Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2020, 02:38 PM

3,773 posts, read 5,320,354 times

Advertisements

OP, have you gotten any answers to your questions yet?

So let's assume every working American is a graduate of some STEM field.

How many applicants is that?

Now how many STEM jobs are available in America right now?

How many jobs in America pay over $15 an hour?

This is a subtract A from B question and is crucial to deciding the credibility of all this talk of how America's job problem is just an issue of needing more education.

Hard numbers beats speculation.

It has been several days. Have you made an effort to find these answers yet?

I don't vouch for these numbers, but then I only spent 2 minutes on the search.

https://tsaweb.org/teams/competitors/stem-careers

8.6 million STEM jobs, which makes up 6.2% of the work force.

So, 8.6 million divided by 0.062 equals 138.7 million total jobs. So, let me see: A minus B. Hmmm, that would be 138.7 million minus 8.6 million, or 130.1 million. Okay, what is my prize?

I'll let you answer the $15/hour question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2020, 12:51 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,369,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobHunter2018 View Post
You're talking about culling the population as a solution for this? Of course, then let's start with the rich.
Too many competing, does not mean culling - that is offensive. Besides, in no way are you competing with the rich - what nonsense.

Quote:
My stats were certainly not in any way just an assertion. Maybe you need to rethink your argument?
Your assertion was "Half the jobs out there pay $15 or less, median pay is $18k or $9/hour." You should reread your link - it doesn't back your statement. The link says
Quote:
44% of all workers—qualify as “low-wage.” Their median hourly wages are $10.22
Reading is not your strong suit. In what way is 44% same as half and $10.22/hr the same as $9. Probably should read the study that you linked. They were doing an analysis on their definition of low wage and not straight data, they excluded many workers in attempt to isolate only low wages and defined low wages differently for each metro area. It was an analysis of massaged data, where I linked the official government data that has the actual medians which shows much higher levels. Maybe you need to rethink your argument - your assertion is not backed by the data.

Old 12-21-2020, 05:27 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,878,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
That's a big fallacy to assume that you could ever get every working American to learn a STEM subject. A very large percentage of the population is stubbornly resistant to learning anything to do with math or that involves any creative thinking (or working overtime)

That's the reason STEM based jobs pay well. It's because so many people refuse to learn how to do the job. That makes the number of potential employees limited and big salaries are needed to lure the capable ones in.
In other countries, STEM doesn't pay well because talent is common. So this is correct.

Old 12-21-2020, 05:38 AM

Quote:
You're talking about culling the population as a solution for this? Of course, then let's start with the rich.
Mathematically speaking it would be best to put poor people on birth control.

Old 12-21-2020, 02:46 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
You are so incredibly dishonest and cowardly that you can't back up a shred of what you say with documented facts.
I did. All you got is propaganda.

Quote:
Here's one simple fact that destroys every ounce of your ignorant, childish trust fund baby-fueled rant:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/minimum...low-wage-jobs/

Now come on, big tough guy, step up and refute those documented facts. Or was all that big talk just a symptom of the emptiness inside your skull?

Most of the 53 million Americans working in low-wage jobs are adults in their prime working years, or between about 25 to 54, they noted. Their median hourly wage is $10.22 per hour — that's above the federal minimum wage of $7.25 an hour but well below what's considered the living wage for many regions.
That's propaganda from the Liberal Brookings Institute.

And this poster...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Don't let facts get in the way - according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the median weekly earnings of hourly wage workers in the US in 2nd quarter 2020 is $994 which translates to almost $25/hr ($24.85) which is 65% more than $15/hr and gives an annual wage close to $50K/yr.

Even in the 16-19 year old group makes $498/wk or about $12.45/hr and about $25K/yr for median income - well above your $18K/yr or $9/hr assertion.

...just blew you and your propaganda masquerading as truth out of the water.

The claims of the Brookings Institute are true if, and only if, the Cost-of-Living is uniform throughout the entire United States and your own government admits that it is not.

Which is more: $44,000 or $100,000?

That is a trick question. 100,000 > 44,000 but the minute you stick that "$" in front of those numbers it changes everything

Now, $44,000 can be less than, equal to, or greater than $100,000 and it all depends on the Cost-of-Living for any of the 392 Metropolitan Statistical Areas you are comparing.

$10.22/hour in San Fransisco does not equal $10.22/hour in Cincinnati.

At $10.22/hour in San Fransisco, you'd probably be sharing a $2,250/month one room efficiency with 3 other people.

In Cincinnati, at $10.22/hour you'd be living in this 2-bedroom and still have $960/month to spend.

Isn't that nice?

Of course, if you want a 2-bedroom with a swimming pool you'll have to pay an exorbitant $500-$550/month.

Because you cannot afford to live where you live it does not logically follow that everyone else in the US cannot afford to live where they live.

So, why don't you define "living wage" objectively in no uncertain terms?

After you do that, I'll teach you the horrors of Demand-pull Inflation, because it's certain you have no idea what that is.

Old 12-21-2020, 02:52 PM

518 posts, read 400,372 times
I legit tried to do some math today on paper...I hate to say it...I couldn't do it as I forgot how to do division and when to carry a number etc etc.

Old 12-22-2020, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWidow View Post
I legit tried to do some math today on paper...I hate to say it...I couldn't do it as I forgot how to do division and when to carry a number etc etc.
I can't do math on paper either. Not a big deal unless there is an endless solar flare. We need to improve our EMP protection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics