the work location id, you fall in the donut hole.
The only donut hole filled is that the unemployment starts from the date you enrolled and self-employed and gig workers are in fact included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics