Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 08:05 AM

4,141 posts, read 3,054,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
In August 2009, The New York Times reported that McAfee's personal fortune had declined to $4 million from a peak of $100 million, the effect of the financial crisis of 2007–2008 on his investments.

so 10 years ago he was down to 4mm according to NYT.

Bad investments/big spending could easily dwindle that fortune to nothing in 10 years

Guy has been the crazy train for years, running full speed...........at some point its going off the tracks in a big crash.
Here's the article:
https://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/21/b...y.html?_r=1&hp

John McAfee has a reply in the comments section. His "investments" included Lehman Brothers bonds and expensive personal real estate (as opposed to buying rental properties that earn a profit). He had to sell much of this real estate at a loss in order to cut down on his expenses.

When I read a New York Times commentary, I find that I just can't relate to the person writing the commentary. As I scrolled through the comments on this article, I found that I really can't relate to the New York Times readers. The amount of jealousy, greed, and envy expressed was staggering. Of course, I'm pretty sure that the New York Times writers and readers can't relate to me, either.

Also, the commenters complained about people with a net worth of $4 million, without asking for a breakdown of income and expenses. There is no amount of money that cannot be outspent. As Charles Dickens said in David Copperfield:

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2021, 10:59 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,581,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

I'm not even sure he's a rich guy, his life has been super sketchy and on the run for quite some time. I think he might actually be mentally ill, or else drug use has maybe addled him.

Ita. I just read about him & he has been super sketchy & erratic a long time. Drug & alcohol abuse since he was young...off & on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I DO find some ironic amusement that John used to say I would never survive my "chaotic" life ... Takes one to know one I guess.

John McAfee is charged with crimes now tho....what do you mean it takes one to know one?

Quote:
He's always been paranoid but it's not drug use. I don't know, it's been about 17 years since we've talked but the guy was so absolutely, 100% against substance abuse. He's actually a recovered alcoholic

Quote:

Faull was murdered in 2012 & I haven't spoken to John since 2003.
Quote:
He thought I was the runaway train that he could "save" by proposing to me & now here he is; full speed ahead. I chose to save myself, only he can save himself now. Or maybe he can't, maybe it's gone too far. I DO know what it's like to involved with something that's so twisted out of context that you can barely recognize it when you see it on the news.

This makes no sense. His father was an abusive alcoholic & shot himself. He 1st started taking drugs when that happened AND...he got married in 2002 according to what I read about him to some woman that left him because of his drug & alcohol addictions & erratic behavior. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 03-14-2021, 09:46 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
John McAfee is charged with crimes now tho....what do you mean it takes one to know one?
I meant what I said. "Different" people recognize other different people. Have you ever heard the term "gaydar"? It's like that.

Quote:
This makes no sense. His father was an abusive alcoholic & shot himself. He 1st started taking drugs when that happened AND...he got married in 2002 according to what I read about him to some woman that left him because of his drug & alcohol addictions & erratic behavior. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
He's actually married now, to a woman who was "different" in a similar way that I am different. I think she's great for him, a good match. I don't believe he was married in 2002 but he has been married multiple times. If he was married in 2002, I never met her. After some 'most eligible millionaire' article was published, he started receiving piles of mail from women all over the world sending nude pictures, all begging him to meet her. I've gone through his mail with him before, to help him decide who he would meet. Meaning, who would he fly out for a weekend & then send home. Maybe he kept one of them around for longer than a weekend, who knows? But I kind of doubt it.

Drug addiction recovery is a fluid process. His addiction has interfered with relationships in the past but it was all about organics & yoga when I was dating him. He once said "A few years ago I was lying in a gutter in L.A., covered in my own puke & now I have more money than I can spend. But now I can't trust anybody to like me for me. When I was at my worst, I could."

Old 03-14-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I meant what I said. "Different" people recognize other different people. Have you ever heard the term "gaydar"? It's like that.

Yes..ofc heard of it. But the thread is about John McAfee being indicted of a crime & you were saying that it takes one to know one....I thought you were saying that you have been charged with a crime in your life too.

Old 03-15-2021, 09:47 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Yes..ofc heard of it. But the thread is about John McAfee being indicted of a crime & you were saying that it takes one to know one....I thought you were saying that you have been charged with a crime in your life too.
It's not what I was consciously referring to but yes, I actually have been & it happened right before I met John, so maybe it was a subconscious statement.

I was jailed for 3 months with no bond for possession of a drug I didn't have, because my arresting officer was working for an ATF task force involved with a RICO act case, trying to indict an ex BF. I was the alibi witness & Feds are infamous for targeting the 'weak link' in investigations with groups that are tight-lipped. Unfortunately for me, women are often seen as the weak link. I had no prior record & they thought I would roll over to get myself out of trouble.

That didn't go well for them. I was wrongly intimidated, interrogated & terrified but I didn't waver. After 3 months my arresting officer was found guilty of misconduct & improper evidence handling & the RICO raid & subsequent trials, which made national news at the time, went down without me. Forty seven indictments & my ex-BFs case was thrown out of federal court.

I had a huge mistrust of law enforcement when I met John but that was a long time ago. I'm a 'thin blue line' supporter now. For the good cops, not the corrupt ones. John has a built-in mistrust of all people, not just law enforcement. Maybe my past appealed to him (lol) & I wasn't aware of it. Instead, he seemed to be on a mission to get me away from my crazy life & into a healthy lifestyle. I'm just feeling a lot of personal irony atm.

Old 03-15-2021, 10:16 AM

Quote:
It's not what I was consciously referring to but yes, I actually have been & it happened right before I met John, so maybe it was a subconscious statement.

I was jailed for 3 months with no bond for possession of a drug I didn't have, because my arresting officer was working for an ATF task force involved with a RICO act case, trying to indict an ex BF. I was the alibi witness & Feds are infamous for targeting the 'weak link' in investigations with groups that are tight-lipped. Unfortunately for me, women are often seen as the weak link. I had no prior record & they thought I would roll over to get myself out of trouble.

That didn't go well for them. I was wrongly intimidated, interrogated & terrified but I didn't waver. After 3 months my arresting officer was found guilty of misconduct & improper evidence handling & the RICO raid & subsequent trials, which made national news at the time, went down without me. Forty seven indictments & my ex-BFs case was thrown out of federal court.

I had a huge mistrust of law enforcement when I met John but that was a long time ago. I'm a 'thin blue line' supporter now. For the good cops, not the corrupt ones. John has a built-in mistrust of all people, not just law enforcement. Maybe my past appealed to him (lol) & I wasn't aware of it. Instead, he seemed to be on a mission to get me away from my crazy life & into a healthy lifestyle. I'm just feeling a lot of personal irony atm.

Oh...so you feel irony because McAfee was caught & he is in jail in Spain?¯\_(ツ)_/¯

He is super crazy & it keeps getting worse....but it goes back to his dad’s suicide. AND lots of drugs & alcohol. I watched an old episode of Dateline about him.

Old 06-23-2021, 06:59 PM

71 posts, read 81,409 times
Here its how the story ends....Antivirus software pioneer John McAfee dead after hanging himself in jail
Sad Sad ....But perhaps he thought better to do this than spend miserable time in prison.
Can understand his position. As we all are going to die anyway...better to die sooner than spend the latter years inside bars.

RIP.

https://nypost.com/2021/06/23/john-m...-in-barcelona/

Old 06-23-2021, 08:54 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,431,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by czargreat View Post
Here its how the story ends....Antivirus software pioneer John McAfee dead after hanging himself in jail
Sad Sad ....But perhaps he thought better to do this than spend miserable time in prison.
Can understand his position. As we all are going to die anyway...better to die sooner than spend the latter years inside bars.

RIP.

https://nypost.com/2021/06/23/john-m...-in-barcelona/

Sometimes they kill them in prison and make it look like a suicide. Especially if he was running away from some bad people.

Old 06-23-2021, 09:03 PM

8,666 posts, read 3,868,982 times
Quote:

When I saw his name pop up here, I thought, "Oh no, what now"! The funny thing is that when we were seeing each other, I was the one he was worried about.
Quote:
Instead, he seemed to be on a mission to get me away from my crazy life & into a healthy lifestyle. I'm just feeling a lot of personal irony atm.
Quote:
I really do hope he makes it through this latest drama okay but I swear, even cats only have 9 lives. His stunt in Belize probably cost him a few of those, lol.
McAfee was on a (well-documented) downward spiral relative to his own mental health for decades. Are you suggesting you dated McAfee - and he was the stable one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by czargreat View Post
Sadly, it's as if one could (long) see this coming.

Old 06-23-2021, 09:15 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,058,060 times
I just watched the John McAfee biography a few months ago.

He lived a crazy life, I'm frankly suprized he even made it to 75.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics