Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 06:54 AM

4,141 posts, read 3,050,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
Elimination of the step-up in basis at death would be an administrative nightmare for taxpayers. How many have all of the records needed to establish basis in all of their assets that their heirs can easily access and make sense of after they've died?

If you're not able to provide evidence of basis, then your basis is $0 and you get taxed on gross proceeds from the sale of an asset.

Big win for the government and a provision certain to put the IRS and taxpayers in battles for years to come.
Yes, it would. By the time my dad died in 2014, my mother had dementia. My sister and I had to handle everything. We were both working full-time, too. My dad had box after box of financial records. They even had a box of Christmas cards and Thank You cards that had been sent to them. We could not find owner's manuals for the appliances, however. I could not begin to go through the financial records at the time. Also, what financial information dad had supplied to us years ago was out of date. My sister had known that but was afraid to bring up the subject. In our family, you had a better chance of talking about sex than finances.

In addition to a brokerage account, my dad also owned stocks directly from a few companies. Moving everything to his brokerage account was not easy. He had a dividend reinvestment plan for a couple of his stocks; good luck figuring out the basis on that. I refused to sell those stocks until mom died; avoiding the problem of basis value.

As far as taxing an estate at the original basis, this brings up the fundamental question of what should the government encourage as far as citizen behavior. Should the government encourage citizens to save and invest so that their children can have a better life, or should there be punitive estate taxes? In a country with punitive estate taxes, you might just as well spend your savings on hookers and blow. It's bad enough that I constantly see ads for the state lottery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2020, 07:20 AM

9,121 posts, read 6,174,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
He will raise taxes on people making about $85k.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ebauer/...ats-that-mean/
That's about the same income that triggers the supplemental Medicare monthly premium (income-related monthly adjustment amounts (IRMAA) ).

In 2020, individual seniors with a modified AGI of more than $87,000 pay an extra $57.80 per month for Medicare Part B. That's a total monthly premium of $144.60.

And now the income taxes will increase too.

Old 10-08-2020, 08:41 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
He will raise taxes on people making about $85k.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ebauer/...ats-that-mean/
I read the above referenced article and I'm not seeing it. Do you have another legitimate site?

Old 10-14-2020, 08:08 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times
Its always part of the sales job that tax increases will only hit the rich. Everyone pays taxes, so everyone will eventually see their taxes raised.

Old 10-14-2020, 08:57 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
what is income group? i wasnt aware that tax rates were determine by a % income group.

Old 10-15-2020, 07:54 PM

20,104 posts, read 9,011,934 times
the government is doing it's best to stop charitable giving.

Old 10-16-2020, 01:28 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
30 years ago, people were saying the same thing and here we are today. I bet 10 years from now, debt will be much higher and we will keep chugging along, business as usual.
Exactly.

What people don't realize is that national debt equals the money supply. There is no question of paying it off.

The question is the efficiency of the money supply.

To be sure, there are big problems there.

But tinkering around the edges with this quaint notion of taxes from the early 1900s, in the age of railroads and on the cusp of automobiles, in the 2000s in the age of instant information and telecommunications and on the cusp of other groundbreaking technologies is laughable at best.

And that's exactly what it is, laughable political theater.

Meanwhile, business as usual.

Old 10-18-2020, 06:50 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
Elimination of the step-up in basis at death would be an administrative nightmare for taxpayers. How many have all of the records needed to establish basis in all of their assets that their heirs can easily access and make sense of after they've died?

If you're not able to provide evidence of basis, then your basis is $0 and you get taxed on gross proceeds from the sale of an asset.

Big win for the government and a provision certain to put the IRS and taxpayers in battles for years to come.
No, nothing you said it wholly true. See: https://taxfoundation.org/step-up-in-basis/

Poor record keeping isn't a government's problem per se. Maybe for oldest of seniors and a few others keeping track of when they bought something and at what price *might* be an issue; but with modern technology it certainly doesn't have to be that way today.

Old 10-19-2020, 07:49 AM

2,747 posts, read 1,781,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
No, nothing you said it wholly true. See: https://taxfoundation.org/step-up-in-basis/

Poor record keeping isn't a government's problem per se. Maybe for oldest of seniors and a few others keeping track of when they bought something and at what price *might* be an issue; but with modern technology it certainly doesn't have to be that way today.
Not sure what you're gleaning out of this article but looks like it agrees with what I said. From the conclusion:

"Eliminating step-up in basis would also increase the compliance burden for heirs, who would have to verify the original cost basis of property upon a decedent’s death."

And the need for record keeping, poor or otherwise, is a government problem. The government is the architect of our voluntary compliance system. Increasing the cost or complexity of compliance reduces compliance.

Modern technology is irrelevant when it comes to tracking basis. It may help with covered securities in the stock market, but there are a whole host of assets that don't fall under this regime.

Old 10-19-2020, 09:05 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Well, I'm far from wealthy, and we pay more in taxes under Trump's plan than before it was implemented. Limiting things like deductions for property taxes and mortgage interest really screwed us.

Hey, but glad to see Trump only paid $750!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics