U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2020, 04:37 PM

9,515 posts, read 4,750,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
A lot of transplants in NYC, and leaving, and moving back in with their parents back in the rural areas.

I think more homeless should do this if option is available, move in with parents.
When my lease was up several years ago I struck a deal with my daughter and moved into her garage. I pay about 800 a month total including other contributions. I could be giving this to some bloodsucking landlord but instead I keep it in the family.

It's the way to go.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2020, 05:05 PM

11,973 posts, read 6,221,460 times
Why is someone who charges money for using the property they own, maintain, pay taxes on, and possibly have a mortgage on = a bloodsucker? It's fairly common in our society to trade money for goods and services, it's weird a landlord is singled out and labelled a bloodsucker.

We should take it farther and label the old dude who owns the hardware shop a bloodsucker for making me pay for the hammer I bought. The cashier there is a bloodsucker for wanting the owner's money to work.

Old 08-01-2020, 05:43 PM

49,440 posts, read 22,736,200 times
There are a lot of people who are living on the edge because the only jobs they can find are low paying. Many of these jobs have disappeared and are unlikely to come back any time soon.

A year or so ago, I was reading a thread started by a woman asking for advice on living in her car. She was working three part-time jobs, her car needed $500 worth of repairs, and she missed several shifts due to unreliable transportation.

She got behind on her rent and knew she was going to be evicted.

The advice that came in would break your heart. Posts on keeping her clothes sealed in plastic bins or else she would start to smell musty and would likely lose her retail job. Advice on safe places to park and where she could take a "wash cloth bath." What to watch out for. ...

I was stunned that so many hard working people were living like this.

Sounds like more will be joining their ranks.

Old 08-01-2020, 05:56 PM

49,440 posts, read 22,736,200 times
As to moving home with the folks, for many that isn't even an option.

Old 08-01-2020, 06:00 PM

7,350 posts, read 3,586,522 times
Enlighten me please. Since Trump took office, things were great......until covid. I don`t understand. Jobs are out there. You may have to work up too good paying jobs....but It can be done....with hard work. Alot of people do not have high paying jobs....the secert is not to squander what you make....on starbucks, fast food, ect. You get where I am going. Young people today....live for today.

Old 08-01-2020, 06:08 PM

3,453 posts, read 1,322,605 times
I'm not unsympathetic - but I've tried to figure how with 17 million jobless people, 70% earning more now than before, 30% of working age adults still living at home, and assuming at least SOME PEOPLE save up money and at least SOME PEOPLE aren't renters or being evicted any time soon... And yet - we still speculate at 43 million. Seems ... like a lot. If they ALL got evicted, and they ALL had two children, that seems...unlikely. How's it pan out? Anyone got math? I don't doubt the sentiment is true, and that folks are suffering, and in danger of losing their residence - no question. 43 million seems high.

Old 08-01-2020, 06:19 PM

9,633 posts, read 6,470,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
So you missed the entirety of the CARES act then?
I think the OP is referring to the inevitable that will come with a high unemployment rate left by the virus, CARES act or not. CARES Act is a temporary support, which it's meant to be. Like the last one. But temporary programs end, and the businesses that closed permanently are probably gone for good, until new ones spring up in their place. That will take time and money.

It's inevitable what will happen to people with this recession, after the temporary support ends. Homelessness is going to increase a lot. A whole lot.

Homelessness and extreme poverty started increasing in the Great Recession in 2008, and continued to increase, in some areas as much as 40%.

Old 08-01-2020, 07:00 PM

5,778 posts, read 3,903,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I think the OP is referring to the inevitable that will come with a high unemployment rate left by the virus, CARES act or not. CARES Act is a temporary support, which it's meant to be. Like the last one. But temporary programs end, and the businesses that closed permanently are probably gone for good, until new ones spring up in their place. That will take time and money.

It's inevitable what will happen to people with this recession, after the temporary support ends. Homelessness is going to increase a lot. A whole lot.

Homelessness and extreme poverty started increasing in the Great Recession in 2008, and continued to increase, in some areas as much as 40%.
What? My post wasn’t in response to the OP. It was directly to the person saying that the government doesn’t care about individuals and only does things to help the corporations.

I was asking if they missed the CARES act, which had provision after provision to help individuals. You know, like federal student loan freezes, $1200 stimulus payments to huge amounts of individuals, $500 for each child, $600 a week in supplemental unemployment, expansion of the hardship 401k withdrawal, delay of federal taxes due and filing, small business loans to keep people employed, etc etc.

Not to mention all of the SALT support provided which helps stakeholders in localities. And that corporate help is also helping the people. Aka the stakeholders of the corporations. So for example, maybe that KODAK loan will help keep people employed, maybe making more pharmaceuticals here will help people avoid shocks to their supply from “chhhhinnnaaahhh”.

Obviously homelessness is going to increase. This is the greatest economic collapse since the Great Depression and I never thought I’d have to say that again after living through 2008 in one of the hardest hit cities and states during the Great Recession.

And we ain’t seen nothing yet in the support that’s coming from the government and the suffering to come.

Last edited by Thatsright19; 08-01-2020 at 07:13 PM..

Old 08-01-2020, 07:17 PM

9,539 posts, read 6,324,054 times
I say let it crash. Let the evictions happen.

In a perverse way, I kind of want to see what a modern day Great Depression looks like, and whether we'll handle it as well as they did then.

Have to laugh at the people complaining about "our enemy China." LOL! When has China ever threatened the United States? I feel like people want to anyone other than themselves and our sh**tty government that we ourselves vote for.

If America was so great it would have handled the virus. Let me remind everyone of a statement made by a very stable genius:

Quote:
Leadership: Whatever happens, you're responsible. If it doesn't happen, you're responsible.
11:01 AM · Nov 8, 2013
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...302091776?s=20

Last edited by redguard57; 08-01-2020 at 07:30 PM..

Old 08-01-2020, 07:22 PM

156 posts, read 83,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Rural means spread out. No one place should be overwhelmed. They are just going back to where they come from. So these places have had to deal with the numbers. Their parents can support them and maybe take over the farm.
Spread out doesn't mean anything. There's already a rural housing crisis out there right now. And being spread out doesn't change the fact that their infrastructure is weak, their hospitals are few and far between, and jobs and public transportation are almost nonexistent in any of those places, so they'll be commuting insane miles back to the cities for work - again crushing all of those rural roads. A ton of people moving there is going to overwhelm their roads, their electricity, their water, food, their medical care, plus they're almost all going to be unemployed because they're nowhere near any jobs. This **** show is going to happen to each and every one of those small towns out there. Worse so because they are so spread out.

And then when they can't find jobs they're going to drain their parents' savings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics