Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2020, 11:14 PM

10,304 posts, read 13,837,207 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but I've never been in this position. I had a vacation booked with a tour company for 2020. The tour didn't run for obvious reasons and I was given the opportunity (and took it) to postpone to 2021. I have been debating canceling the trip and getting a refund as I worry about the company going under with continued travel restrictions. I don't currently have a balance on the credit card I used as I paid it off before all of the COVID issues got severe thinking I was going to go on the trip. I currently have a zero balance on my credit card. If I get a refund for the trip where would that money go? How does that work for a zero balance? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question but I've never been in this position before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2020, 11:16 PM

128,894 posts, read 11,919,090 times
It will show up as extra money/credit in your account. You can then ask the cc company to mail you a refund check.

Old 08-30-2020, 02:10 AM

20,467 posts, read 4,321,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
It will show up as extra money/credit in your account. You can then ask the cc company to mail you a refund check.
Or you can leave it on your account as a "payment". This will allow you to charge that amount without having to pay it back. Once used up your back to square one.

Old 08-30-2020, 02:59 AM

106,220 posts, read 108,214,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post
Or you can leave it on your account as a "payment". This will allow you to charge that amount without having to pay it back. Once used up your back to square one.
one problem that is reported happening is chase has been cancelling cards with no payments shown in 90 days .

many reported the robo system cancelled their cards for inactivity even though they had used their large credits to pay the bills .

many were not re-opened either ....if you have a large credit you are using , make a small payment every 3 months

Old 08-30-2020, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
one problem that is reported happening is chase has been cancelling cards with no payments shown in 90 days .

many reported the robo system cancelled their cards for inactivity even though they had used their large credits to pay the bills .

many were not re-opened either ....if you have a large credit you are using , make a small payment every 3 months
just for fun i tried to make a payment on one of my chase accounts with a credit balance .....you can't .....

so chase has to fix this robo issue .

Old 08-30-2020, 08:07 AM

5,824 posts, read 6,886,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I just went through this about a month ago. The cruise line refunded the three payments I had made as three separate credits. I then called the credit card company and asked them to mail me a check, which arrived in about a week. Pretty easy process.

Old 08-30-2020, 08:26 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,706,609 times
Quote:

Interesting, I just closed 2 Chase credit cards which have been inactive for more than 90 days.

OP, in normal time, they’ll send you a check, but lately Chase is not working normal, best to use the credit amount to pay for things. I’m finally used up my balance that AirBnB has refunded me.

Old 08-30-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Interesting, I just closed 2 Chase credit cards which have been inactive for more than 90 days.
but you closed them ... if you look at the chase sapphire reserve group on face book chase has been doing it and telling them it is because they have no payment activity in 90 days .

yet you can't make the payment when you have a credit balance with no open amounts pending at the least . i just tried it .

Old 08-30-2020, 08:35 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,706,609 times
Quote:
but you closed them ... if you look at the chase sapphire reserve group on face book chase has been doing it and telling them it is because they have no payment activity in 90 days .

yet you can't make the payment when you have a credit balance with no open amounts pending at the least . i just tried it .
What I meant was Chase didn’t close on me, I did because I don’t want to pay $95 annual fee.

Why would you want to make a payment when you have a credit balance?

Old 08-30-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
What I meant was Chase didn’t close on me, I did because I don’t want to pay $95 annual fee.

Why would you want to make a payment when you have a credit balance?
you wouldn't . but chases robo system has been programmed to start to close inactive credit cards ....

but they did it mistakenly off not seeing a payment made . it should be off not seeing a charge

many can not get chase to reverse the decision even though they are drawing down huge trip credits.

seems to me someone at the top messed up .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics