U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-31-2020, 12:54 PM
 
Location: Niceville, FL
12,372 posts, read 20,822,117 times
Reputation: 15275

Advertisements

I'd prefer some sort of hybrid system that admits that the free markets are really good in some sectors at maximizing benefits to both producers and consumers and really horrible in other areas. So maximize free market trade between countries to let us reach a global peak efficiency points in things like heavy manufacturing or commodities production and then socialize other areas like health care where maximizing profits doesn't account for some pretty huge externalities like, hey, it's better for grandma to be able to afford her insulin than for the pharma company to have the right to increase 5X on the drug in one year.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-31-2020, 03:01 PM
 
16,385 posts, read 14,830,360 times
Reputation: 14776
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I'd prefer some sort of hybrid system that admits that the free markets are really good in some sectors at maximizing benefits to both producers and consumers and really horrible in other areas. So maximize free market trade between countries to let us reach a global peak efficiency points in things like heavy manufacturing or commodities production and then socialize other areas like health care where maximizing profits doesn't account for some pretty huge externalities like, hey, it's better for grandma to be able to afford her insulin than for the pharma company to have the right to increase 5X on the drug in one year.
If we remove the profit motive who/what entities will to take the risks necessary for pharma breakthroughs as but one example.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2020, 03:32 PM
 
Location: WashiZona
3,041 posts, read 2,424,459 times
Reputation: 5858
China doesn't like it when Trump stands firm on changing trade policy to favor the U.S.

Got It.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2020, 10:16 AM
 
Location: Niceville, FL
12,372 posts, read 20,822,117 times
Reputation: 15275
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
If we remove the profit motive who/what entities will to take the risks necessary for pharma breakthroughs as but one example.
Lots of research one institutions do the same things and in fact their research often lays the groundwork for what for-profit pharma does.

There's also a disconnect in America in terms of development of drugs that the company will bring in the most money compared to what will do the greatest good. We need to be doing more to develop antibiotics that common bacteria hasn't developed a resistance to (it's a huge public health issue) but that's somewhat stalled out because the perceived profit margins for mass market antibiotics are lower than the projected profit margins for a next generation male disfunction treatment.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2020, 10:35 AM
 
16,385 posts, read 14,830,360 times
Reputation: 14776
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Lots of research one institutions do the same things and in fact their research often lays the groundwork for what for-profit pharma does.

There's also a disconnect in America in terms of development of drugs that the company will bring in the most money compared to what will do the greatest good. We need to be doing more to develop antibiotics that common bacteria hasn't developed a resistance to (it's a huge public health issue) but that's somewhat stalled out because the perceived profit margins for mass market antibiotics are lower than the projected profit margins for a next generation male disfunction treatment.
I texted my son, he's an MD with two first line research authorships and two seocnd line, although to be clear his research topics have little to do with antibiotics. He says there are at least 125 new antibiotics in the product funnel with around 40 in clinical development.

Big pharma often funds university based research.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:05 AM.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top