Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will cash disappear on account of Covid-19
Yes, cash is too dirty to handle and vendors will no longer accept it permanently 5 6.67%
No, cash will remain as widely accepted as before and maybe even more 49 65.33%
Not entirely but vendors will still seriously discourage its use 21 28.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 10:00 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,020 times

Advertisements

More people WILL end up unemployed, homeless, starve & die as DIRECT-result of a sudden & radical change from paper/coin-money, to cyber/digital-currency.

Regardless of whether or not he understood exactly what he was shown (in his vision) 'John of Patmos' saw this, and wrote of it in 'Revelations'.

Does not matter whether or not anyone believes in the accuracy of said-revelations...

...it IS written...and it WILL come to pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2020, 10:56 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Cash may be widely accepted currently (but not all) but it's rare to see someone actually using it. I have had the same 2 five dollar bills in my wallet since about September.

With so many digital options plus debit cards I just don't bother with cash any more, and that's since well before COVID-19.
Jesus will you dust those bills off and go to a strip joint. Well......it may cover the entry fee......

Truthfully cash will never go away. No matter how much the.... “people who really run the world” want cash gone.

Old 05-20-2020, 02:49 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,599,623 times
I'm only 25 and I use cash all the time.

I highly doubt it's responsible for spreading Coronavirus anyway

Old 05-20-2020, 03:23 PM

11,128 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Cash is no dirtier than every doorknob, or handrail, or elevator button, or credit/debit card reader at the checkout (They're covered, but no one is cleaning the covers between customers). Do you touch the armrest on your seat at the theater, or at the doctor's office waiting room, or the bench at the park, or the gate to the dog park, etc, etc, etc? Everything is dirty. If you touch anything at all, it's dirty. Use your sanitizer after handling money if you're worried. I'm not. We can't prevent all germs and virus from getting on our skin, but we can keep our hands clean by washing them frequently and keeping them out of our mouth/nose/eyes between washings.

Old 05-20-2020, 04:28 PM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Cash is no dirtier than every doorknob, or handrail, or elevator button, or credit/debit card reader at the checkout (They're covered, but no one is cleaning the covers between customers).
I would say the debit credit card readers are much more likely to spread the virus than paper money. How many hundreds of people a day are using those machines, touching the same buttons? And like you said, few are bothering to clean them. I have a bleach water solution I use to clean items I bring into my house. Very easy to clean and money you get in change.

Plus covid-19 lives on plastic up to 7 days (plastic buttons or credit cards) and only up to 4 days on paper money.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 05-20-2020 at 04:44 PM..

Old 05-20-2020, 06:10 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
A long time ago, so to speak, you could actually clean money by putting it in the washing machine. Now money is fragile and uses weird color dyes and might have special fibers running through. Otherwise I’d just wash my bills.
Don't you know money laundering is illegal? Seriously, though this just accelerated a trend already in place. Many people never use cash anyway. A few coffee shops don't accept cash anymore.

Old 05-20-2020, 08:10 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
If you want to buy something I advertise on Craigslist, bring cash. I don't take credit cards or personal checks.

Old 05-20-2020, 08:16 PM

30,635 posts, read 18,222,068 times
I hope not. I dont trust the government to not screw people over if we moved to a cashless society.

Old 05-21-2020, 12:12 AM

8,232 posts, read 3,490,786 times
Some businesses around here are refusing cash.

They are even changing laundrymats into debit/credit card only. No coins allowed. (Which means the machine could malfunction and wipe out everything on the card and you can't do anything about it.)

Old 05-21-2020, 04:21 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I barely use cash as it is, now will use it even less because I don't want to get someone else's money back as change.
That is an interesting thought. We are paying euros here in Portugal for our house call doctor, rent , taxis and tips. But that is all one way, with no change coming back. The paper money seem new coming out of the ATM.
You don't see worn out euros.

In the US though, I never have the occasion to use cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics