U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2020, 05:35 PM

7,583 posts, read 2,769,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
You clearly have very little understanding of how the U.S got to its position, where it sits now, and how hard it would be to topple from this position.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox...bal-power-maps
You clearly have no understanding of what my understanding is.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2020, 05:46 PM

5,778 posts, read 3,902,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
You clearly have no understanding of what my understanding is.
If your last 5 or 6 topics on the same things the last few days is any indication, your understanding is terrible at best.

Old 09-27-2020, 06:02 PM

Quote:
If your last 5 or 6 topics on the same things the last few days is any indication, your understanding is terrible at best.
Well of course a communist would think that.

Old 09-27-2020, 06:05 PM

11,969 posts, read 6,218,922 times
Quote:
The only thing the US has going for it now is that the rest of the world is worse off.
Clearly you've never had really good Kansas City BBQ.

Quote:
Well of course a communist would think that.
Can you explain the link between adherence to communist ideology and the belief that you don't understand US dominance? I mean, sure the whole "communist" thing is thrown around way too much, but it's usually fired off (poorly) as a kneejerk response to someone who advocates liberal political positions. I'm bewildered as to how you're connecting it to a belief in US advantages versus other countries.

Old 09-27-2020, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post

Can you explain the link between adherence to communist ideology and the belief that you don't understand US dominance? I mean, sure the whole "communist" thing is thrown around way too much, but it's usually fired off (poorly) as a kneejerk response to someone who advocates liberal political positions. I'm bewildered as to how you're connecting it to a belief in US advantages versus other countries.
Lol I love the bbq quote.

None of the capitalism versus communism is fair anyways in my mind because the waters are all so muddied.

Our lead in science and technology was unmatched in world history. Not only was the U.S at the cutting edge on its own, but it got the entirety of British secrets and IP through the tizard mission. It also took over 1000 Nazi scientists with operation paperclip. It’s not common to be able to horde all of humanities knowledge like that under 1 country. So we had an enormous boost to the economy. Was that capitalism? Or was that winning a war and being the unwrecked power on earth calling the shots?

For example, does Cuba fail because it’s communist or because it made the mistake of rubbing its ass in the face of a global superpower in its own front lawn and thus it was cut off and opposed and forced to fail?

Do we know it’s communism that is an absolute failure and capitalism is great? Or is it just the U.S block had far more economic might in its side to begin with, and through Cold War imperialism we cut off and crushed everyone who chose the wrong side?

Hell, the capitalist system was even supported with the usd as the new gold. Do you have confidence in the leader of the free world? The Soviet Union was locked into a military spending battle that they couldn’t have possibly won when the USD was in absolute dominance.

Capitalism may just be the best. Or maybe it was just what was in the hands of the dominant global power that had a friendly transition from the last great empire (Britain) that also happened to have a like minded set of colonies that spoke our same language.

Maybe communism does suck. But do we know that for sure? Was it ever operating in a world where it wasn’t opposed at every turn by a force far more powerful than it?

To be honest, it’s hard to have an actual discussion about it that doesn’t basically revert to propaganda. Better dead than red. Communism bad. Capitalism great. There can’t even be a reasonable debate about the soviet unions contribution to WW2, where they literally caused 8/10 German casualties and went toe to toe with the German military for years...before the good old west opened up a second front....after the Russians were already barreling down on Berlin with absolute revenge on the mind.

Last edited by Thatsright19; 09-27-2020 at 06:37 PM..

Old 09-27-2020, 06:33 PM
Status: "US-Of-Boratistan, jumped-the-shark, call it a wrap!" (set 8 days ago)

21,351 posts, read 22,261,146 times
The system is hyper-manipulated via Fedgov.

If anyone thinks Fedgov can significantly pull-back on this manipulation, without an insane
economic-reaction..............HA!

Thus, ZIRP, for at least the next 10-years, is just a tiny piece of what lies ahead.

Old 09-27-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post

The link was between his comment that I don't know anything, and his previous comments showing he likes communism. You would have had to follow the conversation to understand.

Old 09-27-2020, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Lol I love the bbq quote.

None of the capitalism versus communism is fair anyways in my mind because the waters are all so muddied.

Our lead in science and technology was unmatched in world history. Not only was the U.S at the cutting edge on its own, but it got the entirety of British secrets and IP through the tizard mission. It also took over 1000 Nazi scientists with operation paperclip. It’s not common to be able to horde all of humanities knowledge like that under 1 country. So we had an enormous boost to the economy. Was that capitalism? Or was that winning a war and being the unwrecked power on earth calling the shots?

For example, does Cuba fail because it’s communist or because it made the mistake of rubbing its ass in the face of a global superpower in its own front lawn and thus it was cut off and opposed and forced to fail?

Do we know it’s communism that is an absolute failure and capitalism is great? Or is it just the U.S block had far more economic might in its side to begin with, and through Cold War imperialism we cut off and crushed everyone who chose the wrong side?

Hell, the capitalist system was even supported with the usd as the new gold. Do you have confidence in the leader of the free world? The Soviet Union was locked into a military spending battle that they couldn’t have possibly won when the USD was in absolute dominance.

Capitalism may just be the best. Or maybe it was just what was in the hands of the dominant global power that had a friendly transition from the last great empire (Britain) that also happened to have a like minded set of colonies that spoke our same language.

Maybe communism does suck. But do we know that for sure? Was it ever operating in a world where it wasn’t opposed at every turn by a force far more powerful than it?

To be honest, it’s hard to have an actual discussion about it that doesn’t basically revert to propaganda. Better dead than red. Communism bad. Capitalism great. There can’t even be a reasonable debate about the soviet unions contribution to WW2, where they literally caused 8/10 German casualties and went toe to toe with the German military for years...before the good old west opened up a second front....after the Russians were already barreling down on Berlin with absolute revenge on the mind.
The contemporary anti-capitalist narrative makes all those excuses. But every communist revolution ran into big problems early on, before the evil capitalists messed them up.

Another typical excuse is that each communist revolution was hijacked by a bad guy who was not truly a Marxist. That is BS. They were all devoted to Marx and tried valiantly to implement his nonsensical ideas.

Old 09-27-2020, 07:01 PM

Quote:
The contemporary anti-capitalist narrative makes all those excuses. But every communist revolution ran into big problems early on, before the evil capitalists messed them up.

Another typical excuse is that each communist revolution was hijacked by a bad guy who was not truly a Marxist. That is BS. They were all devoted to Marx and tried valiantly to implement his nonsensical ideas.
Did you really call me a supporter of communism in your previous post and say that I’m anti capitalist? That’s hilarious.

Old 09-27-2020, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Did you really call me a supporter of communism in your previous post and say that I’m anti capitalist? That’s hilarious.
I didn't call you that. I said the excuses you listed are typical of anti-capitalists. That doesn't mean you are one, just that you listed their typical excuses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics