Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 08:05 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,522,104 times

Advertisements

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/31/the-...-your-pay.html

- it is a tax deferral. the 6.2% tax employees pay toward Social Security from Sept. 1 until Dec. 31 must be repaid by apr 30 next year, which means smaller paychecks.

Quote:
The Social Security tax is subject to an annually adjusted wage cap ($137,700 in 2020), but the Medicare tax is assessed beyond that threshold.
I believe this means for high earners, this won't affect them as they would've already paid all SS taxes at this point (e.g. you've already seen your paycheck increase, as soon as you've passed this threshold).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2020, 02:22 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,805,915 times
This is a mess. The least they could have done is treated everyone the same (low income and high income). This current treatment creates an unnecessary burden for employers.

Old 09-02-2020, 02:36 AM

10,608 posts, read 12,113,548 times
Where are congressional Democrats on this?

I thought Trump didn’t have the power, even with an executive order, to implement this. Did anyone challenge this in court? And what does this mean for the Social Security fund?

Old 09-02-2020, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Where are congressional Democrats on this?

I thought Trump didn’t have the power, even with an executive order, to implement this. Did anyone challenge this in court? And what does this mean for the Social Security fund?
This doesn't impact the Social Security fund. The fund has enough money to cover a few months.

Old 09-02-2020, 06:51 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,187,363 times
What is means is not clear. On it's face, it is a tax deferral. But there are a number of ways to make it tax forgiveness, including one that President Trump can do on his own. Specifically, in terms of action that President Trump can take on his own, he can issue blanket pardons to anyone who has taken advantage of this deferral once the period ends (but it would only be backward not forward looking, which shouldn't be a problem), which would effectively make it tax forgiveness as people couldn't be prosecuted for failure to repay. But I don't think it'll even get to that point as I see no politician (not even Democrats) who are going to willingly let the middle class have a huge tax bill; it would be political suicide. Thus, I expect a legislative remedy at the very least.

As to @selhars' point, yes the president has the power to implement this as it fits squarely within enforcement discretion, which every president and elected executive official has generally.

Old 09-02-2020, 07:06 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,560,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
This doesn't impact the Social Security fund. The fund has enough money to cover a few months.
Of course, it does. Trump promises to eliminate the obligation to return the money. In the meantime, publicly held debt will increase more than if the operating surplus of Social Security had been allowed to continue. It's already showing up in the data.

Old 09-02-2020, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Of course, it does. Trump promises to eliminate the obligation to return the money. In the meantime, publicly held debt will increase more than if the operating surplus of Social Security had been allowed to continue. It's already showing up in the data.
The executive order is a temporary holiday with the obligation to pay the difference. It does not impact social security.

A promise doesn't mean anything.

Old 09-02-2020, 09:00 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,259,569 times
It's my understanding your employer can do this or not do this. It's not obligatory but gives you options to not be taxed now and pay it back later.

Old 09-02-2020, 10:19 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,202,977 times
Hoping my employer does not but they have not yet announced a plan.

Old 09-02-2020, 11:23 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
Hoping my employer does not but they have not yet announced a plan.
That's because without a guarantee this will be forgiven, guess who is on the hook if you quit before the repayment is due? ex-employer! Guess who will start quitting at the end of the year if Trump loses the election? A LOT of people.

Was this well thought out? No. Was it a good idea to choose a Manhattan condo salesman to run the country? Probably not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics