Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you been economically impacted by CoVid19?
Yes, I was laid off or furloughed 22 18.03%
Yes, I have my job but my pay was cut 11 9.02%
No, but I see the writing on the wall, may be impacted soon! 20 16.39%
No, not impacted and I doubt I will be 69 56.56%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2020, 02:18 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times

Advertisements

I haven’t been impacted yet but certainly could be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2020, 02:21 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
I'm unemployed because of Covid, but because I made so little compared to my husband and because of a new stream of income added (since February) from an inheritance we aren't seeing an affect. My husband works for Amazon HQ so I don't know when, or if, we will be affected.

Old 04-25-2020, 02:27 PM

5,152 posts, read 3,760,274 times
I lost my full time job and my wife since she was working in the same industry(travel) lost hers too and was forced to take another job. I am one of the working retired so while not catastrophic the job loss wasn't welcomed.

Old 04-25-2020, 02:29 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
I'm an Insurance Account Manager and have always worked remotely. My DH is a Mechanical Engineer for a company that does Medical Sterilization. The company he works for is almost a monopoly and sterilizes ALL medical equipment. We're both quite busy right now with our jobs due the virus. Of course you never know what could happen, nothing is 100% secure.

Old 04-25-2020, 02:40 PM

962 posts, read 612,806 times
Yes. With no sports to wager on, I'm not getting paid by my bookie each week.

Old 04-25-2020, 03:41 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
Yes. With no sports to wager on, I'm not getting paid by my bookie each week.
Don't know how you feel about German soccer, but Bundesliga is apparently restarting May 9th. There might be a little light at the end of the tunnel for you.

Old 04-25-2020, 03:44 PM

21,932 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Only via the investment portfolio/net worth.

Old 04-25-2020, 06:25 PM

837 posts, read 1,710,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Sorry, I should've clarified that this applies to only those who are NOT retired... if you are retired obviously it makes no difference to you
Those who are retired may be affected by the economic downturn. For example, my TIAA annuity amount resets for the year on 3/20. The Dow Jones was 19,173 on Saturday 3/21. (I record every weekend.) Fortunately, I'm fairly conservative so the amount that investments contribute to my income is just enough to deal with inflation (usually). However, I still haven't received my 2019 tax refund, and our present government seems a little chaotic. So, I reduced taxes withheld from the annuity and mailed a form to SS to reduce that withholding. So my income will actually go up a bit. Still refund for next year will be significantly less than previous years.
Also, I used to see some of my old neighbors going off to work every day. Some are definitely working shorter or no hours now.

Old 04-25-2020, 06:31 PM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Not yet, and the forecast is looking better.

I work a hospital system. We had a large furlough impacting about 10% of employees throughout the system, but probably more in the corporate division, where I work. On my team, the weakest performer was furloughed. The rest of us (roughly 9/10) have been kept on. On other teams under my director, the least senior person seemed to be furloughed.

My immediate family has been spared. My mom is retired. My dad is an essential employee at a pharmaceutical plant as their lead mechanic, and has been getting tons of overtime. He grossed over $1,000 one Friday night when the small plant was nearly empty on triple time and hazard pay. The owners were worth $800m in 2001, so they're most definitely billionaires today. An aunt works in an advertising department at a major cable company - no idea how she is still working, but she is. I have some cousins laid off and one aunt I'm not close to furloughed all her employees for a painting company.

I've been saving a ton of money. I probably ate out 3 lunches a week during the week and probably 4 dinners a week - most of that is gone in favor of meals in. I'm still doing a decent bit of takeout, but that means no alcohol, less tip, etc. I haven't spent a night in a hotel since January when I was averaging a night or two most months on weekend trips. Gas is cheaper and I've been using much less of it, telecommuting full-time.

The hospital system will be bringing back the revenue generators with the stay at home order being lifted at the end of the month. I'm feeling more optimistic about my job from that alone.

Old 04-25-2020, 07:12 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
amazing how well people are doing here.. the majority seem to be unscathed! It looks like this pandemic is affecting only a select set of industries which aligns with my "a divide is being created" thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics