Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 02:41 PM

4,232 posts, read 2,454,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
The past is the past. It will never go back to those days. There is no way in hell I would ever be barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen. The days of women not being heard are over. The past wasn't great for many people. Why do people think the 50's were so great? Because bread cost a nickel?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
... you mean like in the old days when husbands kept their wives barefoot & pregnant?
Feminism/women's "empowerment" are a product of the cheap and abundant oil age- there's a reason why feminism and women's "empowerment" didn't gain significant traction in society until the 20th century. Once the oil age ends (and we're much closer to the end than we are to the middle) so will the age of feminism and women's empowerment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2020, 02:44 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Who is “we”? Are you including women or minorities in that?

Is the past ever returning in that the United States has 50% of world GDP and was the only unwrecked power on Earth? Doubtful.

However, I’m not even sure I’d agree the time period you reference was the height of American power. How about after the collapse of the Soviet Union when the U.S was the sole superpower? The “new Rome”.

I can say with certainty my life is incomparably better than my grandparents. Anecdote? Yes, but far from uncommon I’m sure. Especially if a woman was to ask that question of their own situation compared to their grandmother or great grandmother.

You say medical care was easier to access...but I’d sure as hell want today’s medical care over care in the times you mention. The difference could literally be between life and death.
Agreed 100%.

I would not want to go back to "the old days".

Old 10-25-2020, 02:53 PM

18,801 posts, read 8,465,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Agreed 100%.

I would not want to go back to "the old days".
I would have died around 2002, my wife 2004 from our medical/surgical problems.

Old 10-25-2020, 03:17 PM

1,766 posts, read 1,222,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
The past is the past. It will never go back to those days. There is no way in hell I would ever be barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen. The days of women not being heard are over. The past wasn't great for many people. Why do people think the 50's were so great? Because bread cost a nickel?
And what did you gain really as a modern women today? Instead of having a husband, your own family and kids, you are chasing some broken corporate dreams and when you come home your company is either a dog or you are alone drinking a bottle of some cheap wine. It’s so sad to see all those women today at the stop light fixing their hair and makeup, ruining for work and living such a stressful lifestyle.

Instead of being at home, being a wife and take care of the house and the kids you have been competing with Men and chasing career + broken corporate dreams. You are married and loyal to your job and carrier now and even if you manage to have your own family at home they probably don’t see you for the most part because you are this modern and carrier oriented women. Your kids are raised by strangers in a child care facility.

Honestly, you can only wish that lifestyle of 50’s and 60’s. Today, only the American elite can afford it while rest of you women need to go to work.

Old 10-25-2020, 03:23 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2BP View Post
And what did you gain really as a modern women today? Instead of having a husband, your own family and kids, you are chasing some broken corporate dreams and when you come home your company is either a dog or you are alone drinking a bottle of some cheap wine. It’s so sad to see all those women today at the stop light fixing their hair and makeup, ruining for work and living such a stressful lifestyle.

Instead of being at home, being a wife and take care of the house and the kids you have been competing with Men and chasing career + broken corporate dreams. You are married and loyal to your job and carrier now and even if you manage to have your own family at home they probably don’t see you for the most part because you are this modern and carrier oriented women. Your kids are raised by strangers in a child care facility.

Honestly, you can only wish that lifestyle of 50’s and 60’s. Today, only the American elite can afford it.
Speak for yourself! You know nothing about me. I do actually have a husband. I am not chasing any broken dreams or living corporately. I'm a small business owner. I don't drink alcohol nor do I return to an empty home in the evenings. Nice try. I'm not in to hairdos or makeup. You do realize that in the 1950's hairdos and makeup were a HUGE deal, right?

I was not put on this earth to be some man's slave. If that's the life you want, then you have at it, but it's not the life any of my female friends wish to have.

Not that it's any of your business, but I don't have children which wasn't my choice. Biology made that choice for me.

No, I do NOT wish I had the 1950's lifestyle. I'm not a servant. I am a human being. I do not wish to play Donna Reed. I want a career. I want to be educated. I do not want to depend on anyone else financially. In the 1950's, women were property. They couldn't own property. They couldn't open a checking account in their name. They couldn't have a credit card in their name. They couldn't have access to birth control. No thank you!

Old 10-25-2020, 03:24 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I would have died around 2002, my wife 2004 from our medical/surgical problems.
I would have died in 2018. I need several blood and iron transfusions to keep me alive and out of a coma. I'm only alive and well due to a surgery that didn't even exist in the 1950's or 1960's.

Old 10-25-2020, 03:45 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,789,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2BP View Post
Instead of having a husband, your own family and kids, you are chasing some broken corporate dreams and when you come home your company is either a dog or you are alone drinking a bottle of some cheap wine.
Speak for yourself. Even as a man, I have no desire whatsoever to return home to a family and kids. I like my empty home and cheap wine just fine. I have no desire to weigh myself down with a wife, 2.2 kids, and the burden of the sole economic provider of my household (of more than one - this is an acceptable tradeoff if I'm the sole member of my household).

The 50s also saw segregation and McCarthyism and random bouts of xenophobia and mass hysteria.

Also, short answer: No, the past is never, ever, EVER coming back. We can only move forward.

Old 10-25-2020, 04:01 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
My first mortgage rate in 1982 was 16%.

I hope we don't go back to those days.
Thats so insane to think about! I just re-fied at 2.7% on a 30 yr loan. I just ran the math and my monthly mortgage would be over $7k at that rate! Its like 3.5 X what I pay now.

Old 10-25-2020, 05:08 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Thats so insane to think about! I just re-fied at 2.7% on a 30 yr loan. I just ran the math and my monthly mortgage would be over $7k at that rate! Its like 3.5 X what I pay now.
1982-83 was a horrible time for the youngest boomers and oldest gen x entering the workforce. There was still massive inflation, insane interest rates, and a horrible recession. Parts of some states had unemployment rates over 20% during this time period.

Old 10-25-2020, 05:24 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,382,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
My first mortgage rate in 1982 was 16%. I hope we never go back to those days.

True but there is a flip-side. You savings were getting 16% returns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics