Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2021, 02:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times

Advertisements

Since we haven't used cash in any years, we have 4 jars full of coins in the house. We might take them to the coin machine at the supermarket if it gave back gift certificates that could be used to buy online. As it is, it can only be spent at that store, and we don't shop much there.

When I passed by the Mariners stadium in Seattle a while ago they had a new sign "T-Mobile Park is a "Cash-Free" venue. Smaller print said that they take only cards and mobile device payments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2021, 06:27 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,073,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Update for September 2021.
I have not used cash in the USA for the last 32 months.
You must not ever
shop at farmers markets,
go to community dinners such as at churches and veterans halls,
shop at outdoor flea markets or yard sales,
eat fast food at fairs and festivals,
buy tickets or snacks at school concerts, games, or plays
need to tip the strippers at clubs, or street musicians,
pay library fines, or use copy machines at the library.

Last edited by slowlane3; 09-28-2021 at 06:35 AM..

Old 09-28-2021, 06:37 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,073,436 times
This was mentioned before, but the U.S. needs to stop printing paper $1 bills, and instead design a $1 coin such as Canada's with octagonal sides and a copper center, which can't be confused with a 25c quarter.

Old 09-28-2021, 07:59 AM

18,801 posts, read 8,467,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
This was mentioned before, but the U.S. needs to stop printing paper $1 bills, and instead design a $1 coin such as Canada's with octagonal sides and a copper center, which can't be confused with a 25c quarter.
I would vote against that. I only carry paper now. And very little of that. My 'wallet' is a thin money clip with a credit card and driver's license on the outsides, and a few folded bills in between as filler so it all stays together in my side pocket.

Old 09-28-2021, 08:45 AM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
We need to bring back something similar to a Morgan Silver Dollar, but not have it be real silver due to obvious costs.

Old 09-28-2021, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
We need to bring back something similar to a Morgan Silver Dollar, but not have it be real silver due to obvious costs.
Too large, too heavy. I wouldn't use them.

At least the SBA dollars were quarter size. lol

Old 09-28-2021, 11:00 AM

86 posts, read 65,790 times
I'd been moving away from cash pre-COVID, but in March 2020 I almost completely gave it up.

Until recently I used quarters for the laundromat (for washing items such as heavy bedspreads and the like that would unduly strain our home appliances) and the nearby manual car wash. Now that laundromat has machines that accept plastic. I imagine the car wash will as well before long.

I still keep $200 in currency in my wallet, but I can't remember the last time I used any of it. It's just there for emergencies. Between online banking and billing, things like Venmo for interpersonal transfers of money, and the near-universal acceptance of plastic, for me physical money for use on any sort of regular basis has become almost completely unnecessary.

Old 09-28-2021, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermorvan View Post
I'd been moving away from cash pre-COVID, but in March 2020 I almost completely gave it up.

Until recently I used quarters for the laundromat (for washing items such as heavy bedspreads and the like that would unduly strain our home appliances) and the nearby manual car wash. Now that laundromat has machines that accept plastic. I imagine the car wash will as well before long.

I still keep $200 in currency in my wallet, but I can't remember the last time I used any of it. It's just there for emergencies. Between online banking and billing, things like Venmo for interpersonal transfers of money, and the near-universal acceptance of plastic, for me physical money for use on any sort of regular basis has become almost completely unnecessary.
I can't imagine how many man-hours have been saved by individuals and businesses not having to count out and dole out pennies!

Old 09-28-2021, 11:21 AM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I can't imagine how many man-hours have been saved by individuals and businesses not having to count out and dole out pennies!
Instead of economies of scale, it is currencies of scale, lol. When I was a kid, I always enjoyed putting a quarter in a vending machine and then pressing the coin return button hoping to get a silver quarter pre 1965 (it would give you a different coin every time depending on how many were in the machine).

Old 09-28-2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Instead of economies of scale, it is currencies of scale, lol. When I was a kid, I always enjoyed putting a quarter in a vending machine and then pressing the coin return button hoping to get a silver quarter pre 1965 (it would give you a different coin every time depending on how many were in the machine).
In the early 60's my grandparents had M&M machines all over town as a source of retirement income. I ended up with nice nickle collections!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics