Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 10:06 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
It's been publicly reported that three different White House sources have said the Trump administration wants at least one more $1,200 check as they think it would boost Trump's re-election chances. Everyone likes free money ...
When you give more free money, the cost of everything goes up and the free money suddenly got less value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2020, 10:15 AM

3,349 posts, read 1,238,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Must be nice to have the funds to finance a bathroom renovation at a time of economic catastrophe and the stimulus check was not necessary. It's as if you are totally unaware that there are millions of Americans are not in your situation. They find themselves out of work through no fault of their own and those initial checks have long ago been spent on things like rent and food.
you are correct in that there are millions of people are in bad financial situations.
that doesn't mean someone who has money saved and doesn't need a stimulus can't recognize how stupid this proposal is. the restriction on when the money would have to be spent is idiotic. it won't stimulate the economy anymore than giving out that same money without the restriction.

the millions of people who are in bad financial shape- how does forcing them to spend the money in a certain time period stimulate the economy any more than just giving them that money? it doesn't. they'd spend it anyway.

there are also people making more money not working than they were working. there are people who should be fine but aren't bc they spend money like drunken sailors when times are good and save nothing for when times are bad.
it would be disingenuous to not mention them if you're going to mention the people who are in bad shape through no fault of their own.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:44 AM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamPittsburgh View Post
Where do these lunatics thinks money comes from????
Magicland. Next question?
After confirming that they're lunatics, that is.

Old 05-20-2020, 11:33 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,323,605 times
The more free money people get, the lazier people are. Why would people want to work hard when they just sit at home and still have money sent automatically into their bank accounts?

The solution is the governments and all those genius people in the world need to think how to create jobs for people to do, so they can work and earn money to live their life.

When people have work to do and earn decent money to live, that helps them to live a healthier life and be more decent.

When people don't have jobs to do, and you just hand them money for free, they become lazy and their minds are not busy with work, but busy with thinking of buying stuffs, booze and drugs and having a lot of sex, and more and more unwanted babies to be born under irresponsible women and men. Plus, when people don't have jobs to do, they just stay home more and find things to argue and fight with each other. People can even fight over free money because some husbands, wives, partners, parents, children are frugal, and others are extravagant. The society and the world are going to be crazier and crazier when people don't have work to do.

Old 05-20-2020, 11:38 AM

6,755 posts, read 5,056,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
Wearing a mask is such a simple way, to protect one another, in this horrific day and age. Why some are making such a federal case of this is crazy.

I heard that the droplets stay in the air for 14 minutes, after a loud talker, I really don't want this illness, for my loved ones or me. Are people just thinking they are too good to put on a mask? They probably wear warm hats and coats in a snow storm. (Or maybe not. With the thinking, won't happen to me.)

It's a simple way to save lives. Why not just do it?
I believe we’re entering a dark age of sorts. Many people have decided they can have whatever facts and science they like, as long as it supports their own belief system. Yes, there has always been a segment of society with this mindset, but that contingent seems to be growing.

Old 05-20-2020, 01:18 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
the $1200 chcks resulted in a huge increase in the purchases of big screen Televisions at Target and Walmart. Is he trying to stimulate wlamart and target, or big screen television manufacturers (of which there are none in the uNited States).

Old 05-20-2020, 01:59 PM

10,068 posts, read 7,239,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
the $1200 chcks resulted in a huge increase in the purchases of big screen Televisions at Target and Walmart. Is he trying to stimulate wlamart and target, or big screen television manufacturers (of which there are none in the uNited States).
People are trapped in their houses and desperate for distractions for their kids who no longer go to school. TVs seem like a logical purchase.

Old 05-20-2020, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
People are trapped in their houses and desperate for distractions for their kids who no longer go to school. TVs seem like a logical purchase.
Sure I love tv
and I have a monster tv setup

But people who are crying they can't pay for food and rent should not be buying tvs

Old 05-20-2020, 02:23 PM

10,068 posts, read 7,239,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
Sure I love tv
and I have a monster tv setup

But people who are crying they can't pay for food and rent should not be buying tvs
A high quality 65 inch Samsung TV can be had for $6-700. The TV manufacturers are so desperate they are selling us on upgrades most humans can't even see with their eyes. These things are really not signs of luxury.

Old 05-20-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
A high quality 65 inch Samsung TV can be had for $6-700. The TV manufacturers are so desperate they are selling us on upgrades most humans can't even see with their eyes. These things are really not signs of luxury.
i never said they were a sign of luxery.
i got samsung 75 inch a few years ago, triple dipped on a great deal and paid about 1100 all in (amex had deal with dell 100 dollars cash back so i split the payment across 3 amex cards) plus i got 10 or 12 percent back from ebates.

In 2008 i bought a 52 inch samsung lcd for 2,000 dollars which besides my car is the most expensive thing i've ever bought.and that was after several months of waiting for a good deal as tvs were way more expensive back then.

But I wasn't complaining about not being able to pay my food or rent. In 2005 i was broke recent college graduate and I wasn't out buying expensive tvs. It might not be a sign of luxery but if someone can't pay their rent or put food on the table they're idiots for buying 700 dollar tvs they don't need. Their poor financial decisions over and over again are a big reason they have nothing saved when **** hits the fan. If i went out and 200k on a car like a moron I would have no right to complain if i can't pay my bills.

If someone is working hard, struggling gets his with unexpected medical bills that wipe out their savings and then get hit with job loss i feel bad for them. If someone just blows all of their money on crap they don't need then cries when they lose their job about how screwed they are i don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics