Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 10:29 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,407,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Answering a question with another question when you have no answer. Your primary deflection strategy.
Possibly. Also can't persuade someone to testify against themselves. So he's got a point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2020, 02:38 AM

1,957 posts, read 1,291,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Another thread about minimum wage? Supposn, you seem to be obsessed with the [i.e. minimum wage rate] topic! ... If you want to invest in the future, put your money into robotics. It's the next big growth industry.
Blisterpeanuts, due to our current policy of seeking free trade, I believe that a substantial portion of robotic devices and their components used in the USA, will be imported into our nation. That’s based upon my second economic obsession; the improved trade policy proposal described within Wikipedia’s “Import Certificates” article is superior to all trade policies, (including free-trade policies) proposed for any trade deficit nation.

[The unilateral policy is only recommended to Nations that are otherwise trade deficit nations. If USA, the nation of greatest annual trade deficits adopted that species of Import Certificate policy, it would economically benefit from it to a greater extent than it could benefit any nation of lesser annual trade deficits].

I have no reason to believe any nation, within my lifetime would adopt this superior trade policy. But similar to other government policies, once one nation adopts the policy, other nations will perceive and follow the successful example.
Due to our current policy of seeking free trade, I believe that a substantial portion of robotic devices and their components used in the USA, will be imported into our nation. Respectfully, Supposn

Old 08-07-2020, 08:43 AM

22,622 posts, read 24,466,288 times
Automation is a better way for many businesses to do things, it cannot be stopped.

CNC manufacturing of many different items is revolutionary. So many steps in the manufacturing process have been eliminated by machines that "employ" very sophisticated software, cutting-out many humans in the process.

Old 08-07-2020, 09:11 AM

1,957 posts, read 1,291,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
If a higher minimum wage isn’t enacted, it would mean that the USA is no longer a democratic republic?

You’ve really gone off the deep end. . .
TaxPhd, you quoted my words, and then presumed to rephrase them and change their meaning? I hope you didn’t deliberately intend to do so.

“If a higher minimum wage isn’t enacted”, meaning differs from “If something completely contrary to that expectation should occur”.
Respectfully, Supposn

Old 08-07-2020, 09:11 AM

2,916 posts, read 2,986,004 times
What happens when some tech mogul is able to create an AI platform that can make better decisions than C-level execs, board members etc?

Who needs all these high paid "leaders" when I can just input some data into a computer and come up with the optimal decision? I'm guessing only then will automation become a problem. Maybe we can throw out the bums in Congress lol!

Old 08-07-2020, 09:34 AM

10,511 posts, read 5,563,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
TaxPhd, you quoted my words, and then presumed to rephrase them and change their meaning? I hope you didn’t deliberately intend to do so.
I haven’t changed the meaning of anything. If you intended to say something different, you should have used different words.

Quote:
“If a higher minimum wage isn’t enacted”, meaning differs from “If something completely contrary to that expectation should occur”.
Respectfully, Supposn
Unless you are expecting a lower minimum wage to be enacted, which I’m sure you’re not, my conclusion is 100% correct.

You’ve completely gone off the deep end...

Old 08-07-2020, 11:15 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,715,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
Blisterpeanuts, due to our current policy of seeking free trade, I believe that a substantial portion of robotic devices and their components used in the USA, will be imported into our nation. That’s based upon my second economic obsession; the improved trade policy proposal described within Wikipedia’s “Import Certificates” article is superior to all trade policies, (including free-trade policies) proposed for any trade deficit nation.

[The unilateral policy is only recommended to Nations that are otherwise trade deficit nations. If USA, the nation of greatest annual trade deficits adopted that species of Import Certificate policy, it would economically benefit from it to a greater extent than it could benefit any nation of lesser annual trade deficits].

I have no reason to believe any nation, within my lifetime would adopt this superior trade policy. But similar to other government policies, once one nation adopts the policy, other nations will perceive and follow the successful example.
Due to our current policy of seeking free trade, I believe that a substantial portion of robotic devices and their components used in the USA, will be imported into our nation. Respectfully, Supposn
The pay of the common soldier is also reduced to a minimum — determined purely by the production costs necessary to procure him. But he exchanges the performance of his services not for capital, but for the revenue of the state.
In bourgeois society itself, all exchange of personal services for revenue — including labour for personal consumption, cooking, sewing etc., garden work etc., up to and including all of the unproductive classes, civil servants, physicians, lawyers, scholars etc. — belongs under this rubric, within this category. All menial servants etc. By means of their services — often coerced — all these workers, from the least to the highest, obtain for themselves a share of the surplus product, of the capitalist’s revenue.
But it does not occur to anyone to think that by means of the exchange of his revenue for such services, i.e. through private consumption, the capitalist posits himself as capitalist. Rather, he thereby spends the fruits of his capital. It does not change the nature of the relation that the proportions in which revenue is exchanged for this kind of living labour are themselves determined by the general laws of production.

Marx, The Grundrisse (1857)

Old 08-07-2020, 08:36 PM

30,000 posts, read 11,586,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
If a higher minimum wage isn’t enacted, it would mean that the USA is no longer a democratic republic?

You’ve really gone off the deep end. . .

Wage controls seem pretty undemocratic to me.

Old 08-07-2020, 09:51 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,331,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobHunter2018 View Post
Automation was happening on the plantation when they had slaves who were paid nothing. Cotton gin, anyone?

Wages don't affect automation. Not even close.
Rising wages encourages investing in automation - very closely tied.

Old 08-07-2020, 10:09 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,331,722 times
90% of the posts in this thread appear to be written by idiots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics