U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 10:13 AM

22,147 posts, read 30,429,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samlarson View Post
The March was just the beginning. The first shock. I think aftershock will come later this year when some of the biggest companies start to lay off employees and this will set start to the series of horrible economical events
Which just means that the vast amount of those “waiting for the market to cool off” people will once again be shut out of the market. Unless you got a lot of money, a really secure job, income and credit most buyers won’t be buying in either a hot or cold market. Simply because when the economy dumps they are riding that same boat down the rapids. Now granted this doesn’t mean that everybody will be unable to buy. While most people may want to buy they will need to qualify for a loan. Given that banks will most likely only give loans to the highest income job credits having a job income credit that was ok in past may not be good enough in the current economy.

Nobody really knows what’s gonna happen. The economy could spring back slowly. It could come back fast if a vaccine is found.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2020, 11:53 AM

7,800 posts, read 2,984,830 times
I've purchased several homes and have refinanced multiple times since purchasing my first home in 1985. I just refinanced a month or so ago. Submitted an online inquiry on June 25 and settled 10 days later. Zero cash out of my pocket, no appraisal, 2.75% APR for 30 years. By far the easiest home financing process I've ever been through.

Old 08-08-2020, 01:29 PM

25,465 posts, read 19,564,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Retail banks are difficult, but of course if you go to somewhere like a mortgage broker, they then immediately sell your loan to the same banks where you wouldn’t have been able to get the loan in the first place. That is what happened to me. I tried to get a loan through my bank and couldn’t get the terms I wanted. I went through a broker, who then sold it to one of the other big banks.
Part of the process of the big banks picking up the loans after closing is to service them and pick up the servicing fees. Often times if terms are followed the loans are backed by Fannie/Freddie so the risk is not in the banks books and thus a big bank servicing you loan isn’t the same as them underwriting it

Old 08-13-2020, 03:13 PM

36,101 posts, read 42,587,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I cant even talk to my banker. There is a line out the freaking door with 2hr wait times. Banker wont answer my emails or phone or text.
How odd. We just went into a bank yesterday and opened a new account. We did have to wait, for about 2 minutes. And we also called and talked to them on the phone. I think you need to change banks.

Old 08-13-2020, 03:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
40,757 posts, read 72,783,104 times
Nearly every day I get mail, email, even texts from banks and credit unions that I have accounts with offering me unsecured personal loans, new car loans, and offering me a refi to save $200/month on the mortgage. I haven't used any of them, and pre-approved is not a lock, but they seen to be anxious for new loans.

Old 08-15-2020, 04:18 PM

6,401 posts, read 1,640,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Nearly every day I get mail, email, even texts from banks and credit unions that I have accounts with offering me unsecured personal loans, new car loans, and offering me a refi to save $200/month on the mortgage. I haven't used any of them, and pre-approved is not a lock, but they seen to be anxious for new loans.
Chase sent me an email the other day offering me a car loan. Um....did you forget the part where I got a car loan with you 4 months ago? Surely you can tell that I'm not likely to buy another car for a long time?

Old 08-15-2020, 05:14 PM

22,147 posts, read 30,429,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Chase sent me an email the other day offering me a car loan. Um....did you forget the part where I got a car loan with you 4 months ago? Surely you can tell that I'm not likely to buy another car for a long time?
It’s just a mass mailer. I used to get offers from Time Warner all the time. The last time it was a combo deal for like $90. So I called. I was paying $150. I couldn’t get the deal. “Only new customers” ok cool let me cancel my account,

Old 08-15-2020, 05:36 PM

8,966 posts, read 15,750,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
It’s just a mass mailer. I used to get offers from Time Warner all the time. The last time it was a combo deal for like $90. So I called. I was paying $150. I couldn’t get the deal. “Only new customers” ok cool let me cancel my account,
Commercial was offering Direct TV for half of what I was paying. I called them up and told them I was canceling. When they said it was only for new customers, I said cancel my account I can get it cheaper with X company. They cut my bill in half for a year. Did same with XM radio.

Old 08-16-2020, 08:44 AM

6,401 posts, read 1,640,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Yeah I suppose I expected Chase's systems to be intelligent enough not to advertise car loans to people who took one out in the past, oh, I don't know, 6 months WITH THEM. Oh let me check your file - did you take out a car loan in the past 6 months? Okay let me take you off the car loan spam mailing list. Maybe not....since they can't even process online bill payments on weekends.

Old 08-16-2020, 08:47 AM

65,101 posts, read 54,768,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Commercial was offering Direct TV for half of what I was paying. I called them up and told them I was canceling. When they said it was only for new customers, I said cancel my account I can get it cheaper with X company. They cut my bill in half for a year. Did same with XM radio.
This reminds me of when my husband was paying for the NFL Ticket on DirecTv. We decided to cancel it, but when we called, they said we "couldn't" cancel it because it was a five year contract (meanwhile, our new customer neighbors were getting the NFL Ticket for free for three years). So we just canceled DirecTv completely - there was no "five year contract" with anything, but especially that stupid NFL Ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics