Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 05:03 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,074,137 times

Advertisements

USPS is sadly an organization that will have to be phased out with each and every decade.

mail catalogs, CC offers, random internet provider offer, etc will be a thing of the past once certain generations are gone. Everything will be email, social media ad, text, smartphone app, etc.

The only thing that they can improve is parcel shipments. They should investment in a new ERP/Tracking system for parcel shipments. Also, they can use a more user-friendly website.

Maybe merge the USPS and DMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2020, 06:50 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,379,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homelessinseattle View Post
Voting by mail rocks.
Giving private business a bailout and not our own postal service sucks.
We all laugh at Charlie Brown for -- yet again -- trusting Lucy to hold the football as he tries to kick it. And, every time, she pulls the ball way and he falls.

Why should we, the taxpayers trust that with the postal service debt 'it will be different this time'.

Old 04-11-2020, 07:31 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,773,391 times
When did you/we/taxpayers have a say? USPS is public union and in this country public unions get their way very time.

Old 04-11-2020, 07:33 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,565,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Vote by mail is a recipe for fraud and conservatives and moderates everywhere should fight this bid by the left. Also once you start voting by mail it will be very easy to see who you just voted for. Right to a secret ballot is gone. And I don't care how they are doing it already in Oregon.

Put on your mask, put on your scarf, get yourself to the polls. If you want to vote at all that is.
Voter fraud by mail is nearly nonexistent. Multiple Republicans came out today to say so as it’s simply a falsehood Trump brings up. Well I should say the last voter fraud conviction I recall was a republican who was convicted of changing ballots

Old 04-11-2020, 07:35 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,565,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
USPS is sadly an organization that will have to be phased out with each and every decade.

mail catalogs, CC offers, random internet provider offer, etc will be a thing of the past once certain generations are gone. Everything will be email, social media ad, text, smartphone app, etc.

The only thing that they can improve is parcel shipments. They should investment in a new ERP/Tracking system for parcel shipments. Also, they can use a more user-friendly website.

Maybe merge the USPS and DMV.

Maybe you aren’t really aware of the numbers but the USPS delivers hundreds of millions of pieces of mail daily. I believe it’s over 300MM to be a bit more accurate and they deliver to places that would go entirely unserved by any of the private careers

Old 04-11-2020, 07:37 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Vote by mail is a recipe for fraud and conservatives and moderates everywhere should fight this bid by the left. Also once you start voting by mail it will be very easy to see who you just voted for. Right to a secret ballot is gone. And I don't care how they are doing it already in Oregon.

Put on your mask, put on your scarf, get yourself to the polls. If you want to vote at all that is.
Oh, is that how they're planning to do it? Everyone in masks and gloves, lining up 6 feet apart? At that rate, the lines will stretch all around several city blocks. And if that's how it's going to be, they'd better not pull the closed- polling-station business, and the polling-location-moved-at-the-last-minute business, to try to suppress votes in Dem precincts, like they have in the past, because then the lines will be even longer at the fewer polling stations that will be open. This will not go well, is my prediction, even if they have extra polling stations open, to try to keep the lines shorter.

Old 04-11-2020, 07:42 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Voter fraud by mail is nearly nonexistent. Multiple Republicans came out today to say so as it’s simply a falsehood Trump brings up. Well I should say the last voter fraud conviction I recall was a republican who was convicted of changing ballots
I couldn't rep you again. Claims of "voter fraud" are a smokescreen for the rampant vote suppression that's been carried out by the party making the fraud accusations, since the Bush/Kerry election and before. Florida, and "hanging chads" (Bush/Gore), New Mexico & rigged voting machines (proven in federal court, after Bush/Kerry), voter list purges going on illegally during the prohibited period 3 months prior to the election (Trump 2016), etc.

Old 04-11-2020, 07:46 PM

1,361 posts, read 552,231 times
Quote:

+1

We vote by mail here in left coast Washington and in the recent primary they added "declare your party affiliation on the OUTSIDE of your ballot envelope or your vote is invalid." Why can't it be inside with my ballot? I actually took my ballot to the drop box rather than mail it... on the off chance my postman was a Democrat who had it in for Trump supporters.

Lets not forget the closest governor's race in US history (scam) in 2004 when the R was declared the winner initially but the D won by 100 votes after like 5 recounts. Something about finding boxes and boxes of uncounted ballots in the trunks of people's cars.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I couldn't rep you again. Claims of "voter fraud" are a smokescreen for the rampant vote suppression that's been going on since the Bush/Kerry election and before. Florida, and "hanging chads" (Bush/Gore), New Mexico & rigged voting machines (proven in federal court, after Bush/Kerry), etc.

Really?

And what would you say if I told you King Co. Washington (the liberal heart of this blue state) continues to send a mail ballot to my address for my former roommate who moved to Missouri SEVEN years ago. I've emailed and called asking his voter registration be updated so I don't continue to get ballots but they claim he must do it himself.

So if I check the vote box for him and sign his name and mail it in is it considered fraud?

Old 04-11-2020, 08:43 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,074,137 times
Quote:
Maybe you aren’t really aware of the numbers but the USPS delivers hundreds of millions of pieces of mail daily. I believe it’s over 300MM to be a bit more accurate and they deliver to places that would go entirely unserved by any of the private careers
I am fully aware. As i stated a portion of their delivery (letters, catalogs, etc) will probably start to be less common as the decades pass. You also have their competition improving their services. ( UPS, Fedex, and now Amazon) Fedex and UPS now offering 7 day delivery. Amazon launching their own logistics division to ship their own packages and potentially offering it to other retailers.

Wasn't USPS considering cancelling Saturday service to cut cost??

Old 04-12-2020, 12:15 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,575,737 times
Everyone that I have known that has worked for the USPS, raves about how great the benefits are and how great the retirement package is, (maybe this needs to change?)

Personally, I could cancel my mail delivery and be totally fine, I could set up my bills to come by email, or even texts, 98% of what I get in my mailbox...goes straight in the garbage! (have to wonder how much paper is wasted annually on these ads trying to sell stuff NO ONE even needs or wants?)

I just wonder if the ad people realize how many residents toss their stuff without even looking at it?!

I can honestly say, I cannot remember ONE SINGLE TIME, when i got an ad in the mail and it influenced my decision to buy the product or service. I bet many other people can say the same thing too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics