U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-01-2020, 07:27 PM
 
5,782 posts, read 3,898,869 times
Reputation: 13033

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I say let it crash. Let the evictions happen.

In a perverse way, I kind of want to see what a modern day Great Depression looks like.

Have to laugh at the people complaining about "our enemy China." LOL! When has China ever threatened the United States? I feel like people want to anyone other than themselves and our sh**tty government that we ourselves vote for.
Why would you want to see a modern day Great Depression?

And secondly, we already saw a modern day Great Depression in select areas during 2008.

You’d also have to be living under a rock to not see how China is an adversary. They’ve specifically been labeled as such by the U.S government. There’s numerous examples of them taking aim at American hegemony from the AIIB (direct shot at u.s led world bank and imf institutions) ...to the new Silk Road initiative (“While some superpowers are concerned with building walls, China is building bridges literally and figuratively”), to stealing technology and spying, to the report their central bank put out in 2009 (about the triffen dilemma), to taking aim at the petro dollar with Iran. China is basically the heir to the Soviet Union as a great power threat and the United States has already shifted many military assets to the Asia pacific.

Last edited by Thatsright19; 08-01-2020 at 08:05 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-01-2020, 07:33 PM
 
17,501 posts, read 24,246,360 times
Reputation: 19304
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobHunter2018 View Post
Source.

How many police and military do we have in this country? There's no way we can handle a brand new homeless wave of 10% that size.

If the "no free ride" / "gubmint welfare is evil" people get their way we're headed into a total economic collapse - or worse.



Look, so far, the ONLY tangible result of lockdown is not disease prevention. Disease keeps doing what it wants, no matter how many muzzles you cover your face with or sit at home, barricaded.
The ONLY result is economical collapse.

Now, to presume, that folks that did this, are dumb dumbs and don't know, that that will happen, is silly.

This collapse was intended and we are at the very first steps of it.

It was supposed to take 8 years and, COVID came handy and reduced it by 4, accelerating collapse of the old system and preparing foundation for the new one.

So sit tight, nothing you can do about it, get ready for digital concentration camp and digital money - after years of economy depression so big, that the Great ONE will be remembered as pleasant resort.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2020, 07:36 PM
 
5,782 posts, read 3,898,869 times
Reputation: 13033
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Look, so far, the ONLY tangible result of lockdown is not disease prevention. Disease keeps doing what it wants, no matter how many muzzles you cover your face with or sit at home, barricaded.
The ONLY result is economical collapse.

Now, to presume, that folks that did this, are dumb dumbs and don't know, that that will happen, is silly.

This collapse was intended and we are at the very first steps of it.

It was supposed to take 8 years and, COVID came handy and reduced it by 4, accelerating collapse of the old system and preparing foundation for the new one.

So sit tight, nothing you can do about it, get ready for digital concentration camp and digital money - after years of economy depression so big, that the Great ONE will be remembered as pleasant resort.
Care to elaborate? What was supposed to take 8 years? This collapse was intended by who? Why would they need a collapse to shift to digital money? Why would collapsing the strongest economic system in history be done to “put in a new one”? Hell, even post ww2 you could argue there was monumental shifts in global system from the original bretton woods, then post 1971, and then I would argue post 2008 (where USD hegemony was leaned on to previously inconceivable levels).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2020, 07:46 PM
 
16,256 posts, read 14,738,607 times
Reputation: 14645
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post

Homelessness and extreme poverty started increasing in the Great Recession in 2008, and continued to increase, in some areas as much as 40%.


That's simply not the case. Please don't post feelings and whimsy as fact.

Nominal homelessness was down consistently per year since around 2010. As a percentage of population even more so.

Further, poverty and extreme poverty have been down consistently since 2010.

Finally, there is very little true extreme poverty in The US. As in we have likely far less than 1% who live in absolute deprivation (absolute deprivation - stunted growth, starvation deaths etc.). What we have are huge swaths of Americans who live in relative deprivation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2020, 07:46 PM
 
8,728 posts, read 6,765,046 times
Reputation: 12581
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobHunter2018 View Post
Source.

How many police and military do we have in this country? There's no way we can handle a brand new homeless wave of 10% that size.

If the "no free ride" / "gubmint welfare is evil" people get their way we're headed into a total economic collapse - or worse.
I know it is BS when the prime example they give is;

"Shamika Rollins' eight children share two bedrooms in Richmond, Virginia. But she's worried about losing their home after she says she received an eviction notice in June.

"First thing, I panic, and then next thing, I look, and I'm like, I got my kids. And it's like, okay, now you gotta figure this out," she told CBS News correspondent Adriana Diaz.

She was behind on rent before the pandemic."


Eight kids, a two bedroom place, and was already behind on rent, even after family forked over $8k.

Yea, one hell of an example to link to the virus, lol.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2020, 07:53 PM
 
5,782 posts, read 3,898,869 times
Reputation: 13033
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I know it is BS when the prime example they give is;

"Shamika Rollins' eight children share two bedrooms in Richmond, Virginia. But she's worried about losing their home after she says she received an eviction notice in June.

"First thing, I panic, and then next thing, I look, and I'm like, I got my kids. And it's like, okay, now you gotta figure this out," she told CBS News correspondent Adriana Diaz.

She was behind on rent before the pandemic."


Eight kids, a two bedroom place, and was already behind on rent, even after family forked over $8k.

Yea, one hell of an example to link to the virus, lol.
Honestly, I assume articles like this are specifically written as propaganda pieces to fuel anger and derision. It’s like there’s real people suffering from covid and they pick the most egregious, ridiculous example and push it. It’s like a fake article feigning support but it’s really designed as a work against the topic it claims to support.

It’s absolute garbage. Pure Propaganda. I literally don’t even believe it.

Last edited by Thatsright19; 08-01-2020 at 08:03 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2020, 08:16 PM
 
7,413 posts, read 10,307,939 times
Reputation: 9763
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I say let it crash. Let the evictions happen.

In a perverse way, I kind of want to see what a modern day Great Depression looks like, and whether we'll handle it as well as they did then.

Have to laugh at the people complaining about "our enemy China." LOL! When has China ever threatened the United States? I feel like people want to anyone other than themselves and our sh**tty government that we ourselves vote for.

If America was so great it would have handled the virus. Let me remind everyone of a statement made by a very stable genius:
It's interesting you mention the virus, the same virus that China gave us. It's not the first time. They also gave us SARS, the Asian flu, and H7N9 previously. Unless you are a wu mao dang working for the CCP or one of the corrupted Americans being paid to attack the US, it's not hard to see why people all over the world blame the CCP.

Last edited by davidt1; 08-01-2020 at 08:54 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2020, 08:33 PM
 
5,782 posts, read 3,898,869 times
Reputation: 13033
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
It's interesting you mention the virus, the same virus that China gave us. It's not the first time. They also gave us SARS and the swine virus previously. Unless you are a wu mao dang working for the CCP or one of the corrupted Americans being paid to attack the US, it's not hard to see why people all over the world blame the CCP.
China is also one of the three most common theories (none proved) for the origin of the Spanish flu in 1919 as well. 100,000 Chinese laborers were brought to France to dig trenches on the front lines of ww1.

The Black Death in Europe is also linked to China.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2020, 08:52 PM
 
7,413 posts, read 10,307,939 times
Reputation: 9763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
China is also one of the three most common theories (none proved) for the origin of the Spanish flu in 1919 as well. 100,000 Chinese laborers were brought to France to dig trenches on the front lines of ww1.

The Black Death in Europe is also linked to China.
I stand corrected on the swine virus coming from China.

https://www.realclearscience.com/blo..._in_china.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2020, 08:53 PM
 
5,782 posts, read 3,898,869 times
Reputation: 13033
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I stand corrected on the swine virus coming from China. I don't know why you are bringing up the Spanish flu and the Black Death now. According this Article, those were not mentioned as coming from China.

https://www.realclearscience.com/blo..._in_china.html
I brought it up because you said it wasn’t the first time for China. You then gave examples...and I provided other potential examples.

I’m not sure how that’s hard to understand.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top