Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 05:50 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Thank you, 16th amendment, for giving congress ability to tax and use the money as THEY wish.
Thank you, good folk, for letting this happen and putting up with their debauchery on your money.

And, according to democrats convention, no, don’t care about debt. .
Ukrkoz, have you been around for the last four years? Have you seen the ACTUAL amount of national debt that increased under Trump? You dare mention the "democrats?" I'm confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2021, 06:15 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,253,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyfanatic85 View Post
IMO, this is out of control and a serious concern of mine heading forward. Do we really think we can spend our way to prosperity and not have to deal with the looming debt crisis? Currently approaching $30 trillion, with SS/Medicare to explode by the end of the decade. How is this sustainable? Is anyone else not concerned?
The National Debt is not sustainable at the current level. At $223,000 per taxpayer, and federal debt to GDP ratio a staggering 129.78%, the United States is rushing towards insolvency. My personal opinion is that we have passed the point of ever being able to pay off this debt, which means we will be bankrupt.

For those that say so what, the government will figure something out, let me remind you that the politicians from both sides of the aisle created this, and inept politicians cannot fix it.
I think most Americans are living with their heads buried in the sand, denying the reality of what’s coming.

Old 03-11-2021, 09:06 PM

805 posts, read 1,084,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
The National Debt is not sustainable at the current level. At $223,000 per taxpayer, and federal debt to GDP ratio a staggering 129.78%, the United States is rushing towards insolvency. My personal opinion is that we have passed the point of ever being able to pay off this debt, which means we will be bankrupt.

For those that say so what, the government will figure something out, let me remind you that the politicians from both sides of the aisle created this, and inept politicians cannot fix it.
I think most Americans are living with their heads buried in the sand, denying the reality of what’s coming.
This sums up my thoughts exactly. We cannot put this off forever.

Old 03-11-2021, 09:28 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
I am not.

Old 03-11-2021, 09:48 PM

71 posts, read 81,307 times
This country is going to keep spending as long as the world keeps financing. Once the world realizes that it is not a good deal to keep financing the spendthrift US economy, inflation will increase and interest rates will jump and force belt tightening. We can’t spend other people’s money and run the most bloated government in the world. We spend more on military than next 10 countries combined. Have the most expensive healthcare system with poorer outcomes. Education is another gravy train. We produce less than we consume. At the same time, we are trying to integrate millions from south of the border and refugees from across the world. We are trying to be generous with other people’s money. It is a ponzi scheme and can keep going for a long time. But can collapse like a pack of cards or the way a punctured tire looses pressure slowly. But this has been going on for a long time now and the ponzi scheme continues. But remember not many expected the worst pandemic after 1918 to happen in our lifetimes. So history has not ended by any means. An economic rebalancing might happen when least expected.

Old 03-11-2021, 09:55 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,814,733 times
Isn't most of this 'debt' just a bookkeeping entry on the Federal Reserve's balance sheet?
So we can simply roll it over with new debt at 0% and it NEVER has to be repaid... just spent!

The bigger issue is if all the US$$ held by other countries and foreigners is repatriated to the US to buy STUFF or sold on the currency markets.
That's when the $#1t will hit the fan and price inflation will inflict pain on ordinary Americans.
Till then, we're still the least ugly girl at the dance so why worry?

Old 03-11-2021, 10:26 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,524,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post

Yes, SS and Medicare are headed to insolvency.
Yet the pot of money for welfare, food stamps and section 8 housing never seems to run out.

Old 03-11-2021, 10:29 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
If it hasn't bankrupt us yet why would it be any different years from now?

Old 03-11-2021, 11:10 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Concerned, yes.
Able to balance it, nope.
Not sure how often the feds do an audit, would be interesting to see though how much is fluff to keep the public blind to the waste.
I recall delving into this in a High school course.
Interesting that we have "UNCOLLECTED" fines from Corps that are sitting there. Millions . But its typical to say that wouldn't make a dent in the overall deficit. I say, ohh just try. It can't hurt now can it? Anytime you can lower it, its a step in the right direction.

Old 03-12-2021, 12:07 AM

30,893 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyfanatic85 View Post
IMO, this is out of control and a serious concern of mine heading forward. Do we really think we can spend our way to prosperity and not have to deal with the looming debt crisis? Currently approaching $30 trillion, with SS/Medicare to explode by the end of the decade. How is this sustainable? Is anyone else not concerned?
It's not sustainable.

I'm beyond being concerned.

I'm preparing for a collapse because the momentum is just too strong at this point. People are waking up, but not enough of us, and not fast enough. Something horrible will have to happen before enough people will be willing to change their current way of thinking about things.

I am not happy about this, but I accept it.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 03-12-2021 at 12:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics