Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 09:25 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Being an island nation, that is 98% homogeneous, with 6,000+ years of history and most if not all the people being "on the same page" doesn't hurt either, just saying!
Nonsense. Taiwan has a stellar pandemic response team that was aggressive and efficient from day one. Their president was open and honest about how dangerous this virus is from day one. When you have a liar at the top downplaying, gas lighting because there is no plan, and attacking the experts that contradict you? You have chaos and confusion. Joe average doesn't know what to think and who to believe. You don't have to be a person of color, white, or brown, to know that when an honest president comes out with this is bad, roll up your sleeves, wear a mask. That honest message resonates. If you politicize a pandemic, who gains? Those who want to see us divided and sick. Why would an American president do that to our country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2020, 09:48 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,283,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seww6 View Post
Living in Sweden, I can say this and you can take it for what it's worth;

1. No face masks whatsoever. No one is wearing it basically, no mandates to any stores or the likes. The gov't claims there are no studies that it actually works.
2. One of the highest mortality rates per capita in the world.
3. Our retirees suffered the most, no oxygen in the homes but sick people were given morphine, which made them suffocate.
4. Most places of business won't enforce social distancing rules.
5. Most people seem to not care.
6. The economy and healthcare was crap before COVID-19, and our neighbors are doing better, Norway, Finland, Denmark etc. Look at their total cases and deaths.

I traveled to the US in June/July, passing through Denmark.
What a difference. Face masks mandatory in Denmark and everywhere in the US. Sure people chose not to wear them 24/7, but most people do.

Why people seem to think Sweden handled this the right way, I do not understand.
However, I do believe it was the right thing not to shut down the country and put everybody in lockdown. I don't see how a gov't could tell me or anyone else, I'm not allowed to go outside, go to work, or anything like that. I was very surprised that passed in the US.

Anyways, that was my 2 cents, do with it what you wish.
Likely passed, because they knew a mandatory masks ordinance would have been difficult at that time. So they felt the better option was to close down, implement PPP, EIDL, and PUA funds, and let things cool off. What we didn't factor for was the time of season and people wanting to travel. Hence why the numbers and deaths steadily increase. Stay at home order isn't going to work in the summer months in the US.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:21 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Nonsense. Taiwan has a stellar pandemic response team that was aggressive and efficient from day one. Their president was open and honest about how dangerous this virus is from day one. When you have a liar at the top downplaying, gas lighting because there is no plan, and attacking the experts that contradict you? You have chaos and confusion. Joe average doesn't know what to think and who to believe. You don't have to be a person of color, white, or brown, to know that when an honest president comes out with this is bad, roll up your sleeves, wear a mask. That honest message resonates. If you politicize a pandemic, who gains? Those who want to see us divided and sick. Why would an American president do that to our country?
Obviously you hate Trump, I didn't vote for the guy, I vote for myself in every Presidential election, but that's for a later discussion. If a president/leader/dictator needs to hold your hand and baby you, there is no hope for whatever country you live in.

It's called common sense, either you have it or you don't and like the late, great George Carlin once said, "Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that."

I know you will disagree with my on this, and that's OK, but if Hillary was president, half the people in this country still wouldn't listen to her and we would have the same amount of cases and deaths. It's not the leadership, it's the citizens!

Old 07-31-2020, 10:24 AM

19,788 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Obviously you hate Trump, I didn't vote for the guy, I vote for myself in every Presidential election, but that's for a later discussion. If a president/leader/dictator needs to hold your hand and baby you, there is no hope for whatever country you live in.

It's called common sense, either you have it or you don't and like the late, great George Carlin once said, "Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that."

I know you will disagree with my on this, and that's OK, but if Hillary was president, half the people in this country still wouldn't listen to her and we would have the same amount of cases and deaths. It's not the leadership, it's the citizens!
Bingo.

Old 07-31-2020, 11:17 AM

4,903 posts, read 3,360,590 times
So these prolonged lockdowns didn't really achieve the desired results...

Old 07-31-2020, 12:05 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,430,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
So these prolonged lockdowns didn't really achieve the desired results...
What prolonged lockdowns? Because the situation I saw from one of the worst hot zones, was neighboring states staying open and poaching business and literally putting signs on the border mocking whether you wanted to go back or not.

Bars closed in your metro? Hop on the highway to our state and have a few!!

No, jumbled half assed economic and health measures weren’t effective. A real lockdown? Maybe.

Old 07-31-2020, 02:54 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seww6 View Post
Why people seem to think Sweden handled this the right way, I do not understand.
Politics. Simple and plain.

Just like that thread from mid-April where Oklazona Bound was trying to rationalize red/blue state responses and it blew up in his face by July, the disease and impact on society is secondary to the primary goal of trying to spin things politically to prove their team was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
My wife and kids were in quarantine in March in a quarantine hotel where I visited them daily after they returned from the U.S. so don't tell me about contact tracers.
I confess I'm not following you here. Your kids were in quarantine in Taiwan, therefore EDS_ should not be pointing out the fact Taiwan used contact tracers? Or is it something less specific where your kids where in quarantine therefore nobody should dare question your conclusions?

Either way, clearly there was a lot more going on than just masks in Taiwan, the fact your kids had a strict 14 day quarantine upon arriving is a perfect example.

Old 07-31-2020, 04:58 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
^I keep hearing people say what Sweden did was a "disaster" (or other variant of the word). Of course their demographics are very different from ours, but otherwise I'm genuinely curious: is there something I'm (we're) missing?
They had more deaths than their regional peers who locked down. They may have suffered less economically but they paid a price for that.

I'm starting to think that the March-April lockdowns were a bad idea. We did need to shut down crowd-oriented businesses. But Covid19 has too long of an incubation period to make hard lockdowns effective, nor economically or even psychologically feasible.

Old 07-31-2020, 07:42 PM

2,264 posts, read 971,995 times
Meanwhile here in Taiwan schools will be open and operating normally in September with all the kids, parents and staff wearing surgical face masks.

No drama. No dumbassery. No needless lockdowns.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:20 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,545,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
Being pansies about something as simple as wearing a face mask is what doomed Trump's presidency.

A+

Mentally Ill NPD and the US sycophants and enablers that follow him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics