U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-25-2020, 08:25 PM
 
7,583 posts, read 2,768,773 times
Reputation: 5508

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
The Earth itself is a finite system and we are limited by its resources and capacity to absorb our wastes. But our solar system is a lot bigger than this little ball of dust. Others like Jeff Bezos envision one trillion humans living in the solar system by the year 2150. He said “The solar system can support a trillion humans, and then we'd have 1,000 Mozarts, and 1,000 Einsteins. Think how incredible and dynamic that civilisation will be."
Bezos watches too much Star Trek. There is no reason to think it's possible for humans to live anywhere except this planet.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-28-2020, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Flyover part of Virginia
3,041 posts, read 1,613,182 times
Reputation: 4187
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
The Earth itself is a finite system and we are limited by its resources and capacity to absorb our wastes. But our solar system is a lot bigger than this little ball of dust. Others like Jeff Bezos envision one trillion humans living in the solar system by the year 2150. He said “The solar system can support a trillion humans, and then we'd have 1,000 Mozarts, and 1,000 Einsteins. Think how incredible and dynamic that civilisation will be."
Techno-fantasism of the highest order. We can't even maintain our infrastructure and we're supposed to colonize space?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2020, 09:48 PM
 
30,399 posts, read 34,691,805 times
Reputation: 33399
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
I think its pretty obvious that earth isn't overpopulated. certain cities may be overpopulated but there is plenty of space available and plenty of resources available (they require a good system to ensure that they are harvested and distributed but they are there).

However, that isn't really related to this idea that we need growth. The reason why growth is needed in developed countries is because the economic system is designed to overspend today and place the burden of paying for it on future generations. its a very selfish system but it works until it doesn't (and we don't know when that happens) and politicians don't get bribed to reduce spending or ensure long term economic health.
Well said.

I believe there are more hidden agendas to both the points you bring up, but the above points are a good start.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2020, 09:50 PM
 
30,399 posts, read 34,691,805 times
Reputation: 33399
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Desire for a higher birthrate is like a pyramid scheme. We need more and more people in a “successful” country to pay off the debt and insurance.
The real pyramid scheme is the debt based money system. All new money created is always issued as debt. This whole system is designed to benefit an elite few.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2020, 05:35 AM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
33,115 posts, read 77,671,579 times
Reputation: 41454
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think its pretty obvious that earth isnt overpopulated.
certain cities may be overpopulated but..
I disagree on both points because of the semantics and frame of reference
that I prefer (aka reality) clearly shows the opposite. I don't believe there is ANYWHERE
on the entire planet that people WANT to live that isn't saturated with us already.

Quote:
...a very selfish system but it works until it doesn't (and we don't know when that happens)
Yeah we do. The metric is infrastructure saturation and we (the US) passed it some decades ago.
We already have too many regardless of their contribution capacity.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2020, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Orange County, CA
4,548 posts, read 2,963,972 times
Reputation: 2709
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think its pretty obvious that earth isnt overpopulated. certain cities may be overpopulated but there is plenty of space available and plenty of resources available (they require a good system to ensure that they are harvested and distributed but they are there).

however, that isnt really related to this idea that we need growth. the reason why growth is needed in developed countries is because the economic system is designed to overspend today and place the burden of paying for it on future generations. its a very selfish system but it works until it doesnt (and we dont know when that happens) and politicians dont get bribed to reduce spending or ensure long term economic health.
It's not just humans, but also the livestock/farm animals used to feed all those people.

Farm animals greatly outnumber not only humans but wildlife as well. Not to mention requiring lots of land to raise them.

One way to mitigate that is to have more people go vegetarian and especially vegan. But how realistic is that scenario?

But your second point regarding our debt-based ponzi scheme economy is the really the true issue...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2020, 04:05 PM
 
Location: NJ
31,771 posts, read 38,421,385 times
Reputation: 24549
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I disagree on both points because of the semantics and frame of reference
that I prefer (aka reality) clearly shows the opposite. I don't believe there is ANYWHERE
on the entire planet that people WANT to live that isn't saturated with us already.




Yeah we do. The metric is infrastructure saturation and we (the US) passed it some decades ago.
We already have too many regardless of their contribution capacity.
i think that is a very shaky premise.

im not sure how infrastructure saturation applies, could you explain it to me? thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2020, 04:48 AM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
33,115 posts, read 77,671,579 times
Reputation: 41454
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im not sure how infrastructure saturation applies, could you explain it to me? thanks.
You live in NY metro new jersey, right? Perhaps you're just inured to being overcrowded if you can't see it for yourself;
along with over expensive everything because of that. Or you like it. Or are just too young.
Too young to have any experience of a USA with 100 or 150 million fewer warm bodies.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2020, 07:52 AM
 
3,940 posts, read 2,048,646 times
Reputation: 8873
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You live in NY metro new jersey, right? Perhaps you're just inured to being overcrowded if you can't see it for yourself;
along with over expensive everything because of that. Or you like it. Or are just too young.
Too young to have any experience of a USA with 100 or 150 million fewer warm bodies.
Oh yes, I have fond memories of growing up in Colorado when the state population was ~ 1 million. In a word: paradise.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2020, 09:44 AM
 
Location: NJ
31,771 posts, read 38,421,385 times
Reputation: 24549
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You live in NY metro new jersey, right? Perhaps you're just inured to being overcrowded if you can't see it for yourself;
along with over expensive everything because of that. Or you like it. Or are just too young.
Too young to have any experience of a USA with 100 or 150 million fewer warm bodies.
my town isnt particularly crowded but if you go further away from the city it gets even less crowded. across america there is still tons of available space. i think it is very strange to believe that we couldnt sprawl out more into it. i see that you said that nobody wants to live there. i think that most people dont want to live in undeveloped areas. a lot of places in USA today were undesirable at some point and then some people moved there and developed it and then more people moved in and so on.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:11 PM.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top