Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 01:01 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,089,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
It all depends on your tax liability. I guess you technically only owed the government $600 last year instead of $900, so you only get $600. By owed, I don't mean "paid", since more than likely after tax credits, you got a refund. Next year however, your refund will be $600 less what you would of got because that $600 is NOT free money. It's your money, just given to you earlier. Treat it as such..
I keep hearing two different things...that the rebate will affect your refund next year and that it won't affect it at all.

Which is it?? I'm getting $2400, so that's a huge chunk of my refund if it's not going to be there next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 01:13 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,592,135 times
My neighbor found out why she didn't get hers on Friday, May 9th. She filed with H&R Block and was told she'd receive her rebate via direct deposit on May 9th. She didn't get it. She called the IRS and the wait time was too long. So she called her tax agent and found out that since she opted to have the cost of preparing her taxes taken out of her stimulus rebate, her payment would come later than May 9th, and it would come in the form of a check and not direct deposit. Since she had three schedule Cs, her taxes cost over $500 to prepare. Rather than write a check for that, she thought it would be easier to just have it deducted from her rebate payment. Her H&R Block tax rep didn't tell her that this would delay her rebate payment. At the time she filed, her H&R Block rep didn't know this would be the case. Very frustrating. She now has to wait until the end of June for her rebate check to be mailed.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeaTexan View Post
I keep hearing two different things...that the rebate will affect your refund next year and that it won't affect it at all.

Which is it?? I'm getting $2400, so that's a huge chunk of my refund if it's not going to be there next year.
Here is a link to the IRS website that has information about the impact on next years' taxes. I believe your question will be answered about half way down the page.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:24 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
My neighbor found out why she didn't get hers on Friday, May 9th. She filed with H&R Block and was told she'd receive her rebate via direct deposit on May 9th. She didn't get it. She called the IRS and the wait time was too long. So she called her tax agent and found out that since she opted to have the cost of preparing her taxes taken out of her stimulus rebate, her payment would come later than May 9th, and it would come in the form of a check and not direct deposit. Since she had three schedule Cs, her taxes cost over $500 to prepare. Rather than write a check for that, she thought it would be easier to just have it deducted from her rebate payment. Her H&R Block tax rep didn't tell her that this would delay her rebate payment. At the time she filed, her H&R Block rep didn't know this would be the case. Very frustrating. She now has to wait until the end of June for her rebate check to be mailed.
Do you think that applies for people who use turbo tax too? We used turbo tax and had the fee for the program deducted from our tax return. We should have had ours on the 9th too. Bummer if that is the case.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:25 PM

294 posts, read 1,086,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeaTexan View Post

The Stimulus Payment will not effect your 2008 Tax Return, you do not have to pay it back, i checked the IRS website and a few others and they all said the same thing.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
Do you think that applies for people who use turbo tax too? We used turbo tax and had the fee for the program deducted from our tax return. We should have had ours on the 9th too. Bummer if that is the case.
She had her cost to prepare her tax return deducted from her stimulus payment, not her tax refund. I've never used TurboTax so perhaps someone else could chime in. Sorry, I don't know.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:29 PM

294 posts, read 1,086,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
It all depends on your tax liability. I guess you technically only owed the government $600 last year instead of $900, so you only get $600. By owed, I don't mean "paid", since more than likely after tax credits, you got a refund. Next year however, your refund will be $600 less what you would of got because that $600 is NOT free money. It's your money, just given to you earlier. Treat it as such..

I'm not sure where you got you information, but you are wrong! The Stimulus Payment will not effect next years tax return, and you do not have to pay it back.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:47 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,089,231 times
Quote:
Here is a link to the IRS website that has information about the impact on next years' taxes. I believe your question will be answered about half way down the page.
Thanks...see I thought I read that on there weeks ago, but wasn't sure. They have alot of info about it, but it takes awhile to go through it all.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
She had her cost to prepare her tax return deducted from her stimulus payment, not her tax refund. I've never used TurboTax so perhaps someone else could chime in. Sorry, I don't know.
Sorry I misunderstood my neighbor. She had her tax preparer's fees taken out of her tax refund not her stimulus payment.

I found this:

Q. I chose direct deposit for my 2007 tax refund but also requested a refund anticipation loan (RAL) from my preparer. How does that affect my stimulus payment?

A. Taxpayers who use Refund Anticipation Loans (RALs) or enter into any other loans or financial agreements with a tax professional, such as agreeing to have return preparation fees deducted from their refunds, cannot receive their stimulus payments by direct deposit and instead will get paper checks based on the paper check distribution schedule.

source

Old 05-12-2008, 04:57 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
Great... I had my return prep fee deducted from my refund, so now instead of getting the refund on May 9th, I have to wait until mid-June?? That $600 isn't going to break my piggy bank, but that's still quite aggravating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics