Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 08:34 AM

471 posts, read 1,475,499 times

Advertisements

Is the middle class of America turning into a giant class of .. bitterness?

I've been talking to a few people, and, they've all seem to just.. bite my head off.

"Gas prices is RISING. It's RIDICULOUS. It's going to be $5 in no time!"
Me: "Well, with a falling dollar - the prices are just going to keep rising. And, shut up. It was suppose to go to $4 last summer, it never did. Stop listening to the media and pseudo-economists."

And, of course. I get slammed with "You know nothing", or that the "news is always right". etcetc.

And, when I was at lunch with a friend the other day, she starts complaining on how her dad might lose his job to a "towel-head".
I told her that's the way of the world, and if he still wants to be on top - He's going to need to work harder.
and, of course. that sent her for a loop.

But, It's just so.. pathetic. How bitter some people can be. Just, get over it and try your hardest. Ranting and complaining is not going to get you anywhere. And, thank god my parents don't complain, and are able to fill up the suburban without losing an arm. But, listening to some people - Eeek. It's annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 08:58 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,712,733 times
The economic world order has changed. Until people can accept that and adapt to new realities, there will be plenty of bitterness that the US can no longer call the shots as easily as we did a generation ago.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:06 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,507,824 times
Default busy

Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolistraffic View Post

I've been talking to a few people, and, they've all seem to just.. bite my head off.

Me: "Well, with a falling dollar - the prices are just going to keep rising. And, shut up. It was suppose to go to $4 last summer, it never did. Stop listening to the media and pseudo-economists."

And, of course. I get slammed with "You know nothing", or that the "news is always right". etcetc.

And, when I was at lunch with a friend the other day, she starts complaining on how her dad might lose his job to a "towel-head".
I told her that's the way of the world, and if he still wants to be on top - He's going to need to work harder.

But, It's just so.. pathetic. How bitter some people can be. Just, get over it and try your hardest. Ranting and complaining is not going to get you anywhere. And, thank god my parents don't complain, and are able to fill up the suburban without losing an arm. But, listening to some people - Eeek. It's annoying.
Look the sheople are emotional, shortsighted folk that don't realize that we are in the midst of a major change. Just stay YOUR course and plan for YOUR rise in America.
Ya know. My father told me 15 years ago that it really wasn't worth the young folks to work because he thought the boomers were going to leave us a mess to clean that would break us both financially and socially. And while I understand his point of view. I know that I can't honestly take that advice. In fact I have to do the exact opposite. I know it's going to be harder to make a living in my lifetime as opposed to years past. But I will roll up my sleeves and work and try to make risky but calculated investments. Hopefully with this simple strategy I can maybe get a little ahead of the game.
So WTF I going to give it my best shot and if it doesn't work. At least I tried.
To all the sheople out there that got to b!!ch but do nothing about. Either get busy living or get busy dying.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:12 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
we had it good for a long time. good times are now drying up. good times were earned with labor movements and nothing else. when we got rich we got rid of them.
many 70's, "new americans dreams" turned out to be false prophets riding on the back of good times. but the most significant product of the good life, kidults and permaparents.
we could not bear to deny them the things that we never had, of course that is what made us strong. see those hard working mexican people in the fields picking lettuce thats guna be us in 15 years. tell your kidults not to bother to bring his skateboard when he reports for work in the field, he won't need it.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:25 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,968,882 times
I'm just looking forward to the upcoming cheap services like therapeutic massages, restaurants, car maintenance, etc. They used to silently call us "ugly Americans" when we traveled to Eastern Europe and ate like kings for pennies on the dollar. Hypothetical question, what will members of the underpaid service sector call those who patronize them if they're both Americans?

Old 04-27-2008, 09:37 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,362,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolistraffic View Post

Well your advice was extremely impractical, thats why they bit your head off.

Working harder has nothing to do with anything. If a company is doing bad because of a recession then they might get laid off, no amount of working hard is going to change that. Supposedly companies are bringing in H1B workers because they work for less than American's do. So, again nothing to do with working hard.

Scare in rising gas prices will have something to do with speculators. But it has far more to do with diminishing supply. With diminishing supply comes more work to extract the resources, with more work comes more expense. That expense is then passed on to the consumer.

I think more research on your part would better equip you to have more robust discussions with your friends.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:45 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,467,952 times
Americans are bitter because we have been spoiled, run up huge personal and national debt, and now the bills are coming due. Those of us who are Boomers are crying because we thought the world owed us a cushy 30 year-long retirement where we could sit on our ***es in our McMansions and do whatever we wanted. Now that we see that is probably not the way it will be at all, we're all ticked off about it. The Gen-X'ers, Millenials, etc. are all twisted off because they can see that they can't and won't have it as good as their indulgent parents--and they will blame them for ****ing away the country's resources and wealth. Of course, all of those generations haven't changed their wasteful ways one iota, either. They want it all, too.

It is a bitter pill to swallow, knowing that you may in the first generation in close to 3/4's of a century to have it considerably worse economically than did your predecessors, but that is exactly the bed we have made for ourselves--recklessly wasting and squandering our natural and financial resources on wanton consumption has made it so. I have quoted these passages from President Theodore Roosevelt several times before on City-data, but it bears repeating. The guy saw quite clearly what was happening to the US over a century ago:

Quote:
"We of an older generation can get along with what we have, though with growing hardship; but in your full manhood and womanhood you will want what nature once so bountifully supplied and man so thoughtlessly destroyed; and because of that want you will reproach us, not for what we have used, but for what we have wasted...So any nation which in its youth lives only for the day, reaps without sowing, and consumes without husbanding, must expect the penalty of the prodigal whose labor could with difficulty find him the bare means of life."
"Arbor Day - A Message to the School-Children of the United States" April 15, 1907
and:

Quote:
"The conservation of natural resources is the fundamental problem. Unless we solve that problem it will avail us little to solve all others."
Address to the Deep Waterway Convention, Memphis, TN, October 4, 1907

Old 04-27-2008, 09:50 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,362,522 times
jaazlover

It is worse now than it was a decade ago this is a fact. We did this to ourselves, that is a fact. But what in your mind should be done besides lessening our consumeristic ways and fixing the current situation?

Old 04-27-2008, 10:01 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,286,819 times
Why do you think GW and the Washington DC crowd are giving away helicopter money. They are just hoping they can keep a lid on this mess until they can get out. I bet they have nightmares about hoards marching on DC with ropes and pichforks.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:02 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Wild..those of us that see it are in a minority. The majority blames the Corporations and want the government to "fix it". Not many Americans want to cut back voluntarily and live a more conservative lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics