Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you been economically impacted by CoVid19?
Yes, I was laid off or furloughed 22 18.03%
Yes, I have my job but my pay was cut 11 9.02%
No, but I see the writing on the wall, may be impacted soon! 20 16.39%
No, not impacted and I doubt I will be 69 56.56%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 09:22 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,140,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenInNY View Post
No. The working people are tired of the shutdown. Time to go back to work. Enough is enough. Sounds like you want to stay locked up forever. Go for it.
Meh, it's more the ridiculous way you said it. There's a perfectly reasonable argument to be made on your side. You just didn't choose to go that route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2020, 02:12 PM

20,106 posts, read 9,018,880 times
two of my adult children have been offered 6 figure jobs in the past 3 weeks in the midst of all these layoffs. Weird.

Old 04-26-2020, 02:29 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
two of my adult children have been offered 6 figure jobs in the past 3 weeks in the midst of all these layoffs. Weird.
My son is a partner in one of the largest labor law firms in the country ...he has been so busy heading up the National dept for processing the mass paper work needed that he has been working 15 hours a day ...they had been hiring help like crazy because of it

Old 04-26-2020, 04:00 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
2008 was way worse, I work in Software Engineering and I recall at the time that people were getting laid off left and right. A huge majority of people I knew were out of work. This time around I don't see many layoffs elsewhere yet... i'm unfortunately severely affected as we are in the Event/Sports industry which is completely halted at the moment. I spoke to a few friends and they are optimistic about their jobs... naive perhaps? Who knows. I'm guessing the real carnage may start in Q2/Q3.

However, I think most businesses are complacent and think this is a temp situation that will blow over rather quickly which is why many companies are just not bothered with any layoffs. If they suddenly realize that there is more to this then the panic may start.

Look at this poll too... the vast majority are not impacted and they are also confident in their employment situation. It's amazing... if you had this poll in 2008 it would've been dramatically different, most would've been in the laid off category.

Old 04-26-2020, 05:29 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,230,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Look at this poll too... the vast majority are not impacted and they are also confident in their employment situation. It's amazing... if you had this poll in 2008 it would've been dramatically different, most would've been in the laid off category.
I'm guessing most of those who visit the Economics forum don't work in the majority of services industry that are going to be affected. Maybe more white-collar, public workers, those with careers who aren't going to be as impacted by with what's going on regularly post in these threads.

Old 04-26-2020, 05:46 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
I'm hoping to be positively impacted with a $2400 deposit.

Old 04-26-2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
2008 was way worse, I work in Software Engineering and I recall at the time that people were getting laid off left and right. A huge majority of people I knew were out of work. This time around I don't see many layoffs elsewhere yet... i'm unfortunately severely affected as we are in the Event/Sports industry which is completely halted at the moment. I spoke to a few friends and they are optimistic about their jobs... naive perhaps? Who knows. I'm guessing the real carnage may start in Q2/Q3.

However, I think most businesses are complacent and think this is a temp situation that will blow over rather quickly which is why many companies are just not bothered with any layoffs. If they suddenly realize that there is more to this then the panic may start.

I would not want to be in sports related or restaurant related businesses right now. Many will self isolate regardless of what government does. I will probably go to a restaurant occasionally if it ain't crowded.

Old 04-26-2020, 05:50 PM

A lot of people are going to be positively impacted. Many who make less than 700 a week will be getting 900 from unemployment.

Old 04-26-2020, 06:52 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
The best option for me wasn't available. I am really really lucky. I got laid off at the end of Jan, found a new job in late Feb, started new job in mid-March. And my new company had lay-offs - but I wasn't impacted. :O

The company has made some obvious cuts - no exec bonuses, limit travel expenses, and more oversight on spending. Now that I am getting more familiar with the company - it is clear they get too fast and hadn't scaled the right way or setup proper infrastructure in many areas. Growth can hid a lot of problems, but when you investors say no new money for 2 years - you really hold your company up to a microscope. They decided to rip the bandaid and the scab off right now as opposed to prolonging and waiting. Which should leave the company a lot stronger in the long run.

There will definitely be a huge divide and I feel extraordinarily fortunate to have been able to land before stuff hit the fan, and remain employed.

Old 04-26-2020, 07:00 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Even with the news of 25 million people being unemployed nationwide, in my professional circle of acquaintances I have yet to hear of anyone being laid off/furloughed or even having their pay or benefits reduced. Wondering if this is an anomaly or if things are infact really bad out there across all industries. I know retail, restaurants and industries dealing with events are adversely affected but other industries seem to be doing just fine?

This applies only to those still in the work force! Thanks!
In my circle - it is a mixed bag. One of my friend works for a city, and they furloughed many people and will announced plans for mass layoffs in the mid summer.

I work in tech - companies that have a good sized war chest are relatively stable, but smaller companies who were in the middle of growth mode are screed unless they were able to secure a ton of money before they ramped spending. Lots of layoff - but not across the board. More of the mid-stage companies. Non-profit land is risky right now.

So I'd say, it really depends on who your company's customers are will be the short term driver. And the long term driver will be is how closely Dows your company's revenue align with consumer spending. A company like Shopify or Square is likely seeing a big boost right now - as companies who were slow to e-commerce are signing up. But a lot of retail and services businesses will not survive, so they will also see a lot of churn.

Instacart, DoorDash, and Grubhub are seeing a boost now - but as people don't have disposable income and unemployment rises, they won't be able to grow.

I also think this is just getting started, and we won't start to see the next wave of broad unemployment until late summer/ early fall. if things can't start opening up by mid-May or early June - this will be when companies decide to not reopen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics