Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2020, 06:18 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times

Advertisements

It’s a good stimulus package - for sudan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2020, 07:33 AM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
Bunch of idiots running the Country - $600 pays for nothing and many people over the $75K threshold are struggling but will get nothing. $300 weekly enhanced unemployment benefits for a lousy 11 weeks is also pretty useless - minus taxes - that barely supports a weekly food bill for a family whose breadwinner won't even qualify for the $600 - presuming 1 employed and 1 unemployed adult in the household. MONTHS of these idiots debating this - and the most needed provisions - extension of loan repayment and loan forgiveness - not even addressed, with no money for state and local governments. Means more layoffs, more loan defaults and zero assistance to senior citizens - they are not even addressed. So who got all the money? Foreign aid to Sudan did very well. Asia got money (thanks for Covid by the way) and so did the Ukraine and Nepal. They got 4.7 billion dollars. We got nothing. It is our money. Maybe we should just open up a small business - those are the only ones that seem to have made out in the deal. Of course, you need to be a politically connected business owner to actually see any of the money - but hell - that's why all those political donations pay off.
The foreign aide , aid to the arts, etc was not part of the Covid relief package. That was the regular annual funding the government bill, it just happened to be done at the same time as the Covid relief package. I agree with you the Covid relief package doesn't go far enough (especially when it comes to state and local aid) but it does NOT give money to foreign countries. That seems to be a rumor started on Facebook but it is not true.

"On Dec. 21, lawmakers in both chambers of Congress passed a $2.3 trillion spending package: a roughly $1.4 trillion omnibus spending bill — consisting of 12 different bills to fund the government during fiscal year 2021 — and a separate, approximately $900 billion bill specifically for COVID-19 relief. Lawmakers also passed several other smaller bills."

"It’s the $1.4 trillion part of the package that included funding for U.S. policies and priorities within the country and abroad. The Facebook post conflates provisions of the COVID-19 relief bill with provisions in the omnibus spending bill."

https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...ill-includes-/

Old 12-24-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
No student loan relief - useless stimulus package

IMO there shouldn't be student loan relief, especially to forgive the loans. Thousands of people paid their loans yet more didn't. Student loans are one of my biggest peeves. I didn't go to college because I couldn't afford it. I went to tech school to learn a trade during high school so it cost me nothing.

My son who's now 35 tried art institute in Philadelphia but decided it wasn't for him. Best decision he made because 3 quarters cost about $20,000 back then. His 2 room mates have not been able to find jobs in computer animation. He got in with DirecTV who trained him, was there about 8 years. Now he's with Comcast for the last 3 years. As far as I know, they still train people. It's a decent job to earn a living without having to go to college or trade school.

I don't understand why seniors would need assistance. They have not lost jobs due to COVID. I know it's hard to live on social security because I'm on it. It doesn't pay much. Hopefully when my hub retires his pension will help as well as his investments and savings. Some seniors just didn't plan while others like us were wiped out by a cancer diagnosis as well as job loss but we're doing what we can to keep going.

Well Jake, you did pretty good yourself adding on to her thoughts. I agree, a lot young people think the government hands out free money to support their lazy a$$es! Get a job!

There are jobs out there for people wanting to earn. My 63 year old husband was put out of work early March when dealerships closed down. He delivers new cars. He did unemployment for a month but decided he couldn't sit around doing nothing so he applied to Sam's club, Acme and a few other places looking for help because people were not going to stores to do their own shopping.

He ended up breaking his hand at Sam's while lugging cases of water. In the end they're denying it happened there. His company went back to work the end of July but he couldn't due to the hand. He's been back to work about 6 weeks now, we're still trying to catch up.
I don't really think this is fair. I went back to college in my late 20's after 12 years of dead end jobs that went nowhere. It resulted in what has been a good career as an OT. Yes I started at CC to save money, but if I did everything today exactly the same as I did then, my loan debt would be well over $150,000 when back then it was about $40,000. Because they keep doing things like raising the educational requirements. I needed a BS, now it's an MS. PT was a BS, then an MS, now a Doctorate.

I tried a million other avenues before college, went to bartending school, was a phlebotomist, on and on. If I hadn't gone to college I'd still be struggling.

This is a huge scam on Americans and students perpetuated by schools, the government and even professional organizations. They are getting rich as Moses, and meanwhile people blame the students who are simply trying to better their lives.

We had a rehab aide who tried to better herself and went to trade school to be a medical assistant and phlebotomist. They roped her into tens of thousands of loans. Yes, she wasn't that bright and was probably very naive, something which is probably true to millions. In the end she discovered none of the labs even hire full time, and because she needed health insurance for her and her daughter she couldn't even use the degree.

Not everyone has parents who can steer them into good decisions. It shouldn't mean they are forced to live out their lives with a yoke around their necks because they tried to make their lives better.

I'm not saying student loans should be forgiven, but I find it a sad statement on our society that people would blame them versus the system we have created that allows this to happen.

Old 12-24-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
It’s a good stimulus package - for sudan
Sudan got money in the Omnibus spending bill, not the Covid Relief package.

Old 12-24-2020, 08:10 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times
Let me say one thing which I told somebody else in a conversation on a checkout line....

What good is a $600 or even $2000 check? It gets people by...

But it ain't gonna help much. But other person said it is better than nothing.

Well it sure is better than nothing but it won't save people from this pandemic.

The real measure we need is creating order and putting people back to work. I can attest knowing how staying at home for an extended amount of time can screw people mentally.

We are social creatures we cannot operate alone for extended amount of time. People will self destruct and families can break apart if they are forced to shelter for a long time.

What we need is creating a task force that will go around and enforce safety protocols and open everything back up.

You don't need rules like limiting stores to just 1/4 capacity when you can enforce a certain PPE to allow for more capacity. It's dumb business killing moves that are killing businesses and jobs.

If there's a capacity rule, why don't they implement that in a hospital? No because they all wear proper PPEs to allow for close interactions.

What we need are people with brains to run the government.

Old 12-24-2020, 08:40 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,127,012 times
None of this is free. It all will need paid back. Whether it be college, stimulus, or whatever. It all will cost you regardless.

Old 12-24-2020, 09:07 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,233,950 times
Foreign aid needs to be eliminated. We don’t have money to help other countries.

Old 12-24-2020, 10:17 AM

23,859 posts, read 33,518,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't really think this is fair. I went back to college in my late 20's after 12 years of dead end jobs that went nowhere. It resulted in what has been a good career as an OT. Yes I started at CC to save money, but if I did everything today exactly the same as I did then, my loan debt would be well over $150,000 when back then it was about $40,000. Because they keep doing things like raising the educational requirements. I needed a BS, now it's an MS. PT was a BS, then an MS, now a Doctorate.

I tried a million other avenues before college, went to bartending school, was a phlebotomist, on and on. If I hadn't gone to college I'd still be struggling.

This is a huge scam on Americans and students perpetuated by schools, the government and even professional organizations. They are getting rich as Moses, and meanwhile people blame the students who are simply trying to better their lives.

We had a rehab aide who tried to better herself and went to trade school to be a medical assistant and phlebotomist. They roped her into tens of thousands of loans. Yes, she wasn't that bright and was probably very naive, something which is probably true to millions. In the end she discovered none of the labs even hire full time, and because she needed health insurance for her and her daughter she couldn't even use the degree.

Not everyone has parents who can steer them into good decisions. It shouldn't mean they are forced to live out their lives with a yoke around their necks because they tried to make their lives better.

I'm not saying student loans should be forgiven, but I find it a sad statement on our society that people would blame them versus the system we have created that allows this to happen.
I agree that the system is so messed up now. You need a degree to get most jobs now. I don't know what the answer is but people need to pay their loans. They need to find cheaper schools and learn that this money they're getting for housing will make the loan way bigger.

In one thread an autistic guy is saying his GF gets $24,000 a year to live on and she can support them both. I guess she doesn't realize that will be a target on her back at some point in debt.

Old 12-24-2020, 10:39 AM

3,773 posts, read 5,320,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Sudan got money in the Omnibus spending bill, not the Covid Relief package.
It doesn't matter. Our government giving money away to foreign countries at a time when people and businesses in the USA are hurting is totally insane. ALL of the aid, no matter what the bill is called, should be going to US citizens at this time. How in the hell.o does money to Sudan help US citizens?

I also note that they gave $ millions to some gender b.s. program in Pakistan; as if a bunch of Muslims care about the gender b.s. promoted by US liberals.

China goes to places like Pakistan and builds ports, transportation infrastructure, and assists in the development of natural resources. We promote liberal b.s. Who do you think the warlords ruling over places like Pakistan are going to back?

Old 12-24-2020, 05:50 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,206,898 times
Logrolling - When favors are met so certain politicians will vote for the bill, hence the 10 million dollars for Gender Programs in Pakistan.

Crazy right. The system is not functioning properly because of human greed by our politicians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics