U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2020, 03:53 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,363,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
The Silent Generation's response: "Why can't people just get along? What's this society coming to? Why is everything so complicated?"

Generation X's response: "Hello, does anyone know we're here? Remember there are more than two generations walking the planet right now. Have you forgotten we're here? You know, the folks who are trying to run things and keep the world ticking instead of trying to consume or overthrow everything in society."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_X
Generation X are the boomers' kids. They have never been ignored. They stay in touch with their parents more than the boomers did. Their kids are the boomers' grandkids.
Rate this post positively

Old 09-13-2020, 04:19 PM

1,154 posts, read 313,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Generation X are the boomers' kids. They have never been ignored. They stay in touch with their parents more than the boomers did. Their kids are the boomers' grandkids.
Many Gen X are the children of Boomers, but those of us born in the sixties and very early seventies, aka the Baby Busters, are more likely to be the children of Silents. I agree with Jowel that the world forgets we exist. It’s as if there are only two generations, the Boomers and the Millennials. My kids, who are older members of Gen Z, complain that they always get lumped in with the Millennials. I understand their frustration because Gen X similarly gets swept up into the Boomers.

As for the OP’s assertion that Millennials are plotting to separate Boomers from their money, I don’t see any evidence of that in the link. Maybe it’s further buried behind a paywall? Please come back and clarify, OP.

Last edited by abbottkd71; 09-13-2020 at 05:24 PM..

Old 09-13-2020, 04:19 PM

15,496 posts, read 14,389,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
The Silent Generation's response: "Why can't people just get along? What's this society coming to? Why is everything so complicated?"

Generation X's response: "Hello, does anyone know we're here? Remember there are more than two generations walking the planet right now. Have you forgotten we're here? You know, the folks who are trying to run things and keep the world ticking instead of trying to consume or overthrow everything in society."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_X
I rarely see anything about my generation - GenX. People seem to just complain about the boomers and millennials. Forget everyone else. My husband is also GenX and his parents weren't boomers. His parents were in the silent generation. In his family, that generation was the most challenging to deal with. Nothing seemed to make them happy and they complained about EVERYONE. Everyone else sucked it seemed like.

Old 09-13-2020, 04:23 PM

65,101 posts, read 54,709,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I believe millennials are either the largest US workforce ever or will soon become the largest. That certainly comes with influence
The Boomers were the largest ever US workforce too. And Boomer didn't "come after" their parents' wealth which was accumulated over a lifetime, just as the Boomers' is now.

Old 09-13-2020, 04:26 PM

65,101 posts, read 54,709,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbottkd71 View Post
Many Gen X are the children of Boomers, but those of us born in the sixties and very early seventies, aka the Baby Busters, are more likely to be the children of Silents. I agree with Jowel that the world forgets we exist. It’s as there are only two generations, the Boomers and the Millennials. My kids, who are older members of Gen Z, complain that they always get lumped in with the Millennials. I understand their frustration because Gen X similarly gets swept up into the Boomers.
I agree - born in the 60s, I am the child of Silent Generationers and am technically a Baby Boomer. My younger brothers are Gen Xers. My kids are Millennials. My grandkids are Gen Zers.

Old 09-13-2020, 04:44 PM

23,508 posts, read 17,611,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2BP View Post
Researchers at Deutsche Bank, one of the world’s leading financial service providers has some things to say about millennials.

In a report entitled the ‘Age of Disorder’, financial strategists led by Jim Reid suggests that as millennials attain greater levels of influence within governments and corporations they will redistribute wealth away from the older generation.
Not seeing it.

First, most of the wealth is not held by older people.

Second, the political clout of Millennials is grotesquely over-stated. Millennials will be competing, or more likely, trying to compete (and whining bitterly) with Generation X and Generation Z, who have vastly different views than Millennials.

I would suggest it will be Generation X and Z with the majority of the political power and that Boomers and Tweeners, who will be around through 2050, will be supporting them politically and not Millennials.

Old 09-13-2020, 05:22 PM

6,087 posts, read 4,092,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
They are ignored by media pundits who analyze boomer and millennial habits, trends, and preferences ad nauseum. That's how this was meant, not meant that they are ignored by their immediate family.

Old 09-13-2020, 05:24 PM

6,087 posts, read 4,092,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Second, the political clout of Millennials is grotesquely over-stated. Millennials will be competing, or more likely, trying to compete (and whining bitterly) with Generation X and Generation Z, who have vastly different views than Millennials.
What would distinguish Generation Z's views from Millennials in your opinion? And what about Generation X's? Interesting point and I'm curious to know what you think since you brought this up.

Old 09-13-2020, 05:36 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
40,722 posts, read 72,709,165 times
Unless the impossible happens and congress passes term limits, the boomers will remain in power until about 2054 when the youngest of them hit age 90. Well, maybe a few years sooner, but many of the leadership of the country such as Bernie Sanders, and Biden are from the “silent generation”, before boomers. Even Trump just made boomer by one year.
In the senate and congress the average age is 61.8 and 57.8. There are some as old as 87, still trying to make laws, and she started 28 years ago.

Old 09-13-2020, 06:13 PM

54,881 posts, read 76,551,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Well damn we just had someone in another thread complaining the boomers had ripped off the younger generations.

Right.

No need for this inter-generational troll thread.

Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.