Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 03:20 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times

Advertisements

We should stop paying people to sit on the couch and watch re-runs of Wheel of Fortune.

Early on in the pandemic, it made sense to give out enhanced benefits, as we had no idea what we were up against.

Nowadays, I see "Help Wanted" signs everywhere. If you have a pulse, you can get a job - probably not the job of your dreams, of course, but you can get a job. Small businesses I know cannot get anyone to apply - the unemployed are too busy having a great paid vacation.

We are no longer in the early stages of the Pandemic. It is time to stop paying people not to work, and encourage them to get up and support themselves. Businesses that cannot make it in the Pandemic era need to close for good to enable a reallocation of capital towards something that CAN make it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2021, 03:37 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,180 times
I don't call them disaster relief funds or stimulus. I call them refunds. We'd all be a bit better off if the government would just take LESS.

Old 01-18-2021, 08:37 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
All of the people my wife works with live paycheck to paycheck and they already spent their stimulus package before receiving. One that is has 2 kids, 3 dogs, a house payment over 55% of takehome is using the funds to pay for a trip to hawaii.

Needless to say these funds aren't going to people who need it nor being spent on what we should be spending it on.

The goal of a stimulus plan is to increase the velocity of money, and it really doesn't matter what kind of spending that involves- it all leads to economic growth.

We still haven't spent the first round of stimulus payments- it's sitting in a savings account because it dropped right when the stock market was way too volatile for our tastes to just dump into a fund and just kind of forgot to do anything with it. Second stimulus payment is getting moved into that second account with no real plan for it either.

The person who took those payments straight to the liquor store for ciggies, booze and scratch offs? They've done far, far more with their stimulus check to get the economy back on track than we have because they actually increased demand for consumer products with their actions. And hey, the scratch offs (aka the voluntary stupidity tax) even kicked some funds back into state government coffers.

Old 01-19-2021, 07:32 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
$end it baby, as long as they shower us with lots of "relief", I am good with
whatever they call it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics