Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 10:20 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,171,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Let me toss in a few other points into this conversation. I am 73 and still working. I had coworkers that told me I would work myself to death. They retired and died!
Because, guess what: You can't do one thing with your life until you are quite elderly and set in your ways and then suddenly make a 90-degree turn to something else. It simply doesn't work for the majority of people, and the idea that you work long and hard for forty years and then by-god you're going to fish or play golf or write for the rest of your days is... absurd. Especially since this "reward" is often predicated on moving out of your lifetime nest of friends, family and familiar to some green-grass "paradise" you've only visited... without a single connection of any kind.

The nasty stick and toxic carrot of "retirement," a concept I'd like to see retired with other forms of slavery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2020, 10:52 AM
Status: "Look right->My Blog Entries for my Top 200 USA MSA's" (set 9 days ago)

1,046 posts, read 960,699 times
If unemployment issue is not solved soon it could spill over into further economic decline. I've been unemployed for the last 3 months and luckily have received generous benefits. Once they run out, idk. I am considered downsizing from a 1600 sq ft townhouse to a trailer or a tiny house. There just doesn't seem to be much opportunity in my field of accounting here. It seems like most job opportunities (outside of state government jobs) here are trucking and warehousing.

Old 06-21-2020, 11:29 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,171,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
It seems like most job opportunities (outside of state government jobs) here are trucking and warehousing.
Right now, yes, because those who use online shopping doubled their orders and the 1/3 of Americans who have never used it, started. Amazon et al. can't move the stuff fast enough.

I wouldn't count on them being anything like permanent jobs — kinda like moving to North Dakota to take an oil field job at insane wages... that may cease to exist next week.

Accounting? Not a field I'd want to be in. On the tier of those white-collar/robot-proof jobs about to be invaded by AI/automation.

As this thread and others make pretty clear, our notions of full/un/employment are going to need some radical revisions.

Old 06-21-2020, 01:25 PM

18,494 posts, read 15,474,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Stock markets are near or at all-time highs despite labor force participation rate at an 50 year low and unemployment at a 70 year high.

So my question is, is it necessary at all to re-employ the 35 million unemployed? It does not seem like their jobs matter and we can do fine without them.
The right wingers would need to be willing to let those people get more government aid, which seems quite far off from their current philosophy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics